CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
MB2

Reged: 12/14/05

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: griffin]
      #180150 - 03/20/09 07:10 PM

I'm Certain That Don Cherry Is My Dad!

LOWER TORONTO-- For the first sixteen years of my life, I had no idea who my father was. I was raised by my mother, a former hockey-groupie, and she had told me that my father was a reckless, Zamboni operator who had died in a freak ice-resurfacing accident on Lake Athabasca. I never questioned her, because I had no reason to.

But it was when I turned 17, and I was at a Maple Leafs game--they were playing the Montreal Canadiens--when I began to suspect that my mother was not forthright with my lineage. I had seen "him" before, the flamboyant hockey celebrity who appeared weekly on Hockey Night In Canada, but never in person, and never up close.

During the second intermission Don Cherry saw me from across the concourse level. Of course, he was surrounded by dozens of adoring hockey fans, mostly women--and why not? He has all the charm of a Baltic prince. But when his eyes caught mine, there was shock and realization, an unexplainable recognition that hit him like a Tie Domi hip check.

I knew at once that this was my true father. And Mr. Cherry must have concluded the same, as his demeanor changed. He must have immediately noticed the resemblance--and who wouldn't? I wanted to speak to him right then and there, but unfortunately he was swept away in a wave of admirers.

I should have figured it out sooner. It certainly explained my love for the Boston Bruins and my appreciation for high-collared shirts. I had always thought it was a desperate cry for attention. I never had a father-figure in my life.

What will he do, this icon of Canadian sports, now that he's seen me? Will he acknowledge me as his daughter during an upcoming broadcast of "Coach's Corner" on Hockey Night In Canada? Will he interrupt Ron Maclean during one of his whimsical commentaries, stating his paternity before a live national audience, stirring up more of the same controversy for which he is best known?

I'm not sure if I'm ready to accept the mantle of responsibility attached to the Cherry legacy. I know I could deliver the same brand of adversarial anecdotes as the Grape One--it's in my blood--but would I be accepted by the critical Canadian crowds?

I know I could learn to speak more like you. "Oh father, I know I'm a good-lookin' kid, doncha know. You're tops in my book too I tell ya. Hey, listen, I understand you've got your pride, and heck, you've got to what you got to do. Give it 110%, and do it for the team eh? That's hockey!"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: MB2]
      #180152 - 03/20/09 07:37 PM

I read your first paragraph MB and suffice to say let's get on with hockey dammit!

How much will Pronger's contract consume of the cap??
Spstman it's too dam late to give anything like a Perron for Pronger......to make that deal and fall short while Perron moves on is the old way of the Note....no more!
I expect JD to make a major move or two in the offseason....but I hope it ain't Perron for Pronger! I would def consider Perron nucleus to wtf this club should be building with. I wouldn't throw Polak out there for him either!
I say what I say of Jackman cuzz the guy can't execute well enough....he is not good with transition passing and he loses way too many scraps for the puck....and he ain't exactly a threat from the point. He ain't a bum but spend the 4 mil on sumbody else.
And keep Bishop on the bench til the fat lady sings! Loud!
This thing ain't over yet boys!

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

MB2

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: last_stand]
      #180157 - 03/20/09 07:49 PM

I hope you guys get it....hell, I hope anyone gets the Cup.

Those heathens in the front office in Toronto already have my money for next year.

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#180158 - 03/20/09 07:54 PM

Hey did ya hear that Nascar is on Saturday and Sunday? The old heroes are racing Saturday!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

MB2

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Bubba]
      #180162 - 03/20/09 08:02 PM

I just got asked to run a women's golf league yesterday. I'll take it, if the pro gets enough girls together.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#180167 - 03/20/09 11:25 PM

Miss B....thanks for the Cherry post, that's a good find....made me laugh out loud and I enjoyed it.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

MB2

#180173 - 03/21/09 02:46 AM

Well, he's one Dude that hates the Russians, and isn't afraid to say it, but the man is just over-exposed here, like the rest of sport.

When I think "Blue", I don't think about the Leafs, or the Notes though. I think "Blue", his dog, and I never knew this, but when I went to insure Casey, he has a pet insurance line, called "Cherry Blue".

You Might Be Picked In The Next Hockey Draft

OTTAWA-- The Ministry of Sports, on the advice of the Honourable Wayne Gretzky, has put forward a recommendation to parliament to improve the current legislation in the National Sports Act. The proposed amendment, expected to receive a speedy ascent, will require that "all able-bodied people between the ages of nine and nineteen" participate for at least two years in the national sport of ice hockey.

The Act currently requires only one year of service, and is limited to young men.

The majority of Canadians are supportive of the law, which was first introduced in 1972 after Team Canada's dramatic victory over the Russians. At the time, there weren't enough rinks to handle the overwhelming influx of players, but the government was able to generate more revenue for the hockey program by increasing the tax on miniature replica Stanley Cups sold to European tourists.

Upon completion of service, Canadian hockey players (with sufficient skills) are invited to continue to play hockey as a career. Those who have become a liability are encouraged to take up curling.

"We've worked hard to adjust some of our more dated legislation to reflect changes in Canada over the past 30 years," said Maurice Bellevue, minister responsible and table-hockey legend. "Canadians now expect their national teams to win, not just to place third or fourth, and there is a belief that every Canadian should be able to jump over the boards and trade punches with the best Russia or the United States can offer."

The amendment will expand the draft to include young women and even special needs children. Sled hockey and ringette will become acceptable alternatives for federal hockey duty.

Presently, Sweden is the only other country that demands hockey service of their citizens, although Russia once had a strong program developed within in their army. The island nation of Trinidad has a similar law that encompasses the sport of high-jumping, and Cuba had one for kayaking, but none of the athletes ever returned.

"To me it's as Canadian as Medicare," said Nelson Fitzgerald, the coach of the "Threshers," a nationally-sponsored team of disadvantaged farm youths in Saskatoon. "They can cut the Crow rate, they can tax cheese up to my eyeballs, but don't take away these essential programs that keep us from degenerating into some kind of free-market economy, where only the rich (who can afford all the equipment needed) can play."

Most Canadian youths enter into the program willingly, but there is a draft held every June. Everyone loves hockey, so there is very little pressure put on Canadian citizens. And since there is no money spent on the Canadian military, more funding is available for hockey programs, allowing Canada to produce more world-class athletes.

"There is no greater honour than to serve," said The Great One, himself a product of the hockey conscription program. "We are the soldiers of our sport, and the ice is our battlefield." It is said that Gretzky may have ended up in lacrosse if hockey service had not been mandatory.

Although there is very little resistance to the law a small minority try to circumvent it by enrolling children in roller hockey, a perversion of the national sport. "That's a frickin' atrocity," blurted Don Cherry, a pioneer in Canada's militant hockey service. "Why not allow our children to wear diapers until they're 16? If we coddle the kids now, the future of our great nation will be in the hands of nanny-clutching bedwetters."

Satire.

last_stand

#180185 - 03/21/09 09:07 AM

Dayum sweet last night! Go Blues!

As for Oshie....they got him listed at 170lbs....so say he's 180....still...how the fork does he get away with all those hits without retaliation? The guy must be bi-polar with his manic side being 220lb wacko hit man. Dude seems to do it all.....he's our number one kid.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#180192 - 03/21/09 10:43 AM

Got good seats for game Tuesday night... Already pumped about the action... LA appears to be fading a bit but you can rest assured they haven't given up. Should be another playoff-like game...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: sptsman]
      #180195 - 03/21/09 03:37 PM

Damn , when will the forking season be over....

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand

#180200 - 03/21/09 05:09 PM

We hope it's June for the Blues!
bwaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

last_stand

#180561 - 03/24/09 04:40 PM

Big game tonight....we're 0-3 against the Kings too....so.............just for you Bubba....GO BLUES !!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180568 - 03/24/09 06:17 PM

No doubt.....the 4th time we've had "the biggest game of the year" in the last 10 days.

In all seriousness......a must win for them.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180581 - 03/24/09 09:14 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
may just be the most undisciplined, deranged, pin ball wheeling lunatic to ever wear the note........it's about time we got one of 'em.

If Murray doesn't kill him by letting him attack so relentlessly.....the kid will help lead the team to some great things.

That started this thread.....and it still holds....the kid is gonna kill hisself.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#180705 - 03/25/09 07:03 AM

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...............the last hit he made cleaned Stoll's clock....then Johnson comes over and grabs him by the scruff and gets the penalty......bwaaaaaaaaaaa.....Oshie looked like a kid on his way to the principles office during the whole thing....

--------------------

sptsman

#180787 - 03/25/09 02:42 PM

Went to the game and sat in some primo seats. Only second game of the year for me... That sucks!! I forgot how much you miss when you watch it on TV.

Here are a few observations from the good seats:

Those kids can flat play. They have the God-given talent, the heart, desire and effort. But dayum, they make a lot of mistakes!! Out of position too often, taking chances at the wrong times, getting stuck out on the ice too long. Fortunately, they have the skill and speed to recover from most mistakes but I look at it two ways. First, if they do make the playoffs, they will likely get smoked because of the youth and inexperience. You just can't make those kinds of mistakes against teams like San Jose and Detroit. Second, think how good they can be once they learn how to play the game at the NHL level.

We are sorely lacking a puck moving defenseman. If they stumbled coming out of their own zone and in transition once, they stumbled a dozen times or more. Goof grief that is frustrating. Get Pronger.

Perron has skill but he needs to put on at least 25 lbs or learn to skate like Dennis Savard or Gretzky. That kid gets knocked off the puck to easily. Good hands and good vision though!!

Tkachuk played soft and seems to hit like he doesn't want to break the eggs under his uniform. He finally parked in front of the net in the 3rd period and we scored. He didn't get the assist on that first goal but he was as key as the others. He parked in front of the keeper, screened him and allowed the play to happen.

Oshie is going to be a great player but needs to learn when to take chances and when not to gamble. He frequently gets caught on long shifts and puts the team in jeopardy. Once he learns the NHL game, he will be on the all-star team every year!

Go Blue!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#180793 - 03/25/09 03:00 PM

Both Perron and Oshie get caught out there ALOT.....that's obvious even on TV. I'll be watching, see the shift head for the bench...ad there goes Perron into the offensive zone again.

Wihtout a doubt the biggest mistake they KEEP making.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#180816 - 03/25/09 03:34 PM

Most of the mistakes are from being too aggressive. That's not all bad for talented kids. You can always tame a tiger but it can be real hard to light a fire under someone... They'll learn! It isn't the rush into the zone (at the end of a shift, when thy should have dumped and changed), it is the getting caught 15 seconds later in your own zone, with no legs, trying to help defend...

The other observation is my continued dislike for NHL officiating. Other than that buffoon Bettman, that runs the league, officiating is the weak link of the NHL. Those clowns blew at least two calls that were disgraceful. I don't mind when they miss a call. It happens. What ruins the game is when they do make-up calls or call things that just weren't there. I have officiated in at least three (3) different sports. I've been to some clinics and I have been yelled at by players, coaches and fans. One rule I was taught over and over was that you call what you see!! You don't anticipate what could happen. You don't call what you assume must have happened. You call what you see!! You can defend missing a call by simply saying, "I didn't see it..." You cannot defend a penalty that you called, when the violation never happened. These jerks last night were not the worst I've seen and I rarely defend Tkachuk ... but he got called for two penalties that were simply not penalties. One may have been marginal but the other was a hooking or tripping call that was just horrible.

Carry on!!

--------------------

last_stand

#180853 - 03/25/09 06:23 PM

I think Perron could use a few more pounds as well......he needn't be a tough guy but he should skate forward more often.
Oshie tries to do too much.....that's natural for his experience and the guy has so much energy he has to be doin sumpthin at all times....he has nearly cost us a number of times with late game stupid penalties....but he's easy to forgive.
I wish Polak would take more shots from the point.....he can wind it up and we need a bonafide threat from there.
The deal with makin the playoffs is all about experience for these young guys and the whole team in general....I am thinkin most of this team will stay in tact and it would be great to get this under their belt NOW.
And hell if we can get to the 8 spot keep goin to 7!!

--------------------

sptsman

#180910 - 03/26/09 08:57 AM

So, what happens tonight? Vancouver is playing strong these days and they have a pretty decent shot at overtaking Chicago and Calgary in the standing. Both of those teams are stumbling a bit and Vancouver is likely hungry to move up a spot or two in the standings...

Blues - 3 Vancouver - 2

--------------------

last_stand

#181098 - 03/26/09 10:40 PM

Close call Sptsman.

I tell ya....that was just a great hockey game.....and I know we got a lot of good young talent with potential but you have to say Oshie is the most valuable of them all. He is everywhere impacting everything every time he's out there......his goal tonight was absolutely beautiful.....you got 10 year veterans that wouldn't have held that shot like he did. Forget about potential. The guys doin it now.
I hope Mason can hold up....Big game with columbus then the HUGE road trip ahead......you can't ask for any more than this....

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#181107 - 03/26/09 11:10 PM

Just remember.....we've waited a long time for this...and it ain't THIS yet. Whatever we get this year is a bonus.....but goddamn it's fun to watch.

Nice to see the building full and the Blues fans having fun again.

Only 1 pt. out of 8th.....but also only 1 pt. out of 7th....they can make it.

I still say it takes better then 90 pts. to get in....count 'em.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#181126 - 03/27/09 06:07 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
I still say it takes better then 90 pts. to get in....count 'em.

griffin

Yeah that prediction is lookin good.

3 more games with Columbus.....that could be key.

--------------------

sptsman

#181127 - 03/27/09 06:33 AM

Good win for the boyz... I didn't get to see the 3rd but was very impressed with the regroup, after a slow start. The Oshie goal was sweeeeeet!!

Will almost certainly take 90 or more now... They'll need to take at least 3 out of the 4 points, from the back-to-back games, with the Blue Jackets... If they win that first game, don't be shocked to see Bishop in goal for the second. Mason is playing well but he is human. Riding a goalie that hard can wear the dude out and possibly help him get into some bad habits or a bit of a slump...

Go Blue...

--------------------

last_stand

#181131 - 03/27/09 07:05 AM

...and talk of bad officiating.....4 friggen phantom calls....the worst Ive seen all year.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 1669 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 44229

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page