CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)
MelModerator

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: last_stand]
      #181999 - 04/01/09 04:32 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Yeah...but I was looking for a little more depth in your answer....you do have time on your hands these days....perhaps you could provide some history as to where the term came from?

The Shadow knows.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Mel]
      #182010 - 04/01/09 05:54 PM

I will venture a guess that back in the old days when Mel was wearing a grey wool fedora , if a player scored 3 goals ,gentlemen would throw their hats on the rink.

Whats the deal with the octopussies?

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

MelModerator

Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Bubba]
      #182018 - 04/01/09 06:26 PM

Bubba, I have a hunch that you also remember the grey fedoras.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

Kit

Loc: Columbia, MO

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Mel]
      #182024 - 04/01/09 07:19 PM

That was the worst period of hockey I have seen in a long time.

--------------------
"If you're the only one who shits in something, you own it. Remember that."

Naz

Loc: somewhere not killing ducks

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Kit]
      #182026 - 04/01/09 07:22 PM

agreed, not what we have been seeing from the Note in the last couple months

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: Naz]
      #182029 - 04/01/09 07:37 PM

No forecheck whatsoever....slow/late on everything.
They need to sit Jackman down.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Kit

#182038 - 04/01/09 08:54 PM

Man, the Blues sucked tonight!

--------------------

last_stand

#182042 - 04/01/09 09:28 PM

yeah they did....never got into their game and never knew what hit them. The Hawks were ready to play.
IF they had won tonight they prolly coulda coasted 3-2 on the remainder of the season. Now we gotta go 4-1 minimum to close it out and the "1" could well be tomorrow night. We can't tie with the Oilers cuzz they get the nod.
Lots to go.....I think they can do it.

--------------------

bgbrdhntr

Loc: MO

#182054 - 04/02/09 07:18 AM

They're not going anywhere until they sit that c-suckin, mutherchuckin, dead leg, mofo SOB Jackman down... GOD he sucks....1st line D-fense WTF.....He can't score, he doesn't skate worth a damn, he doesn't hit anymore. Murray needs to send this turd packin...

--------------------
"ya'll take ah good look at this lump of chit, remember what it looks like"

last_stand

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: bgbrdhntr]
      #182059 - 04/02/09 07:44 AM

He's been terrible of late.....he fails at half the things he sposed to be doin out there...even simple tasks....and they got behind him FOUR times last night.
I don't know why he gets so much ice time it is obvious he's playing bad.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#182060 - 04/02/09 08:08 AM

Jackman has been the best defenseman on this team the entire season and it isn't even close!!! The whole team sucked last night and I blame Tkachuck, Jackman, McKee, Hinote and any "veteran" player that didn't lead the charge. The only veteran I saw working at full speed last night was Andy McDonald. To single out Jackman is just dead wrong.

Jackman is a defensive-minded defenseman. He has never been a prolific scorer or offensive-minded player. That's not why they have him and that's not his role. Quite frankly, the two guys who are supposed to be filling that role are sitting in the press box with injuries (Brewer and Johnson). Jackman has been thrown into a #1 role and he's handled it as well as his talents will allow him to handle it. The dude isn't Chris Pronger or Nicklas Lidstrom.

I'm not trying to pump the guy up, just giving a little perspective. He's never going to be a Norris Trophy winner. He's being asked to lead a defense with rookies and limited God-given talent. He's playing far more minutes that he has ever played and he's put on the ice for nearly every critical situation and against every team's top lines...

The reality is that this team was flat last night and should have lost 6-0. Chicago had just been handed two losses and had something to prove to themselves and the their fans. They did just that.

Also, keep in mind, this Blues team is fun to watch and rarely gets outworked by any team. But make no mistake, they have some glaring holes in their game and teams that are ahead of them in development and talent level will frequently expose those weaknesses. You may see worse tonight if Detroit brings their A game...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: sptsman]
      #182061 - 04/02/09 08:13 AM

Thank you Andy....you saved me 10 minutes of my life posting the exact same thing.

Jackman looks tired the last few games.....but I figure it's because he has carried the ball back there the ENTIRE season.

You boys running him down don't know much about hockey is the only thing I can figure. He's been as solid as a rock, and if you watch him, you will find that he is almost never out of position.

Yeah, he ain't flashy, doesn't have the big shot, and never stands out......but do you EVER see someone from another team wanting to take him on?? There's a reason for that.

He hasn't looked sharp the last 2 or 3 games....but Sptsman is right on with is assessment.

P.S. - if the Blues lose tonight, the have to win all four of their remaining games to have a CHANCE to make it in, and they will need help from other teams.....write it down.....90 is the magic number.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Kit

Re: T.J. Oshie...... [Re: griffin]
      #182063 - 04/02/09 08:20 AM

Jackman is probably not playing anywhere near 100%. Cut the guy a little slack, he is the best we have and he bleeds blue.

Tkachoke, well there just isn't an excuse...

--------------------

last_stand

#182070 - 04/02/09 09:49 AM

He hasn't been playing well for at least the last month. His game is off, he's prolly tired from all the damn ice time he does......the critique I gave him is mild compared to others who know the game well.....it ain't anti-blue or dislike they need to cut his time on the ice for everbody's sake..and it ain't just cuzz they lost last night it's been goin on for some time.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#182076 - 04/02/09 10:23 AM

I have no idea how you can say he hasn't played well for the last month, while he has logged the most ice time for the best team in hockey during that stretch.

For chrissakes, Jack man has been, and IS, the anchor of the Blues defense.....a defense that hasn't lost many games.

The Blues has had an offense problem this yeay....but they haven't had much of a defense problem. Thank Jackman for that.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

#182077 - 04/02/09 10:34 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
the critique I gave him is mild compared to others who know the game well.....

Just curious who that is? Mostly because I want to know who not to listen to for hockey analysis.

If you were told that the Blues would lose Brewer & Johnson for the season and McKee for a significant portion, then have Jackman as their defensive leader, what would you have guessed the Blues chances were for getting in the playoffs? I would have guessed zero. I wasn't too high on this defense before the injuries. But Jackman and Polak have stepped up and played solid defensive hockey for the Blues. Considering the youth and inexperience of Polak and the limited skill level of Jackman, I am nothing short of impressed with this defense.

I suppose we'll just agree to disagree on this one...

--------------------

last_stand

#182094 - 04/02/09 11:23 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
I have no idea how you can say he hasn't played well for the last month, while he has logged the most ice time for the best team in hockey during that stretch.

griffin

Because the two are not inclusive.
My point is he should log LESS time because he hasn't been on his game.....and I say our record for the last month would have stood....hell maybe improved. I think he's exhausted...he looks slower than usual and he's had stone hands for the most part. Rest him more and see...that's all I'm sayin.
I have nuthin against the guy...he ain't lazy and he's workin hard but it just ain't happenin and Murray should put the best out there for the most ice time no matter who is the highest paid .

--------------------

bgbrdhntr

Loc: MO

#182096 - 04/02/09 11:30 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Maybe he's talkin about me I guess. Don't know, don't care. All I know is Jackman is minus 20 right now and just seems to look lost. He's slow to the puck and just doesn't seem to have his legs under him. Granted I'm sure he's exhausted with the minutes he's logged.
I'm just frustrated cause they're so fuggin close they can smell it. Knowing full well Chi town was gonna come out hungry we needed that win going into Detroit.

--------------------
"ya'll take ah good look at this lump of chit, remember what it looks like"

last_stand

#182097 - 04/02/09 11:31 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Just curious who that is? Mostly because I want to know who not to listen to for hockey analysis.

Credentials? bwaaaaaaaaaa........ Well one has coached hockey for 22 years....2 others have played for 30 years.....and then me I'm just a nobody...I'll keep them away from you and you can remain the true pure guru....

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#182099 - 04/02/09 11:35 AM

It's gotta be coaching so they should hire Mike Anderson!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

#182109 - 04/02/09 12:24 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Credentials? bwaaaaaaaaaa........ Well one has coached hockey for 22 years....2 others have played for 30 years.....and then me I'm just a nobody...I'll keep them away from you and you can remain the true pure guru....

So, who are they? If they're your drinkin' buddies, so be it. If they are real NHL analyst, I'm curious who it is.

The dude is -20 because he's not an offensive-minded player and is playing an impossible role for a defensive-minded defenseman. You watch tonight. He'll be out there when Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Hossa and the like are on the ice. He's being asked to keep the other teams A-lines in check and almost never has an opportunity to score.

Who the fork are you going to play in his place if you rest him?!?!?! They are in a real hurt for defensemen and simply don't have anyone else. (Of course I wanted to trade for Pronger and you guys all protested that we couldn't give up Perron or Bergland or some other prospect. Now we're seeing that bite us in the rear.)

Again, let's keep some perspective. This team is rebuilding and finds themselves slightly ahead of schedule. If they can get in the playoffs, that would be great. If not, you won't find me on the ledge of a tall building. Defense is a weakness right now and the skilled teams are exposing it. It's not any one player's fault. It is an unfortunate situation and I am pretty pleased with how the players that are left standing have handled it.

--------------------

last_stand

#182123 - 04/02/09 12:57 PM

Who to play if we rest him?? christ we only need to take 4-5 min per game away from him...Polak, Weaver, spread it out...this ain't rocket science. I think the D has done great and the team did good at the trade deadline.

griffin says he's been down for the past 2-3 games and I am guessing you agree....well for me it's been goin on for longer....'scuse me for thinkin..........but seems we agree halfway..... now the logical thing to do as we head into the final crunch stretch is to DO SUMPTHIN about it! I say keep him ther for sure but lower his load by %20 and see if it helps.

Perspective? bwaaaaaaa........that cracks me up.

--------------------

sptsman

#182134 - 04/02/09 01:29 PM

Maybe the Zamboni driver can play "D"

I thought he was draggin' arse last night, to be sure. Then again, I thought most of the team was draggin' arse. But I disagree with the assessment that he has been bad for several games.

Keep in mind, this team does not have ANYONE that can do an effective job of getting the puck out of our zone, through the neutral zone and into the offensive zone. With that weakness, you're going to put a tremendous amount of pressure on the defense, especially against teams like the Hawks and Wings that will capitalize on that like a shark smelling blood, in the water. That's not Jackman's fault. But he has to bear the brunt of this weakness...

I don't know if I'll get to see the game tonight or not. I have a high school baseball game in Forest Park, assuming it doesn't get rained out. I may not get home in time to watch...

Let's hope the Blues can knock the Wings off their game and get a point or two tonight...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#182173 - 04/02/09 08:28 PM

THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5-4 BLUES!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: It is my nature to hate any man that the Redhead swoons over.....like, for instance, Bubba .......and she thinks Backes is THE MAN!

I hate the stonehanded mofo.....because if he shows up at my house tonight my wife is out the door.

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#182176 - 04/02/09 08:47 PM

Incredible win......came back three friggen times to get their TWO POINTS !!!!!!!!
Looked like Backes got that 5th goal too.
Can't believe Babcock started Cronklin....he wants comp for the goalie job in the playoffs but that was a big mistake to sit Osgood out against us. They got some problems there.
Hope Berglund is ok!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | >> (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 13116 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 44229

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page