CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Griffins Dog People Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
stoneman

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: stone county , missouri

Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed
      #176908 - 02/17/09 05:36 PM

Need these ASAP for dog training , prefer pigeons close to KC area others may be shipped . Bumper launcher needs minimum 100 yd range , training collar needs minimum 300 yd range , with both momentary and 8 sec continuous button with at least 5 different stimulus levels . Also smaller rubber & or canvas bumpers needed ( 6 pup size) . Will pay $12.00 for doz pigeons , launcher $50.00 and training collar $70.00 . Pigeons must be alive and launcher and collar in good working order .-- TY Stoneman -- Please post or send me PM.

--------------------
"Only 3 things that are worth a dime are old dogs , children and watermelon wine"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: stoneman]
      #176912 - 02/17/09 06:46 PM

Just out of curiousity, how old is that hound you got?

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

golden boy

Reged: 12/22/05
Loc: KS

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: griffin]
      #176922 - 02/17/09 09:31 PM

Being in the pigeon business for many years, I will say the last time pigeons brought a dollar, the Bee Gees were all alive and together.

Now if you hold a button down for 8 seconds to get your point across, you need to take up mushroom hunting, just saying.

Get a Golden, just have to say "Bad Girl" and you'll get your point across.

GB

--------------------
"Our goal is to keep our waterfowl hunting program one of the best in the Midwest." Quote by MDC employee Tom Draper, Deputy Director

stoneman

#176925 - 02/17/09 09:52 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Just out of curiousity, how old is that hound you got?

griffin

As of today eleven weeks . I owned most of this stuff at one time (except training collar) or I was able to borrow or co-train with friends that had it . With all the moving around the state last 8 years I've misplaced ,lost, or had it thrown out or stolen . Its been over 10 years since I've owned a dog and 15 years since I used any of it , so didn't know any of it was missing until recently. I also kept pigeons quail & chuckers for training . Most all my experience with dog training was for upland bird pointing dogs . I never used a training collar and won't on her until she gets a little older , but would like some pigeons ASAP to get her birdy . If I have too I can buy some quail, or trap/catch some pigeons like we use to . Rather use pigeons because they are much hardier and reusable , where quail are usally a one time training bird.

--------------------
"Only 3 things that are worth a dime are old dogs , children and watermelon wine"

FwlWeatherFriend

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Pool 24, Big Lake WMA

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: golden boy]
      #176931 - 02/17/09 10:14 PM

Quote:

golden boy said:

Now if you hold a button down for 8 seconds to get your point across, you need to take up mushroom hunting, just saying.

GB

but scary!

--------------------
Brett

www.CuivreRiverRetrievers.com

stoneman

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: golden boy]
      #176934 - 02/17/09 11:05 PM

Quote:

golden boy said:
Being in the pigeon business for many years, I will say the last time pigeons brought a dollar, the Bee Gees were all alive and together.

Get a Golden, just have to say "Bad Girl" and you'll get your point across.

GB

Well I'll just trap or catch some pigeons for free . Never said I'd hold the button down for 8 secs Golden Shower Boy , I was talking about the "type" of training collar remote options they have and low level stimulus /command /compliance training . And I do mushroom hunt didn't you read post on Dabs booking us a guided mushroom hunt ?-- I'm sure "Every" Golden Retriever is the wonder dog you speak of , especially after all the " Air Bud" movies came came out and everyone and their brother wanted a "family" dog that was cute and didn't care about any of the hunting gene's that at one time made them a good hunting dog and were bred by the thousands for lap dogs ! Don't Golden Retrievers have the Highest Percentage of Hip Displasisa (sp?) among the AKC hunting breeds ? So when I want a lap dog who's hips go out in 3 years I'll go get a Golden . --P.S. Dang speak of the Devil ---woke up early , and low and behold "Air Bud the Golden Receiver " movie was playing on KSMO TV--awwwwwwwwwwwwww--how cute think I'll get golden retriever to catch footballs and play with the cats--

--------------------

OYDModerator

Loc: SW MO

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: stoneman]
      #176944 - 02/18/09 04:23 AM

12.00 for pigeons? 50 for a launcher? 100 for a collar?

Let me know what you find for those prices....

golden boy

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: OYD]
      #176955 - 02/18/09 07:43 AM

Yeah let me know what the movie "Marley and Me" does to the lab world. Every yellow dog sitting in the backyard is going to get bred and sold for $25 and being a cheap ass that you are, you'll buy one.

Do everyone a favor and sell the dog and take up something else like "Acorn hunting"

--------------------
"Our goal is to keep our waterfowl hunting program one of the best in the Midwest." Quote by MDC employee Tom Draper, Deputy Director

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#176961 - 02/18/09 08:16 AM

Stonehead - I only asked because I've never owned a pidgeon or a bumper launcher.....and I didn't own an e-collar until she was 8 month sold and already knew what I wanted.

Admittedly, I don't know crap about training dogs......but spending a hour a day with mine, and never missing a day, has worked out pretty good so far.....and it's cheaper then pidgeons.

If you've got $120.00 to spend you'll get alot more mileage spending it one some good training books and DVD's....just saying.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#176968 - 02/18/09 10:03 AM

Scott

If he had an extra $120 he could buy one of those swamp collies so the real dog would have something to fork after the training sessions

If he is the 'adventurous type' he could get a pointing swamp collie, a Jack Russell and a poodle so he could really have a circus

stoneman

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: OYD]
      #176970 - 02/18/09 10:40 AM

OYD--those are "used" prices I'm willing to pay --except the pigeons . I already checked "new" prices at Cabela's last weekend. $99.00 for launcher ,$139.00 for the training collar with the features I wanted . I didn't know there was a pigeon shortage or price them lately , but use to catch/trap all the pigeons I needed for training and always had plenty in bird pen for that . GB I already had one of those cheap Labs that I got for free , he trained well but didn't have any manners (sorta like the Marley & Me Lab). This time I got a Register AKC Lab with both parents on site and both good hunters with championship titles. Also I do Acorn hunt , right before bow season -- Griffin I too spend at least an hour a day with my new puppy , not a lot of serious training yet but a lot of "Show Pup" training . I bought a DVD recommended by an Cabela's employee "Training the Upland Retriever" by George Hickox , $38.00 , it wasn't really what I was looking for but may return it and get "The 10 Minute Retriever" instead . In the DVD George recommends getting the dog interested in birds before any other training , so thought I'd better get some pigeons . Going to library and Blockbusters today to check out and rent other training DVD's and books and check them out before buying any other training DVD's or books.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#176974 - 02/18/09 11:15 AM

Dude, go to Retriever Training.net. There is a forum there that is probably more useful then anything you'll find anywhere. Lot's of very knowledgable people with good ideas and advice.

I've never posted there, because I don't want to get banned.

But.....if you read it every day you will find every answer you are looking for....in fact, you'll find all the answers that don't fit what you want either , but you can pick and choose where you want your pup to go.

Compared to what you will find at RTF, the library sounds like a very dumb idea.....just saying.

I have no idea what "show pup" training is....I never did anything that wasn't part of a building process. If you get the right materials life will be easier. I made some mistakes....but not many thanks to the money I spent on GOOD references.

griffin

--------------------

golden boy

#176979 - 02/18/09 11:32 AM

Let me explain "show pup" training.

Show pup how to pee on the carpet.
Show pup how to chew up shoes.
Show pup how to chew on the couch.
Show pup how to cry in the crate all night long.

If you don't have that pup collar conditioned by 12 weeks, that dog will never amount to anything. Better go buy a brand new $499 collar today.

--------------------

duko™

Loc: east mo

#177009 - 02/18/09 01:40 PM

don't forget

show pup peanut butter trick

duko

stoneman

#177018 - 02/18/09 03:49 PM

Thanks Griffin I'll go check the site out . I'd like several different choices of where I'd like the pup to go .

Golden Boy sorta like when I showed where to hunt at Smithville Lake for geese , showed you how to drive thru a foot of snow in a two wheel drive car to get there , showed you when the geese were going to be there , I guess I should have showed you too shoot that goose hovering about 10 yds over your head that day . You showed what an azz you were when after spending an hour setting up goose decoys in the early morning pre-dawn and hunting an hour or two you said you had to go watch KU get their azz beat ,and we picked up all the decoys, but instead I showed you around the lake all afternoon when I told you the majority of geese weren't arriving till around 2pm in the afternoon at the spot we were allready setup at - Guess I should have used your advice and yelled "Bad Girl " and you and golden the wonder dog would have tucked your tail between your legs and went and pee'd in the corn field and stayed put . I even offered to run into town to Micky D's and buy lunch for everyone and bring it back .

--------------------

golden boy

#177027 - 02/18/09 06:32 PM

And that very experience is why I book all my goose hunts with flocknlock goose guides. They know how to kill geese.

It ain't a damn goat rope in the Mega Pit!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

Hop

Reged: 12/16/06
Loc: Now that's a 10-2 Code

#177029 - 02/18/09 08:22 PM

Only Two Swamp Collies I ever seen Worth a Dayum was Mandy and Jackson.

I'll put my Money on a Black'n everytime.

--------------------
Visit us at: http://flocked-N-Locked.com

LABMANLAPTOP

Reged: 09/18/07
Loc: Lone Jack, Mo.

#177080 - 02/19/09 09:12 AM

"If he had an extra $120 he could buy one of those swamp collies so the real dog would have something to fork after the training sessions" I had a Chessie that would do a Swamp Collie for free - twice and then piss on the owners boot.

--------------------

Barack Obama : "Give us Barabas"

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: duko™]
      #177346 - 02/21/09 06:48 PM

Quote:

duko said:
don't forget

show pup peanut butter trick

duko

My brother just bought a puppy. I said the word peanut butter and the dog went nuts.......I guess the breeder musta been workin on the duko trainin method. I think we found a name for the dog as well.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: H2ODOG]
      #177348 - 02/21/09 07:07 PM

Her 29 points ranks her #6 for Golden Derby Bitches in Breed History.

Just sayin

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Hop

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: H2ODOG]
      #177362 - 02/21/09 09:45 PM

Now this was an Animal.....

1990, 1991, 1993 NFC - AFC
Candlewoods Tanks A Lot

’90,’91,’93 NFC-AFC Candlewoods Tanks A Lot (Lottie) was the last pup in Mary Howley’s litter so she gave the dog to Andy Attar, who was working with Mike Lardy at Handjem Retrievers at the time. Andy raised Lottie in the house and gave her marks while training client dogs with Mike – she showed an uncanny ability to mark almost immediately. Andy and Mike completed her basics at about eight and a half months. She ran and won her first Derby at eleven months. Her performance, and apparent potential, were impressive enough that Mary and Randy Kuehl bought her back from Andy.

Over the next year, Lottie earned a record 108 Derby points while winning a Qualifying at fifteen months and an Open 3 rd at twenty months. At twenty-seven months she completed her FC and her AFC shortly thereafter.

In the words of her owners, “While Lottie’s statistics are impressive, they don’t convey her winning nature. Her style, intensity, marking, and intelligence are combined with an attitude that says, ‘show me what you want – I’ll do it!’.”

Lottie accumulated 189 ½ All-Age points during her competitive career – 124 ½ Open and 65 Amateur.

And her Purchase Price at that time was $150,000.00

And her Pups Sold at $5000.00 a Pop

--------------------

chief3

Loc: MO

#177371 - 02/22/09 07:49 AM

PM too ya stoneman!

stoneman

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: chief3]
      #177375 - 02/22/09 08:45 AM

Chief3-- Got it sent it back !--Hop-a $150,000 dog and pups for $5000 , thats a house and 10 pups sold; bought two cars !

--------------------

Hop

#177376 - 02/22/09 08:48 AM

Yes it was and I hate to think what she would have sold at todays prices.

Lottie was defiantely an Animal!

--------------------

Hop

Re: Pigeons , bumper launcher, and electric trainer collar needed [Re: Hop]
      #177377 - 02/22/09 08:55 AM

Oh I have never been one that put too much stock in How-To Books because every animal is diffrent... Kinda like getting a book to make your child a Brain Surgeon.

Yet I think a person can get some great idea from books DVD's etc.

When It comes to Collars and getting some understanding on the Collar this Book the Dobbs did is a pretty good one.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  OYD, hunth2ofowl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 393

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page