CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Hey Griffin!
      #209455 - 10/23/10 10:26 PM

"Yes, Gabbert was a force vs. the vaunted Illini defense.

We won't win 3 conference games....even with one of the "best QB's in Division 1"."

"Who are we gonna beat Timmy?

griffin"

"Colorado (Have fun getting pounded in the Pac 10)
Texas Tech (New coach - never know)
K-state (Its in our house and they DON'T have a QB)
ISU (Tough place for MU in the past but still think we win)
KU (North Dakota State - really? )

Maybe even OU (At our place and did you see them this weekend? 31-24 over Utah State??)

I'd like to say NU but its at their place (Love to kick them in the ass and send them to the Big 10)"

The Tigers have won 3 conference games. That is all!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DADAKOTA

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri West Side

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: IIFID]
      #209457 - 10/24/10 03:52 AM

and Griffin still hasn't swam the river.

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #209460 - 10/24/10 06:27 AM

I don't care how well the defense or any individual played...game ball goes to the O line. That was a "how to" clinic they put on.

We are in bazaar-o-world. Is this team mature enough to handle the pressure? Can Pinkel keep them grounded and focused game to game? Tall order.

Congrats to Gabbert and hats off to the Tigers.....now get ready for next week.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: last_stand]
      #209463 - 10/24/10 08:22 AM

Great win for the boys in black and gold. Even with that lousy footwork, Gabbert managed to do enough to help secure the win. Oddly enough, the most disappointing part of the game was watching OU march down the field multiple times, with little resistance. I expected the Mizzou "D" to be a little more solid. Thank goodness OU was stepping on their own pekker all night with turnovers and the missed FG.

Can they sustain or is this the same old, same old?

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Whackattack

Loc: Farmington, Mo

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: sptsman]
      #209465 - 10/24/10 10:56 AM

I said before that the lines would be the difference and MU's O-line manhandled OU.

One complaint I have about the Tigers.....How in the fork do you have the ball 1st and goal from the one and lose yardage and settle for a field goal?

Put the freaking QB under center, and smash it with your hardest runner 4 freaking times.....Not hand it to your RB 6 yards deep and have him try to pick a hole....GEESH!

Great game. Ain't had my blood racing like that in a while.....

triton

Loc: ??????????????

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: Whackattack]
      #209476 - 10/25/10 09:34 AM

One time I thought I was seeing things when Gabbert actually got up under center with an I formation, I believe, and I thought I have never seen that out of MU.....Turns out all they did was qb sneak it for a first down....Whack, I have seen this for the better of 5 or 6 years...I dont think they are going to change.

--------------------
Roger Clemen's wife's personal trainer

last_stand

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: triton]
      #209484 - 10/25/10 12:03 PM

Weren't we under center for the Franklin TD?

That's what I thought I saw...nearly choked on my whiskey....

--------------------

triton

Loc: ??????????????

#209488 - 10/25/10 04:40 PM

LS could have been as I missed a large part of the game....

--------------------
Roger Clemen's wife's personal trainer

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: triton]
      #209489 - 10/25/10 05:01 PM

Now lets not get too excited boys.. I mean it's not like the its the SEC or anything!

Sorry I had to say it for old times sake!

So who thinks the Black and Gold can go take one from the Huskers. I have a feeling it is going to be a war!!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: IIFID]
      #209505 - 10/25/10 07:39 PM

Timmy....I'll be at the game in Lincoln....I give you a report.

I've been burned too many times to say it.....but this team looks pretty good. One thing is for certain....after 7 games Missouri still controls it's own destiny. Maybe this is the team that figures out what to do with it.

Sptsman......Gabbert ain't all that.....sorry. He was grossly overrated in High School and he still is by some.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Whackattack

Loc: Farmington, Mo

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: griffin]
      #209511 - 10/26/10 06:55 AM

Quote:

griffin said:

Gabbert ain't all that.....sorry. He was grossly overrated in High School and he still is by some.

griffin

He really doesn't have to be if they can get line play like that and run the ball the way they did Sat. I think I could throw it around with protection like he saw on Saturday....

LS, I didn't see the Franklin play. I did see the sneak for a first down by Gabbert. I'm talking about 1st and goal from the one and handing the ball off 6 yards deep and trying from there. Hell, sneak it 3 times from the one if you want, the line was that good Saturday that they would have gotten at least a foot each time. 3 runs, a foot a piece, Touchdown.....

last_stand

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: Whackattack]
      #209534 - 10/26/10 02:03 PM

Franklin scored a few yards out...now I thought Gabbert was under center but maybe Franklin took a direct hike in the backfield and scored?

Would like to hear from someone who saw what happened...but coulda swore we were under center.

griffin like it or not but as of now and with his continued improvement Gabbert will more than likely go in round 1-3 of the 2012 draft. Once he understand the pocket is his friend the nfl will take him low.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#209545 - 10/26/10 09:13 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
griffin like it or not but as of now and with his continued improvement Gabbert will more than likely go in round 1-3 of the 2012 draft. Once he understand the pocket is his friend the nfl will take him low.

BULLCHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell, if the draft was today he'd likely go UNDRAFTED. He may move up next year, but he is NOWHERE near a 1-3 pick, now or ever.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#209546 - 10/26/10 09:46 PM

I guess you don't like it.

Just for the record...I said first thru third ROUND based on continued development.

I'll stand by it and you can bank it.

bwaaaaaa

--------------------

swampy
stirrer of chit

Loc: Valhalla

#209550 - 10/27/10 06:25 AM

I agree with you LS the NFL will draft the kid. He has the size and strength they like. What he has that really makes him look good is coachability and a laser-beam throw.

--------------------
Honorary VP 10/90 deer club

Mac
Birding Moderator

Loc: The Great State of Nebraskey

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: swampy]
      #209556 - 10/27/10 08:27 AM

Well Griffin, yer heading to Lincoln Saturday while I head south and open the north zone with ny bros and buds.

I reckon during the game I best be wathcin' it at Mom's house versus at a local watering hole. I gots a funny feeling rooting fer the Huskers might not be in my best personal interests!!!

It was good to see Mizzou win out over OU last week, a great game. I honestly do have some mixed feelings about rooting for Big Red...but I will anyway.

last_stand

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: swampy]
      #209568 - 10/27/10 11:08 AM

Based on typical progress and no serious injury he should easily go by the 96th pick.

CBS 2012 mock draft has him going no worse than 49th pick and 3rd QB chosen right now.

Mock drafts are mock drafts, particularly 18 months out...but I'll hang my hat on it anyway.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#209589 - 10/27/10 02:07 PM

QUESTION: Do you think Blaine Gabbert displays the skills to be a good quarterback at the NFL level?

BERNIE MIKLASZ

I have actually talked to two NFL scouts about this. They love his physical measurables. Great size and speed. His arm strength is above average. He has first-round talent. But the scouts tell me he will need work. Footwork isn’t the best. He doesn’t set consistently enough before making his throws. He’s been jumpy in the pocket and it causes him to make off-balance throws and back-foot throws when he doesn’t really have to. Like all other spread-formation quarterbacks Gabbert will have to be reprogrammed to take snaps from under center. He’ll have to learn how to take 3-step, 5-step and 7-step drops as he sets up to throw. It’s just a matter of technical and mechanical refinement. All of the skills are there. The fundamentals need polish. It may take some extra time to get him ready to be a starter. But the package is there.

last_stand

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: wuchang]
      #209600 - 10/27/10 03:31 PM

Gabbert came onto the Tigers with too much hype. Pinkel and the helicopter, Gabbert and the Husker reverse drama.....I completely agree he did not match this up with his actual performance. Some bought in and said he did...right Sportsmn? Some saw the flaws and some have never trusted him since.

But he had a lot to learn and adjust to which all in all he has done pretty well with this year. He will still leave the pocket thinking it's his best alternative but more than not he leaves too soon and he loses a lot of accuracy passing on the run. He still doesn't set up very well even when he has time but again he is doing better with it. He over throws a bit but a rocket arm it is. He plays the spread but that's not his choice or fault.

He's got it going for him...big guy,willing to play hurt, durable, assume he is smart enough, team leader, decent mobility and a very strong arm. The NFL loves all of that and it is enough for them to take him and try to change the negatives.

He is gonna go in the '12 draft and it will be before the fourth round but I have not yet seen enough for me to say he will be a "good" NFL quarterback...in fact RIGHT NOW I would have to say the odds are against it. Far bigger names and better college qb's have fallen by the wayside trying to play in the NFL.

I wish him the best ...I am glad we have him and would like nothing more than to see him strengthen and establish his nfl credentials right here in MoMo next year!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#209612 - 10/27/10 09:51 PM

No, really WU, (and Bernie) he's got great footwork and is an amazing QB.

Even a QB that can barely be described as "good" will elevate his team. Gabbert cannot do that. He has one hell of an offensive line, but he's not barely good....he's barely marginal....as a team leader he's barely functional.

He's HORRIBLE under pressure.....he's seen little of that this season...and you should count your blessings. Mr. "feet of clay" CANNOT take us to the national championship game, which is all I care about anymore. We've done the rest, and anything short is just another decent Missouri squad like Daniels, Maclin, and co.

I think this is a really good Missouri team.....I think they'd be damn near unstoppable with Franklin as QB.

I watched Gabbert in High School.....he's the same guy...big, strong, and really not that good. You are saying the same thing now, LS, that colleges were saying when he was in High School....and guess what....you're right....the odds are against him being a "good" QB.

griffin

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#209617 - 10/28/10 06:58 AM

Quote:

No, really WU, (and Bernie) he's got great footwork and is an amazing QB.

You've been in the evidence locker 'sampling' again, haven't you??

Looks to me that Bernie & the scouts (no, that is not a new singing group) are saying everything you said about Gabbert's lack of footwork and polish and poise

Next thing I know someone will tell me to cheer for the Big 12 just because MU is in it-- like the Arkies cheer for the SEC

MU and the national championship??
Ain't gonna happen-- they will lose to Nebraska

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: wuchang]
      #209628 - 10/28/10 08:41 AM

Naw, I ain't been sampling.....just can't show sarcasm on this keyboard.

Look, the only way you can come to any other conclusion about him is if you haven't watched him. I saw him in High School maybe 8 or 9 times. I saw his first set of downs in college and have seen most of them since. He's just not nearly as good as some people who buy into the hype think he is.

One word has been used to describe Gabbert since I've been watching him........PROJECT.

He still is with nearly 20 college games under his belt.

griffin

--------------------

Bandito

Loc: The Lair

#209649 - 10/28/10 12:59 PM

Through 7 games Blaine Gabbert has passed for 1,899 yards and 11 touchdowns, completing 67.3 percent and being intercepted only three times in 269 attempts... and so far he's undefeated. Footwork aside, I'd say that's pretty damn good.

... just sayin.

--------------------
With my new york brim and my gold tooth displayed,
Nobody give me trouble cause they know I got it made.

last_stand

Re: Hey Griffin! [Re: Bandito]
      #209668 - 10/28/10 02:12 PM

griffin maybe not but you seem to marginalize his stats because he has a good O line. Good AND great quarterbacks are seldom out there on their own showing off their skill without moocho team support. When Adam Timmerman came to the Rams he was the final piece of a very good O line and Kurt Warner needed that to be what he was...just as he needed the additions of Faulk, Bruce & company to get all his stats and awards. And there is nothing wrong with that but you have to recognize it. You CAN NOT take credit due away from a good player because he has other good players around him. Gabbert's a good quarterback behind a good line. That's how it works more often than not.

He is not a marginal qb...he is a good college qb with stats to back it up. NFL scouts are not blind to the things to work on. They see skill and size in place as a junior and judge the potential. I am sure their concerns are the same as yours and mine and then some but to be even scouted at this point means they have slotted him as a GOOD QB.

As I said at the beginning, I think he makes the jump on draft day rounds 1-3. But he needs to advance accordingly next year.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#209676 - 10/28/10 03:14 PM

Pay no mind to griffin when it comes to Gabbert. He got a hard-on for the kid a few years back and wouldn't admit he was good, if he won the Heisman and a national championship.

Show me ANY college QB that doesn't need work to be a good NFL QB. Show me ANY college QB that doesn't have flaws in their game. Remember all of the criticism of Bradford and how he needed to work on this and that? How he needed to develop, blah, blah, blah... The bottom line is you just don't know about these kids until you get them in a NFL uniform and see how they perform. Until then, it's a matter of picking the right one with the measurables (Leaf or Manning?)and this kid has the measurables.

I was not a Gabbert fan in HS and was very skeptical. But he has matured and become a better player and person, from everything I have seen. Is he the next John Elway or Dan Marino? Probably not. Will he be a 3rd round pick or better? Bank on it. Whether or not he becomes a good NFL QB is anyone's guess. I think he will be...

As far as Mizzou this weekend... Root like hell for them, just don't put any money on the game...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 565 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1306

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page