CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Restaurant and Recipe Forum >> The Smokers Pit

Pages: 1
dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Turkey breast a bit different way for me -
      #216809 - 04/22/11 02:11 PM

Took a couple wild turkey breasts someone wanted me to cook for them and brined it in 1 quart of apple juice, 1 pint of cranberry juice, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 10 squirts of Louisiana hotsauce and 3 tablespoons of worcestire sauce for about 12 hours.

Pulled it out of the brine and toweled if off, and put together a homemade rub concoction containing brown sugar, a season I got for Xmas called "Good Chit", a bit of garlic salt and some Masterpiece rub I had in the cabinet.

Just put the breasts on the smoker with a good dose of Cherry wood to begin with. Will stoke once more with cherry again and then finish it with apple at the end.

I am using some more of the cranberry juice in the water pan to give it a bit of a sweet aroma as well.

Going to smoke them till done and let cool - then use the electric slicer in the morning and shave it into sandwich slices and have wild turkey clubs tomorrow night with some pepper jack cheese, bacon, lettuce, onion, tomato and chipotle mayonnaise.

Pictures in a minute if anyone is interested - if not, then I suggest studying the particulars of electronic cabling for a while

Edited by dabs (04/22/11 02:21 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: dabs]
      #216812 - 04/22/11 02:18 PM

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Where there are no ducks

#216817 - 04/22/11 02:39 PM

Save me a couple slices. My boots need resoled.

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: Scout 1]
      #216819 - 04/22/11 02:52 PM

I don't know if it will be any good, but you sure are putting the work into it. A for effort.

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: hucklburry]
      #216826 - 04/22/11 03:48 PM

Yea have little faith....just put the last of round of smoke to it and in about 15 minutes will stack the two breasts with patties of butter between them, wrap them in foil and finish them up for the last 45 minutes.

Will keep them moist and tender....bubba - please raise the hater flag!!

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#216837 - 04/22/11 05:40 PM

Haters be damned! Step away from this most informative turkey smokin thread of dabbler1also!

I ain't got no flag....

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: Bubba]
      #216840 - 04/22/11 05:55 PM

Bubba, you are right, it is informative. I have made some good venison and turkey jerky, and smoked some venison summer sausage, and we used to smoke salmon all the time when I lived in Alaska. I never ever thought of using juices in the smoker to get other flavors, certainly something I will be looking at. Thanks Dabs!

Scout 1

Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: hucklburry]
      #216841 - 04/22/11 06:02 PM

Budda, I mean Bubba ... Karma is gonna get YOU now.

And with that gimpy Monkey Wards bolt-on replacement knee, you'll be PLENTY easy to catch.

Dags, at least I didn't make fun of your smoker by saying something like, "Won't your Neighborhood Association in tony upscale Independence let you use a real smoker?" See -- now if I was a hater, would I refrain from jabbin you wiith a gem llike that?

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #216859 - 04/23/11 08:13 AM

Here is a pic of the breasts after pulling them off last night. Lots of juice and butter bath in the bottom of the foil and the breasts still nice and juicy with an internal temp that is just right.

Right after this pic I vacu-sealed both breasts and will open one tonight just before dinner and use the electric slicer to shave it into deli-meat.

And Scout - let me see if I can remember how this goes - "Thanks a bunch, sometime I hope to be able to return the favor"

Must have been the other you - huh?

swampy
stirrer of chit

Loc: Valhalla

#216867 - 04/23/11 12:40 PM

smoked wild turkey breast has turned out great for me in the past. best result were leaving the bone in and skin on with a soak in an overnight brine.

looks good dude!

--------------------
Honorary VP 10/90 deer club

Scout 1

Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: swampy]
      #216868 - 04/23/11 02:08 PM

Naw, the other one is out fishin for crappies, mushroom huntin and shootin turkeys left n right. I have to stay here and make fun of you.

lying_in_wait

Loc: Choot 'Em!

#216869 - 04/23/11 02:40 PM

Yeah, but what about the other, other one?

--------------------
Shawn Wheaton
Missouri Waterfowl Association
Westside Chapter Chairman

Scout 1

Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: lying_in_wait]
      #216875 - 04/23/11 05:21 PM

Never mind that chit -- look at that awesome neato cooler with wheels

2 just got back from fishin and mushroom huntin, caught 0, found 19, saw one turkey, suffering from Amish disease (dead, breast meats cut out)

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#216980 - 04/26/11 07:39 AM

Don't know bout the cranberry juice in the smoker pan.....but Apple juice once it gets cooked down will turn your smoking pan into a nice crusty sugary black blob that is a mother to get out. Sticking with water in my smoker. Injection into the meat works well as does the brine. Spending 2 hours to clean a pan is not fun.

Looked good Rick. Wish I would have saved a couple whole breasts to try it. I guess I will have to take the kid out turkey hunting again to get more meat.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Turkey breast a bid different way for me - [Re: H2ODOG]
      #217026 - 04/27/11 07:31 AM

Jeff;

An easy solution - aluminum foil covering on the water pan and then the juice. I never let it get low enough to get crusty - but it does get a bit thick because of the sugars in the juices. It usually just takes the kitchen spray attachment pressure to wash it right out that way.

I always have a spray bottle of apple juice and direct spray the meat when I am adding more wood chips.

It turned out real moist. I took one breast out of the sealed package and sliced it very thin. Layered it in a corningware dish and alternated just a touch of honey and a touch of butter on each layer.

Turkey sandwiches with bacon, lettuce, pepper jack cheese and Vidalia onions topped with Chipotle Mayo was a hit.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: Turkey breast a bit different way for me - [Re: dabs]
      #217140 - 04/29/11 08:55 AM

Quote:

dabs said:
Took a couple wild turkey breasts someone wanted me to cook for them and brined it in 1 quart of apple juice, 1 pint of cranberry juice, 1/2 cup lemon juice, 10 squirts of Louisiana hotsauce and 3 tablespoons of worcestire sauce for about 12 hours.

Just to be a prick... That is a marinade. By definition, brine uses primarily salt.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

lying_in_wait

Loc: Choot 'Em!

Re: Turkey breast a bit different way for me - [Re: sptsman]
      #217148 - 04/29/11 11:14 AM

It looks just terrible! Drop it off at my place for proper disposal. Oh, and ya prolly ought to brang a loaf of bread with ya's too.

--------------------
Shawn Wheaton
Missouri Waterfowl Association
Westside Chapter Chairman

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Turkey breast a bit different way for me - [Re: lying_in_wait]
      #217183 - 04/30/11 08:56 AM

Yeah - I guess you are right Andy - I think of brine of anything that is water consistency and marinade being thicker liquids with dressings and sauces and the such but I think you are actually correct......DICK!!!

Shawn - I don't think you want that to happen at this point - I would have to go down into the Atherton bottoms and dig in wells to try and find any remains uke:

But - I have committed to an appreciation smoke next Saturday for a baseball coach who gives two or three nights a week and doesn't have any kids old enough to play on the team. On the menu I had scheduled -

6 slabs of ribs - gonna have them thawed Thursday night and skin the membrane and marinade them in apple juice with just a touch of lemon juice for tendering and then let them air dry a half hour Friday evening and rub them and let them sit in the fridge overnight in all rubbed down before starting them on the smoker about 9 a.m. Will start with heavy smoke of Apple and Cherry for about an hour and then throw in a few oak chips for a while. Will smoke them at about 200 to 210 degrees for four hours and then pull them off. Will drizzle them with squeeze butter and honey and foil wrap them and put them back on for another two to three hours at a lower heat and take them back out of the foil and finish them. Three will stay on the smoker for a dry rub variety and three will finish on the grill with bbq sauce being cooked in for people who like em finished wet.

Deer loins - going to smoke two deer loins - haven't decided the preparation on those yet.

Italian Sausage - will pick up a 12 pack of freshly made Italian Sausage and smoke those.

Grilled Cabbage - am going to take two heads of cabbage and chop up into wedges and seperate. Foil bag them with butter, salt, pepper, garlic, Canadian Steak Seasoning and a couple of sliced Vidalias mixed through it. Grill till the cabbage is almost caramelized.

A big assed batch of bbq beans cooked on the smoker - recipe on that is usually what ever I feel like at the time...but will have honey, brown sugar, mustard, onion and probably some fresh bacon bits.

A rack of smoked jalepenos stuf with equal parts of cream cheese, swiss cheese and pheasant breast.

And, the coach I am doing it for said last night that he had some "duck" that needed to use up if I was willing to cook it....I was leary and not wanting to be too rude asked what type it was - didn't even know he duck hunted - he said they were teal and mallards and maybe a pintail or widgeon might be mixed in - about the only thing he likes to eat....of course I said I was in when I heard that. Looks like I will be setting a jalepeno or two back and some cheese to stuff those and wrap in bacon to grill now too.

If I can keep the timing right it should be a pretty good feed.

Scout 1

Re: Turkey breast a bit different way for me - [Re: dabs]
      #217198 - 04/30/11 07:07 PM

Marinate them, not marinade them.

To Marinate is the act of marinading in marinade

Tune in tomorrow when we will conjugate and diagram the transitive verb, Macerate.

Pretty nice of you to cook all that stuff Dags. What are all the other city peeps gonna eat? Just sayin.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1766

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page