CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Restaurant and Recipe Forum >> The Smokers Pit

Pages: 1
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Well I am going to finally try it..
      #217001 - 04/26/11 03:57 PM

As nmany of you know I have always liked to cook and got into using the smoker about 3 - 4 years ago when some knuckleforks on here up and bought me a smoker. I am still a neophyte in the smoked meat world but have fun with it and feel like I am learning. I have never however competed before. My buddy Steve and I have entered a small charity contest to be held on 5/20 that will raise money for the organization Homes for Our Troops - http://www.homesforourtroops.org/site/PageServer

My question is what do competition smokers do differently then guys who just throw some meat on the smoker in the back yard? We are entering the "Pulled Pork" and "Beef Brisket" categories. We are supposed to provide 20 pounds of each for the competition. A twist to this is that the competition is judged on a Friday starting at 11 AM. We plan on smoking the meat the weekend before, freeze it and then warm it up the day of the event. Is this going to hurt our chances? Like I said this is a small, charity event and we are both rookies so any advice is appreciated. Not a life or death thing just something the industry I work in is putting on.
Advice? Comments? Insults? Invective?

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: Well I am going to finally try it.. [Re: IIFID]
      #217009 - 04/26/11 07:16 PM

That will work. SHouldn't change much flavor. Apple juice when you go to reheat it. Heat it up slow in a big warmer. Done that a few times and it turned out great. I smoke my pulled pork for about 15-18 hours. Then it goes into a throw away aluminum pan with about an 1-2" of apple juice and covered with foil to cook some more. Last summer I cooked up 130 pounds of the stuff in Texass and put the pans in a huge ass cooler and drove to MO. Stuff was still hot when I got up here......so it slow cooked another 11 hours in the truck. Some of the best stuff I have ever done.

Too bad ya can't start cooking them on Wed. afternoon. That's where the propane or pellet driver electric smokers come in handy

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Mel

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Re: Well I am going to finally try it.. [Re: H2ODOG]
      #217013 - 04/26/11 08:02 PM

I volunteer for the Pro Tasting Team.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

lying_in_wait

Loc: Choot 'Em!

Re: Well I am going to finally try it.. [Re: Mel]
      #217014 - 04/26/11 09:01 PM

Who is administering the BBQ contest? If it's a biggie like KCBS, you'll want to check their rules pretty close. I know that most require the BBQ to be done on site during the event.

I've never done a competition but my brother in law Frank used to be an a BBQ team that did comps regularly. He's won some ribbons. I'm sure he'd be happy to give you some pointers on what judges are looking for.

--------------------
Shawn Wheaton
Missouri Waterfowl Association
Westside Chapter Chairman

dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: Well I am going to finally try it.. [Re: lying_in_wait]
      #217023 - 04/27/11 07:21 AM

good luck Tim...I refuse to do any real contests...I don't need another "hobby" that costs thousands of dollars to participate in weekly.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#217025 - 04/27/11 07:26 AM

I don't think this is near as serious as all that LIW.
More or less it is a lunch time feed where folks can come up and pay a certain amount to be "judges", eat a bunch of BBQ and all the money raised will go to the charity. We are starting really small!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

lying_in_wait

Loc: Choot 'Em!

#217042 - 04/27/11 11:14 AM

Oh, well in that case I wouldn't do it much differently that you would in the back yard. If it's the average Joe voting rather than certified judges then it's gonna be all about how it tastes and how much fun they had socializing with you while you were serving them. You're not likely to be scrutinized on things like appearance, depth of smoke ring, percentage of unrendered fat that is visible, etc. You are a people person and a natural host, so you've got the latter part covered.

If I were cooking for a crowd, the only thing I would do differently is try to please the average pallet rather than my own personal taste. I'm a sauce on the side sort of guy and to me, good BBQ is about a dry rub and how moist and tender it is. If you ask the average Joe, good BBQ is all about the sauce. Women tend to like BBQ sticky and sweet while guys tend to like it more spicy and vinegary. I think you'd do best if you try to strike a good balance between the two, sweet with just a little bit of heat.

If I were trying to win a popular vote I think I would do a very mild, general purpose rub, use mild woods and do a sauce mop at the end of the smoke to get a sticky glaze. Then mix in a thin finishing sauce when you reheat the pulled and sliced meat later on.

I've done pulled pork for family gatherings several times and Lysander's pork rub is always popular with them even though I like to use other things at home. Apple with a little bit of Hickory is my favorite on pork butts. I like brisket marinated rather than rubbed (Claude's is my favorite) smoked with pecan and cherry. But I also don't have a whole lot of experience with briskets either.

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll nail it.

--------------------
Shawn Wheaton
Missouri Waterfowl Association
Westside Chapter Chairman

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

#217064 - 04/27/11 06:32 PM

Timmo, If socializing and being a fun host is part of the contest, you oughta win hands-down!

Sounds like a great fundraising idea, versus the same old same old.

Plus, you get a free "healthy nuclear glow" from hanging out across from the Bannister complex! WINNING!

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: Well I am going to finally try it.. [Re: Scout 1]
      #217084 - 04/28/11 07:52 AM

I have a plan to win if it is about presentation and socialization. Many of you have met my VP of marketing. She will be the hostess with the mostest handing out the BBQ at our booth. The BBQ could probably taste like the south bound end of a north bound mule and we will still be most popular.

--------------------

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

#217103 - 04/28/11 12:32 PM

By the way, I wouldn't go around telling people you're a neophyte.

Where you go to church is nobody's business.

Just sayin.

halfasmuch
action hero

Loc: Upper Oakville

Re: Well I am going to finally try it.. [Re: Scout 1]
      #217105 - 04/28/11 12:57 PM

dry rub and how moist and tender it is....

Shawn, I think he finally has regular female company these days....

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity
is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 126 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1050

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page