CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Restaurant and Recipe Forum >> The Smokers Pit

Pages: 1
lying_in_wait

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Choot 'Em!

Lamb
      #222959 - 10/15/11 08:08 PM

Smoked some lamb breast today. Only had lamb a few times before and have never cooked it so this was a learning experience.

Started with a packaged lamb breast which comes in two pieces that look like a slab of baby backs sitting on a slab of spares. On the first one I mixed up a concoction that consisted of about 1/3 cup of EVOO, 1 Tbsp Rosemary, 1 Tbsp minced garlic from a jar, 1 Tbsp granulated garlic, 1 tsp cracked black pepper. I slathered it all over and let it marinate in a bag for a couple of hours. On the second one I simply rubbed it with Cavender's Greek seasoning and drizzled with a little EVOO.

Didn't take any pics beforehand, but I snapped this one about 1.5 hours in.

Went 3 hours with apple and cherry wood running between 225 - 240. Foiled and went 2 more hours at about 250. Removed from foil and bumped temp to 275. Fat was rendering out like it had a faucet and I started to worry about drying it out so I only went 30 minutes after the foil. This was a mistake because there was still a fair amount of unrendered fat when I sliced them and they were very greasy. Aside from that, they did come out very tender and had a good flavor. I definitely should have let more fat render out and I think they could have benefit from a quick sear on a hot grill after slicing. Definitely not my best Q, but was a good learning experience. Really liked the Rosemary, garlic, pepper and EVOO recipe, but think I should have sprinkled with some course sea salt too. The Cavender's was good too but was definitely second place in my book. I'll likely try this again another time now that I have a good idea what to expect.

--------------------
Shawn Wheaton
Missouri Waterfowl Association
Westside Chapter Chairman

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: Lamb [Re: lying_in_wait]
      #223034 - 10/18/11 11:47 AM

looks awesome dude.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

Re: Lamb [Re: HAUS]
      #223038 - 10/18/11 12:46 PM

I just smoked a Pall Mall for 7 minutes.

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

halfasmuch
action hero

Loc: Upper Oakville

Re: Lamb [Re: foots]
      #223041 - 10/18/11 02:44 PM

guess Scout better get out to the barn and start countin!

good lookin queue!

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity
is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein

Scout 1
New order Amish - not be confused with Meninite!

Loc: Where there are no ducks

Re: Lamb [Re: halfasmuch]
      #223063 - 10/19/11 04:46 AM

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD joke Halfy!

Count em? Hell man -- I got em all NAMED... Farrah Fawcett... Eva Longoria... Giada Delaurentis (huge milker!) ... and Hilary Clinton (she's the one even the horny lil neighbor kids won't put their dicks into. She has steel wool!)

Lamb is a hip thing to raise and sell these days... wish I had about 50-11...

That barbecued rack looooooks damn tasty Shawn! But yeah, the lamb craze (and pricing) has meant Fatter is Better as far as the production side goes. Lamb has always been fatty and greasy, but now more than ever, coz that's where the $$$ is.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 58 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1199

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page