CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Lodging and Restaurant Forum >> Great Recipes

Pages: 1
locked up
snake charmer!!

Reged: 01/24/08
Loc: pit city mo

need help!!!!
      #224929 - 12/13/11 09:19 AM

Goin to mom and dads for Christmas dinner. Mom wants to try something new for a change in menu. She thought maybe of boiled shrimp, tried to fix some for lunch last week adn she screwed that up. they was like eatin rubbery bubble gum. On any given day I would put her cookin up against anybody. She is an old school farm wife that can cook a dog turd, with gravy of course, and make it taste good.
So here's the deal. We went and whacked the pheasant last weekend. Last night she said she might want to fix them for Christmas dinner. She is gettin a honey baked ham for dinner too. But she doesnt know how to fix a pheasant.
The birds are skinned, legs adn thighs still on. Basically the whole bird. i have eaten a lot of good things at the dinners, get togethers at Timmy's and know you heathens can cook. SO any ideas or recipes that you have on Pheasant would be greatly appreciated. Can tell you this, if it involves jalepno peppers or a ton of hot spicy stuff they wont eat it. Dont matter if tis baked or fried. Just needin ideas please.

--------------------
Why do you ask?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SwampFox

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

Re: need help!!!! [Re: locked up]
      #224954 - 12/13/11 08:29 PM

The only way I've eaten pheasant is chicken fried.

It was better than fried chicken. That's saying something cause I'm a long time fan of fried chicken.

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

cook

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: in my underwear

Re: need help!!!! [Re: SwampFox]
      #224955 - 12/14/11 03:42 AM

That might work-the phesant we got at the restaurant were farm raised-lots of fat on them,and we just got the breast with the skin on.Pan sauteed,then a demi-glace and port wine sauce.

I've only cooked wild pheseant twice,they were roosters and pretty tough and dry-you mentioned they were skinless.Pan fry might be the way to go,brown them with seasoned flour in a cast skillet,lower the heat,add gravy,cover,and simmer an hour or 2.

Could stuff and bake them like a butterball,stuffing will help keep it moist,and tent and baste it...or use one of those oven roasting bake in the bags.

Don't know if ya want to mess with the grill,but splitting them in half,soaking in italian dressing,and cooking over low flame sounds like it might work...laying some bacon on them will add some fat and moisture,and go along with the ham theme.

Whatever you choose-go low and slow-I suspect it would be easy to end up with a tough,dried up bird,especially if you are busy cooking other things and can't watch it constantly.

Crock-pot?

halfasmuch
action hero

Loc: Upper Oakville

Re: need help!!!! [Re: cook]
      #224956 - 12/14/11 05:46 AM

I am only the big bro to west side legend IIFID but....

I would marinade them for a couple of days in cheap arse Olive Oil, garlic onion salt and pepper..

Rinse all that crap off....fill the interior with Apple slices, sprinkle Louisiana WILD GAME seasoning liberally, bacon wrap and SMOKE ever so slowly.....and if you throw a few apple wood chips in the smoke.... so be it.

Kill it, grill it...

Plan b which wouldnt work for XMAS is to crockpot em til tender, debone and make homemade Chicken Rice soup but sub in the pheasant..

I dont do it often but you can stuff them and bake em. but they dry out quick unless you pin oranges on the top ....
you will taste the orange in the meat... guess you could use apple too...

back to the Head Chef of the diner formerly known as the Bachelor Ranch.

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity
is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein

cook

Loc: in my underwear

Re: need help!!!! [Re: halfasmuch]
      #224957 - 12/14/11 08:09 AM

I was thinking after I posted-pheasant pot-pie along the line of the above mentioned soup mix.Cook and de-bone ahead of time,make like cx.pot pie.

locked up
snake charmer!!

Re: need help!!!! [Re: cook]
      #224960 - 12/14/11 08:51 AM

thanks guys. Now we have some options to work with

--------------------
Why do you ask?

rb.

Loc: mo

#224963 - 12/14/11 09:03 AM

here's a good one:

•1 pheasant, quartered
•1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
•1/2 cup apple cider
•4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
•3/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
•1/3 cup chopped onions
•1 clove garlic, minced
•1 (3 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
•paprika

we also may use a can of cream of celery also so it is real saucy and won't dry out.

Burrhead

Loc: Just north of Bugtussle

Re: need help!!!! [Re: rb.]
      #224964 - 12/14/11 09:16 AM

The pheasant casserole that has made an appearance at the last couple of F&F's was good. Don't know who made it or how it was done though.

--------------------
Somebody has to walk the point.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: need help!!!! [Re: Burrhead]
      #225006 - 12/15/11 11:54 AM

Casserole is the best way to go with wild pheasant. Chicken-fried is OK but you have a 50/50 shot at ending up with dry meat, if you're not careful and/or don't know what you're doing. But when it is good, it's good!!

There are about 50-11 recipes for casseroles with pheasant meat. Go online and pick a few to try... I'm partial to any of them with wild rice, mushrooms and some herbs. If you want to go simple, pick the ones with canned soups and a frozen bag of mixed veggies. If you're feeling a little more gourmet, use fresh ingredients (i.e. fresh garlic cloves, mushroms, herbs, etc...) and do a little more prep work yourself. I personally think you get a better end result, going with the fresh ingrediants and doing your own prep...

Let us know how it goes...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

swampyModerator
stirrer of chit

Loc: Valhalla

Re: need help!!!! [Re: sptsman]
      #225049 - 12/19/11 07:24 AM

I would make pheasant and noodles over mashed taters. When cooking pheasant to soften and make stock don't forget a pinch of thyme

--------------------
Honorary VP 10/90 deer club

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: need help!!!! [Re: swampy]
      #225053 - 12/19/11 12:27 PM

It is a holiday and he don't do chit anyway - so I am sure he will have plenty of thyme!

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

Re: need help!!!! [Re: dabs]
      #225056 - 12/19/11 02:21 PM

.thyme thyme thyme is on my side.yes it is!

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

Burrhead

Loc: Just north of Bugtussle

Re: need help!!!! [Re: fastman]
      #225058 - 12/19/11 04:23 PM

I always liked "Old Thyme Rock n Roll" by Seeger...

--------------------
Somebody has to walk the point.

locked up
snake charmer!!

Re: need help!!!! [Re: Burrhead]
      #225088 - 12/21/11 07:22 AM

well chit........... I appreciate the help on the recipes. They will still be used to cook the birds with, just wont be on Christmas for dinner
My sister threw a fit that she and her family did not like pheasant and didnt want that on the menu for dinner. Funny how the whole family knows they dont like it....... especially since not a one of them has ever tasted it
oh well. Tried to do something nice for a change and it kinda bit me in the arse. On the good side of all of this, it just means more pheasant for me and the family to eat here. carry on.

--------------------
Why do you ask?

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#225152 - 12/23/11 06:45 AM

locked up - Do what I do when cooking wild game for family events; Make two entrees. do half of the meal in beef or chicken or pork or whatever. Do the other half in your game of choice. If prepared well, about 99% of thyme, they will end up eating more of the game... And the bitchy, whiney ones can eat the standard fare...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

duko™

Loc: east mo

Re: need help!!!! [Re: sptsman]
      #225161 - 12/23/11 10:16 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
locked up - Do what I do when cooking wild game for family events; Make two entrees. do half of the meal in beef or chicken or pork or whatever. Do the other half in your game of choice. If prepared well, about 99% of thyme, they will end up eating more of the game... And the bitchy, whiney ones can eat the standard fare...

You ain't preparing nothing well if the recipe calls for 99% thyme...

duko

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

Re: need help!!!! [Re: duko™]
      #225202 - 12/24/11 05:34 PM

Friend of mine
cooks some killer pheashant,,he strips the breast,,like a chicken strip and cooks on real low heat in butter bout time it's done he pulls the bird out and tosses a tub of cream cheese in the skillet with the butter,,lil paprika and gets it goin low and slow,,then he tosses the bird back in ,,,,comes out real tender real tastey and you can serve the gravey over noodles or rice,,,pretty dang good and real ez to fix works well with with chicken too,,,,just make sure to remove ALL the fat

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 13 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  swampy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 1515

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page