CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: last_stand]
      #233134 - 10/16/12 11:36 AM

Did he slide a little late? Yep. So what? It's a hard game when you're turning two with a runner coming from first. Standing there with your feet planted is idiotic. I recall my brother getting his leg broke in four places on a similar deal. I'll never forget what my old man said to him, as he lay in his hospital bed the next day. "Maybe now you'll learn to get out of there, before the runner arrives..." That slide was no harder than dozens and dozens each year. But this one was on TV, in a playoff game so it will need to be blown up like the Kennedy assassination...

If this is such a big deal, why don't they change the rule? There was talk of it after Posey got hurt last year but nothing came of it. Don't cry about players playing hard if the rules allow it...

Here's another Hitler rant about the Cards beating the Nationals. These things never get old...

Hitler Rant

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: sptsman]
      #233146 - 10/16/12 09:08 PM

Buck and McCarver sure were outraged. Ad nauseum.

I was in the car about 30 minutes after the play and Shannon, sounding like he had just gulped a frosty, said Scutaro "shouldn't have expected much different by standing flat footed on the pivot. he - he- heeeee."

bwaaaaaaaaa

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

last_stand

#233211 - 10/19/12 12:33 PM

Cards are in good shape but no matter I really don't want them to go back to Frisco.

Hope they can get 'er done tonight.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#233215 - 10/19/12 01:30 PM

I'll take some pics for ya LS. Always nice when a buddy calls with 2 extra tickets to a playoff game.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: H2ODOG]
      #233260 - 10/21/12 09:11 PM

Stick a fork in them...........it's over.

Hey! It worked last year.

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

last_stand

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: foots]
      #233266 - 10/22/12 06:41 AM

Crazy ain't it?

Slumping in the field, slumping at the plate and the pitching has not been nearly good enough.

The scale has fallen off the table tipping for the Giants. They are at home and everything is going their way.

It doesn't look good. Cards need a 180 degree turn for all aspects of their game. But no way I'm giving up on this team at this point.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#233267 - 10/22/12 08:05 AM

The Baseball Gods may have decided that Matheny's failure to to remove Lynn in Game 5's fourth inning and not going all in with the bullpen.......

is reason enough to favor the Giants

Hoping Foots reverse Karma works

duko™

Loc: east mo

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: wuchang]
      #233268 - 10/22/12 08:49 AM

I think the trouble with Matheny started in Game 5 when there was a man on 2nd and 3rd with one out in the bottom of the 2nd and they sent Lynn to the plate swinging....should have left the bat in the dugout or least tried to bunt down the first base line.

Now that the Giants have their hopes up there is no doubt in my mind that we'll totally demoralize their fans tonight...its the only thing we're good at...

duko

sptsman

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: duko™]
      #233269 - 10/22/12 09:22 AM

Go Cards... That's all i got to say bout all of this.

--------------------

last_stand

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: wuchang]
      #233271 - 10/22/12 10:08 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
The Baseball Gods may have decided that Matheny's failure to to remove Lynn in Game 5's fourth inning and not going all in with the bullpen.......

Bingo!

He took the 2 game lead for granted and FAILED to understand the possible ramifications we now face.

Then salt to the wound occurred per duko's post.

He's a rookie manager....hell he's a rookie everything having NEVER even coached.......but he's in game 7 for the pennant. Context is everything. Game 5 pisses me off but it's true if TLR was managing my tv might have a smashed screen by now too.

Weather tonight is supposed to be like at old Candlestick. Brang it!

Anyway, lot's of haters rooting against us tonight (fess up west siders) and I'd have it no other way. May the best team win!

Go Cards!!

--------------------

last_stand

#233272 - 10/22/12 10:10 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:

Holy chit....you finally got some meds.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

MelModerator

Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

#233274 - 10/22/12 10:14 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

wuchang said:

Bingo!

He took the 2 game lead for granted and FAILED to understand the possible ramifications we now face.

Then salt to the wound occurred per duko's post.

He's a rookie manager....hell he's a rookie everything having NEVER even coached.......but he's in game 7 for the pennant. Context is everything. Game 5 pisses me off but it's true if TLR was managing my tv might have a smashed screen by now too.

Weather tonight is supposed to be like at old Candlestick. Brang it!

Anyway, lot's of haters rooting against us tonight (fess up west siders) and I'd have it no other way. May the best team win!

Go Cards!!

We just called Dinkinger to come out of retirement.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

sptsman

#233276 - 10/22/12 11:09 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Holy chit....you finally got some meds.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaa

No, I'm just plum tuckerd-out. I spent last week on the West (left) Coast, on a really jam packed trip. Got home Tursday and left 2 hours later for 150 mile bike ride halfway accross the state and now face 50-11 e-mails, phone calls and other crap at work. I am physically and mentally tapped.

But I still have time to take a peek here and see what gives. If time permitted and I had the energy (neither exists), I would set your crooked thinking straight (Matheny's moves had nothing to do with 1 run in 2 games - hitters aren't hitting. If we lost 8-7 or 6-5, you can make Matheny arguments). But alas, all I can muster up is the hope that the 8 or 12 run Cardinals show up and not the 1 run in 2 games Cardinals...

Prediction: Cards 6 Giants 3

Go Cards!!

--------------------

foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

#233281 - 10/22/12 02:44 PM

We are toast.

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: foots]
      #233289 - 10/22/12 09:46 PM

Well, since the Cards couldn't buy a run in 3 games, and my boss is from and lives in Detroit, I gotta say

fork

sptsman

#233290 - 10/22/12 10:11 PM

Welp, that was ugly... The post season was just a microcosm of the season. I heard a stat before the game that the Cardinals had 44 games where they scored 7 or more runs per game and 44 where they scored 2 or less.

Not having Berkman and Furcal was huge. Having Beltran and Holiday at far less than 100% didn't help. Way too many Memphis call-ups being used as full timers but there wasn't any other options. And let's not foget the complete choke job by some pretty key players, in this last 3 games.

Oh well, getting in on the 2nd Wild Card was sort of cheap to begin with and it felt like we were playing with house money. Just seeing them knock off the Braves and Nats was worth it. And I can't say much bad about the Giants. They're a lot like the Cardinals, in terms of scrappy and never-say-die.

Matheny gets a two thumbs up from me for this season. He got them to Game 7 of the NLCS, with a rag-tag, makeshift lineup at times. Not bad for a rookie manager.

As a Cubs fan would say, "There's always next year..." but for us, it's a real possibility...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#233293 - 10/23/12 12:04 AM

The only thing I was disappointed in was after Holiday got plunked on an 0-2 pitch (obvious retaliation for 'the slide'), and we had no chance to win the game, that we didn't just go all out brawl........maybe I'm just missing hockey.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: griffin]
      #233295 - 10/23/12 06:10 AM

Didn't think they'd do what they did but they sure as hell did.

--------------------

sptsman

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: griffin]
      #233297 - 10/23/12 06:57 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
The only thing I was disappointed in was after Holiday got plunked on an 0-2 pitch (obvious retaliation for 'the slide'), and we had no chance to win the game, that we didn't just go all out brawl........maybe I'm just missing hockey.

griffin

Baseball has changed too much. Too many guys making millions that won't do anything to endager that. If that happened 20-30+ years ago, the batter would have taken for the mound like a bolt of lightening and thrown a few haymakers. These beardedclams just stand there and contemplate how getting hurt or suspended or fined would impact their contract status and bank account. Hell, Scott Boris probably has a set of rules Holiday has to follow from the time he wakes up until he goes to bed (including when he goes to bed).

Had he charged the mound, the usual catcher chasing scenario would have taken place. How great would that have been to watch Holiday launch Posey like Herschel Walker shedding tacklers? But alas, he took his medicine like a big boy and made sure he didn't casue any problems

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#233318 - 10/23/12 09:55 PM

I personally wish they would have plugged Holliday in the earhole the next AB after the slide. Dude is geat in the regular season. He turns into a journeyman AA ball player come October. I call him Farmer Holliday, because he is alwasys swinging at chit in the dirt. I guess the Giants knew they didn't need to create drama by hitting him. Throw balls in the dirt and he will get himself out.....he sure as hell looks at the balls down the middle of the plate.

Of offense was stale as hell the last 3 games. Mattheny can't swing the bat. Yes Lynn should have been pulled after 3 innings, but when you only score 1 run in 3 games you deserve to go home. That's all on the players.

We got back to the NLCS.....game 7, while Whojols was sittin at home with the "best team" to get him back to the playoffs. Hell that alone put a huge smile on my face, win or lose.

--------------------

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

#233328 - 10/24/12 07:37 AM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:

We got back to the NLCS.....game 7, while Whojols was sittin at home with the "best team" to get him back to the playoffs. Hell that alone put a huge smile on my face, win or lose.

Holy epic flip-flop of the year post! Someone help me out here . . . Is this the same Dog who was head of the Pujols fan club? The same Dog who say PAY the man, he's worth it! The same Dog who said the Cardinals organization would be making a colossal mistake by not re-signing him? The same Dog who is now a hater, less than 10 months later?

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #233331 - 10/24/12 08:09 AM

Hell ya I was all for signing him. 24 hours before he signed with the Angels, the Cardinal organization worked their asses off to sign him. They did all they could do, and in the end Pujols gave them a big FU and went for more money. I can go dig up the quotes by Whojols that said it wasn't about the money, it was about winning. He loved STL and wanted to be a Cardinal for life. I'm not the flip-flopper, Pujols is.

I did say PAY THE MAN WHAT HE IS WORTH. Dewitt tried for 2 years to sign Whojols and pay him the money. Pujols at the last minute went to the Angels......to win and not for the money. I say piss on a guy for saying one thing and doing another.

I know facts are confusing to you liberals Paul Colmes Go stick your head back in the sand @ the political forum. Your brain will hurt less. I'm going to Blame Bush for not allowing the Cardinals to resign Whojols. Its gotta be his fault. Everything else is.

--------------------

Paul Dallas

#233338 - 10/24/12 02:49 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:

I did say PAY THE MAN WHAT HE IS WORTH. Dewitt tried for 2 years to sign Whojols and pay him the money. Pujols at the last minute went to the Angels......to win and not for the money. I say piss on a guy for saying one thing and doing another.

Martha??? . . . . Martha, can you please get the transcript and read back to us precisely what Dawg said back in February 2012? Did he really say "pay the man what he is worth" or is he parsing his words here?

Didn't he really say, "pay the man every dollar and cent he was asking for at that time because he was worth it" . . . .which at that time, every SANE member of "Cardinal Nation" knew to be WELL NORTH of where DeWitt was willing to go, and well north of where they should even consider.

Martha? Martha? transcript please?

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Cardinals 2012 [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #233340 - 10/24/12 02:57 PM

You are the smart liberal here.......you go find it Mr. Colmes. I've got work to do, so I can pay taxes, & so folks like yourself can get a income tax check come April. If you have trouble finding it, just ask Sportsman. He knows everything about any sports from Baseball to dodgeball.

--------------------

Paul Dallas

#233341 - 10/24/12 03:00 PM

The prosecution rests your honor. I have no further use for this Dog.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6064

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page