CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: sptsman]
      #241065 - 11/21/13 09:17 AM

So we lost the last two playoff series in particular because of Backes being our Captain.(this is laughable)

But if we win a Stanley Cup with him as Captain, or even if we go deep, it will be in spite of him.

Got it.

And it doesn't matter he's on track for 80 points. Points don't matter. But oh btw, he should have 30 goals a year.

Got it.

Dumb jock, too much to worry about, not a leader......You think there's one guy on the team that thinks this? We have a Captain who has no respect from his team mates? How do you make this chit up?

Backes wasn't born to be a Captain. Funny thing is he wasn't born to be a #1 center either. But the Blues have assigned him to both of those challenges. They were lucky to have him available. Two years ago, can you tell me who should have been made captain?

Sure there are marquee guys out there on other teams wearing their C. Guys with points, Cups and big names. Backes doesn't quite have those credentials yet and maybe he's not a perfect fit but the point is he's getting there.

IMO, the guy is highly under rated in this town. From people like you. Funny thing is, around the league, none of the #1 centers want to play against him. Wonder why that is.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: last_stand]
      #241068 - 11/21/13 12:04 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
So we lost the last two playoff series in particular because of Backes being our Captain.(this is laughable)

But if we win a Stanley Cup with him as Captain, or even if we go deep, it will be in spite of him.

Got it.

And it doesn't matter he's on track for 80 points. Points don't matter. But oh btw, he should have 30 goals a year.

Got it.

Dumb jock, too much to worry about, not a leader......You think there's one guy on the team that thinks this? We have a Captain who has no respect from his team mates? How do you make this chit up?

Backes wasn't born to be a Captain. Funny thing is he wasn't born to be a #1 center either. But the Blues have assigned him to both of those challenges. They were lucky to have him available. Two years ago, can you tell me who should have been made captain?

Sure there are marquee guys out there on other teams wearing their C. Guys with points, Cups and big names. Backes doesn't quite have those credentials yet and maybe he's not a perfect fit but the point is he's getting there.

IMO, the guy is highly under rated in this town. From people like you. Funny thing is, around the league, none of the #1 centers want to play against him. Wonder why that is.

What straw man you've built up there. And you knocked him down with such authority!!

Made some pretty big leaps there with what I said and meant, don't ya think? Teammates don't respect him? Reason, in particular, for Playoff losses?

He's just not a good Captain. Come to grips with it. He's not going to kill their chances, he just hinders them a bit...

I have no idea who the best player would be for the "C". But I know he's mediocre at best. After watching him the the last two playoff series against the Kings and hearing him talk during the lockout, I feel pretty comfortable that he is just not that smart.

And let's be clear, he's not "the reason" they lost to the Kings, twice. We can list a dozen reasons for those series losses. But to pretend he wasn't part of the problem is naive. Dumb penalties at critical times shows a tremnedous lack of judgement and leadership by example. And don't you look to your "C" to say to the guys, "Hey, we're getting our arses handed to us in the physical part of the game, let's step it up!!"? He either didn't deliver the message very good or they didn't listen because they got beat in nearly every aspect of the game. You don't look to your "C" for any part of that? Hmmmm

I like the guy and think taking the "C" off his sweater would be a win/win. The team gets a better Captain and he gets to just play hockey. He has the potential to be one of the top players in the game. He's that good.

I rest my case becasue there is no chance they're going to change Captian during the season. Maybe he'll get better at it and become smarter...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

#241071 - 11/21/13 02:34 PM

Right he's no good but you can't name another who you would have preferred 2 years ago. That's really a great argument you have there......who the fork needs a straw man when all any one has to do is respond to you.

And last year he DID call out his team during the year and he took some crap in this forumn for doin it as I recall ....and the team turned around shortly there after. Who woulda thunk from a worried, slow thinking neanderthal.

That C on his jersey doesn't bother me at all....but I do hope they get some good camera angles on it for some proper viewing from your lazy boy.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

last_stand

#241075 - 11/21/13 04:00 PM

None of these are me.

But I think it's 10 to 1 for Backes.

Maybe you are the 1.

http://interact.stltoday.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=996158

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#241078 - 11/21/13 05:52 PM

Back to you , Boomer!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

sptsman

#241084 - 11/22/13 06:10 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Right he's no good but you can't name another who you would have preferred 2 years ago. That's really a great argument you have there...

I have no idea who the best candidate was 2 years ago and I have even less of an idea today. Heck, he may have been the best candidate and that's how he ended up being the "C". That stuff is really for the coaches to decide. But not knowing who would be better, doesn't mean you can't recognize he isn't great at the job.

Quote:

last_stand said:
And last year he DID call out his team during the year and he took some crap in this forumn for doin it as I recall ....and the team turned around shortly there after. Who woulda thunk from a worried, slow thinking neanderthal.

I never cared much for guys that call out teammates publicly and really didn't like it when he did it. That stuff should stay in the locker room, on the bench, at practice or even at the bar when you're drinking a few with the teammates. It was especially bad when he was as much a part of the problem as anyone. Just another example of how he was not a good choice for the "C".

Quote:

last_stand said:
That C on his jersey doesn't bother me at all....but I do hope they get some good camera angles on it for some proper viewing from your lazy boy.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm not losing any sleep over it. He can get better at being a "C" (I hope anyway) and this team may be strong enough that it won't matter.

Huge win last night. Not their best effort in the 3rd period, especailly at the end. But Halak played great and they did enough to win. Great to see Roy get the shootout winner, after his near miss in OT.

Go Blue!!

--------------------

sptsman

#241085 - 11/22/13 06:12 AM

Bubba, what's your take on this. Is Backes the best choice for the Blues Captain?

--------------------

last_stand

#241087 - 11/22/13 11:32 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:
Right he's no good but you can't name another who you would have preferred 2 years ago. That's really a great argument you have there...

I have no idea who the best candidate was 2 years ago and I have even less of an idea today. Heck, he may have been the best candidate and that's how he ended up being the "C". That stuff is really for the coaches to decide. But not knowing who would be better, doesn't mean you can't recognize he isn't great at the job.

Quote:

last_stand said:

I never cared much for guys that call out teammates publicly and really didn't like it when he did it. That stuff should stay in the locker room, on the bench, at practice or even at the bar when you're drinking a few with the teammates. It was especially bad when he was as much a part of the problem as anyone. Just another example of how he was not a good choice for the "C".

Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

I'm not losing any sleep over it. He can get better at being a "C" (I hope anyway) and this team may be strong enough that it won't matter.

Huge win last night. Not their best effort in the 3rd period, especailly at the end. But Halak played great and they did enough to win. Great to see Roy get the shootout winner, after his near miss in OT.

Go Blue!!

Right. What most knowledge fans feel is our MVP isn't a good Captain. Stick with that. It suits you.

And it was a great win last night. Every one played their part. I especially liked Backes with the huge HIT to clear the puck with 2 minutes to go. Oh and the goal he scored was ok too.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#241090 - 11/22/13 04:43 PM

I'd go with Hull !

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: Bubba]
      #241120 - 11/25/13 08:49 PM

Watch the Blue's +/- as the season wears on.....that's all you need to know.

This is a really good hockey team.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: griffin]
      #241128 - 11/26/13 02:29 PM

I checked it a few nights ago and it was +29, by far the best in the NHL. This team is as good, maybe better than the 90-91 season. I think they are a better two-way team. Steen is scoring but he is as good as they come as as a two-way player.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#241137 - 11/27/13 09:33 AM

Tied for first in goal differential at 30 with San Jose.
Tied for second in goals per game at 3.4
Second in assists per game at 6.1
First in power play %
9th in penalty kill
6th in goals against average at 2.1

The numbers support that they are a pretty complete team.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: IIFID]
      #241197 - 12/03/13 07:31 AM

Dissapointing losses in San Jose and LA. The team showed a real lack of toughness and heart, in those games. In San Jose, it was matter of not showihng up to play. I guess they figured the Sharks would see that 5 game winning streak and just lay down for them. Ooops, not so much. You actually have show up and play all 60 mins of the game. Spotting any team a 4 goal lead is relatively certain loss.

In LA the Blues showed what got them knocked out of the last two playoffs. The Kings just owned them and all but one or two Blues seem to be fine with that. They were out-hit 31 to 52. If this team doesn't learn to play that kind of grind-it-out hockey, it will be another bump from the plyoffs. A 100+ point regular season means nothing, if you don't have the heart and soul needed for playoff hocky. Let's hope the Blues use these losses as a barometer of what they need to do to be a Cup contender.

Let's hope they can overcome the lack of leadership, in their ranks...

--------------------

last_stand

#241207 - 12/03/13 02:41 PM

There's no doubt the Kings are in the Blues heads.

At some point, this year, it has to be addressed. I know one thing that could help is outstanding goal tending and I am getting that queezy feeling again..........

--------------------

sptsman

#241221 - 12/04/13 10:56 AM

Best this happens early in the year. Hopefully, it will give them time to grow a set, before they have to play them again. Not sure how you can play so strong against teams like Chicago and Boston, then melt when you play LA. Frustrating...

The net-minding is always an issue. While they are deep in goaltending, it remains to be seen if any one of them can carry them through the playoffs. Considering how critical it is to playoff success, I trust Hitchcock and Armstrong are just as concerned.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241237 - 12/05/13 04:18 PM

I just read an article on the NHL I thought was interesting. Supposedly NHL players were asked to vote on who they thought the best players and coaches were. There werre the 100 best Forwards, Top 50 defensmen, Top 25 Goalies and the Top 30 head coaches.
Here is where the Blues ended up:
Top 100 FORWARDS
Backes 37
Oshie 69
Steen 75 (remember this was before the season)

Top 50 DEFENSEMEN
Pietroangelo 11
Shattenkirk 20
Bouwmeester 27

Top 25 Goalies
Halak 25

Top 30 Head Coaches
Hitchcock 7

I found it interesting...

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

#241248 - 12/06/13 12:41 PM

iifid do you have a link on that poll?

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241253 - 12/06/13 08:16 PM

It was on ESPN.com

--------------------

sptsman

#241292 - 12/09/13 08:23 AM

Another 1st period no-show against the Ducks. Starting to be a trend with these boyz... I wonder how long Hitch will put up with that before he benches a few key players.

--------------------

last_stand

#241578 - 12/27/13 02:31 PM

Hawks on Saturday! Blues have had a some issues over the past few games, should be a a good test.

Not sure if Steen is back for this one.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241580 - 12/27/13 03:36 PM

When is the Blues last win against a high quality team? Lately the Blues have been winning against less talented teams and losing to the good ones - especially the real physical ones. San Jose, Anaheim and Vancouver come to mind...

--------------------

last_stand

#241581 - 12/27/13 06:26 PM

The last good win against a good team was recent vs. the Habs........but your point is taken, prior to that it was a month ago.

We have major issues with SJ and the Kings, both big physical teams with good goal tending. Throw in the loss to the Ducks and I think the Nucks and yeah, it seems to be a west coast problem. And since we play in the WESTERN CONFERENCE that is no small potato.

This is looking samo samo to me for the payoffs but this really is a very good team and there is time for the guys to make the adjustments and figure out how to win the physical games. Blues are considered to be physical themselves.

And DA may make a move. Who knows.

I am still concerned with playoff goal tending. This is Halaks last chance to remain a Blue imo. Time to chit or get off the pot. He or Elliott or both will be gone after this year. It's up to him.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241585 - 12/27/13 09:10 PM

I echo the fears re our goaltending. Perhaps if Reaves comes back some toughness will increase...

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241612 - 12/29/13 08:23 PM

Back to back decent wins. Still not convinced they are equal to the teams at the top but they are a quality club.

--------------------

sptsman

#241622 - 12/30/13 07:14 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Back to back decent wins. Still not convinced they are equal to the teams at the top but they are a quality club.

The way I see it there are only two things that can keep them from advancing in the playoffs. The first is goaltending and we've beat that one to death. In short, Halak has the skills but serious issues between the ears. Elliott is good but not great. If he were to carry any team through the playoffs, it would be by bringing his A+++ game every minute of every game. Clearly, he hasn't been able to do that yet. Do you now give Jake Allen a shot?

The second is simply the leadership and inconsistencey of this team. For the skill level thay have, they should never lose to sub .500 teams. Yet we see them take shifts, whole periods and sometimes entire games off. Backes is a great player and very weak Captain. Guys like Stewart and Berglund have more talent than 90% of the guys in the NHL but can't bring themselves to play like they want to win every shift of every game. I think Berglund is just too soft and Stewart has headworms. He's the Jaime Garcia of the Blues. They should just hire a full time shrink to follow him around and keep him off the ledge. There are a few others but those are the big name players that just stick out like a sore thumb, when you look at current problems.

Let's hope the next few months is used to work out the kinks in the goaltending and gel these guys into winners. The God-given talent is there. Can they harness it and use it to win is the question.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1196 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25169

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page