CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: sptsman]
      #241630 - 12/30/13 02:03 PM

You guys are goofy. Elliot should be the #1 goalie....he's 9-1 with a 2.04 GAA, almost .5 lower than Halak. He's a true #1 and the Blues now have the scoring punch to win with him.

As for the rest of the tripe......the Blues have the best +/- in hockey as well as the best winning percentage. The three or four teams in the entire NHYL with better records have 3 games on the Note.

Let it go......this is a really good hockey club that doesn't need any more "pieces". There's alot of parity in the NHL so a cup may or may not be in the cards this year.....but this team qualifies as one of the best the organization has ever put on the ice.

Andy - stop your damn whining.....you can't make this club much better.....check the standings.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: griffin]
      #241631 - 12/30/13 04:30 PM

He really can whine with the best of them. bwaaaaaaaaaaa

Well I am fine with where they are and the Chicago fiasco the other night had a lot to do with Halak and our key guys being out AND we still won that barn burner.

It's a great regular season. Teresenko and Schwartz are up and coming offensive play makers, worth watching by themselves.

But c'mon griff..........45 forkin years you can't tell me that's not in the back of your mind. Well you can but don't bother you'd be lying anyway.

Gimme the 94 pt. 8 seed but let's win a forkin Cup.......that's my standard for the year these days.....94 pts or 110 pts just get us to the finals.

I won't argue with you about Elliott because the only thing I am hanging my hat on with this team is the possibility that one of these two goalies can actually do justice for this roster and figure it out and come thru STRONG in April when it matters most.

Last year Kings had 12 goals and we had 10 in round one, our last round of the year. Elliott played well but Quick played better. 2 goal differential over 6 games.

You say it's Elliott. Well I forkin pray its Elliott, and if history matters, he needs the prayers.

We're scoring goals and we have the D. As I see it, it's the goal tending. It will all come down to the goal tending.

We got a head case and a career back up in tow. Gotta go light some more candles down at the Cathedral.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#241632 - 12/30/13 04:34 PM

Are you predicting a run to Lord Stanley's cup Griff? I didn't say that they weren't a good team. I think they are better than they have been for a long time. However I am not ready to say they are elite. They do have three wins against 0 losses to the 'Hawks which is surprising ( Especially considering the Hawks have a total of 7 losses). But they are also 0 and 6 against the Ducks, Kings, Sharks and Canucks. I still think their potential Achilles heel is playing very physical teams.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: IIFID]
      #241633 - 12/30/13 04:42 PM

Yes, this team can absolutely win the cup.....but it's all about being hot during the playoffs in the NHL. Just don't try to tell me that this team doesn't have the talent to win it all, of course they do....which isn't something that we've been able to say honestly too many times in 45 years.

Yes, Tim, I predict a run to the Stanley Cup......where it will end I don't know. But I know that this version of the Blues is one of the best in the NHL this year....so we'll see. I'd rather be sitting in this seat than most of the others we've sat in.

All of the crying over the years about not enough goal scoring etc.....can't say it this year. All the years about weak defense....gone this year. Goaltending? Halak and Elliot can hold their own in that league.....without question.

I'm enjoying the season......they don't need to make any moves.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241634 - 12/30/13 05:32 PM

I enjoy watching them and think Hitchcock is the right coach for this team. Rarely do they seem to get out-worked. And yes I think they have more overall talent on this team than I can ever remember. I am hoping they are tough enough for the grinder which is a long season and the even tougher run through the playoffs.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#241635 - 12/30/13 06:00 PM

I thought their problem was a sucky Captain...what happened to that whine?

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: Bubba]
      #241636 - 12/30/13 06:38 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
I thought their problem was a sucky Captain...what happened to that whine?

You mean the most likely mvp of the team with 30 points and 20 minutes against opposing top lines every game?

Yep this team can go far.

Dear God,
Please let the Blues go far.
Thank You God.

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#241661 - 12/31/13 05:59 PM

stfu bubba!!!!!!!

Somebody get that 4 ticks & 4 big macs for $129!!!!!!
sad......sad......sad......used to go to a lot of games.
$5

No freakin way this team can go for the cup
I've enjoyed this week of play..but goalies will win the day.......where's the gumper when we needs um???????

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

fastman

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: fastman]
      #241662 - 12/31/13 06:00 PM

lookin good after 2!!!!!!!!!!

on a side note.........m dixon jr. gets 40 for the tigers!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

fastman

#241663 - 12/31/13 06:01 PM

i luv me some red wine

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#241678 - 01/02/14 08:11 AM

Got a couple of primo tickets for tonight, as bithday present from the wife. Section 102, I think.

I always enjoy going to the games, especially with good seats. Between the high cost, my work travel and the general pain-in-the-arse that it is going to games (we live 40+ miles from there), I just don't go as much these days. In the late 70's and 80's I went to dozens of games every year. In the early to mid 80's I was going 20-30 times a year on average. One year ('83 I think) I went to every home game but one or two.

Looking forward to seeing how the Blues respond to the LA Kings, after losing to them. On the bright side, the Blues are hot and the Kings are struggling. They also won't have Jonanthan quick in the net. On the down side, it looks like they still won't have Backes or Steen. Although that hasn't slowed them too much, in recent games.

Now I just have to dig up my Larry Patey jersey....

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241690 - 01/02/14 02:49 PM

I think Backes may be back tonight. And Stewart is possibly back as well... haven't heard a thing about Steen though? Has anyone? Is this going to be a long time thing with him??
I hope Schwartz continues on his roll! Is it goals in 6 games in a row now?

--------------------

last_stand

#241692 - 01/02/14 04:34 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Got a couple of primo tickets for tonight, as bithday present from the wife. Section 102, I think.

Is the missus going with you or do you get to take griffin? Was thinking if he had 3 hours time he might get the whining to slow down around here.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#241694 - 01/02/14 10:42 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

Looking forward to seeing how the Blues respond to the LA Kings, after losing to them.

I guess they did alright, huh?

Stand down, Andy....this is the best Blues team ever..... no matter how the season ends, enjoy the ride. This team is +51 at the halfway point. Think about that for a minute.

And again, in case anyone missed it when I said it before....... Elliot should be the #1 goalie....period.

griffin - hopeless hockey homer

--------------------

sptsman

#241698 - 01/03/14 07:38 AM

Heck of an effort by our boyz. Talk about team play and puck support. That may have been one of the best team efforts of the year. Of course that's what they needed with Steen and Backes out. Sobotka got the #3 star and could have easily been the #1. Of course that would require bumping Elliott to #2 or #3 and he earned his shutout. Perfect positioning, few rebounds and a few big saves when needed. That first period could have easily ended in an LA lead, if not for him. Hopefully, he'll make it hard for them to put Halak back in the net.

Two things worth noting but shouldn't take anything away from the Blues effort and win. First, a healthy Jonathan Quick makes that a whole different game. Their goaltanding was terrible. Second, LA is in a slump and played like it. They were flat-footed and looked disinterested in the game. Very little of the hard banging you would expect from them... Of course the back-checking and defensive play of our fowards was a big part of it.

I forgot how much better it is to be at the games in person. You can see dozens of little things you just don't get on TV. You just get such a better feel for the game and how each team is playing it. Seeing how and when the defensemen pinch-in or retreat, how the neutral zone play is being supported, the little stuff behind the play, etc... Damn, it would be nice to be wealthy and have primo season tickets...

Not sure if this is the best Blues team ever but it is about as good as any I can recall. If Elliott and/or Halak can get hot, look out!! Solid goaltending behind this bunch would make them almost unbeatable.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#241700 - 01/03/14 08:06 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
If Elliott and/or Halak can get hot, look out!! Solid goaltending behind this bunch would make them almost unbeatable.

DUDE!!! The Blues have allowed the 3rd fewest goals in the NHL.....stop it!

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#241706 - 01/03/14 11:30 AM

That has a lot more to do with the quality of this team than it does the golatending. This defense is as solid as you will find in the NHL. Elliott has done better but just recently cracked the top ten in save percentage. Halak is barely over .900, coming in as #35 in the NHL rankings.

Like you, I'm hoping Elliott wins the job and plays out of his mind. But at this point, I'd be happy with good, steady netminding...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#241707 - 01/03/14 11:36 AM

It's a popular myth for hockey fans that good goaltending makes a good team.....that's backwards and wrong. A good team makes good goaltending. The Blues are absolutely fine with Halak and Elliot. Watch more of their shootouts if you need proof.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#241708 - 01/03/14 11:43 AM

Agreed that a good team can make a goalie better. But watch the playoffs and show me a team that has gone deep without a goaltender that is very good and hot during the run. It's rare...

I want shutouts every game dammit!!

--------------------

sptsman

#241709 - 01/03/14 11:48 AM

And WTF is with $9.00 beers? Good thing I went to dinner first and had a full belly (only had room for 2). That could be an expensive night otherwise...

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241711 - 01/03/14 12:41 PM

The Blues blocked 24 shots last night and I believe 28 in the game before. it takes a high level of commitment to do that and the Blues have it. I think Cole blocked 8 or 9 himself last night!

--------------------

last_stand

#241714 - 01/03/14 05:01 PM

I will be thrilled if either Elliott or Halak give us the quality goal tending that's required for a deep run.

I don't consider Crawford or Neimi elite but they were good enough at one point and time to give their GREAT teams enough skill to win. We don't need elite with this team. We need steady, solid and dependable net minding to get to April and continue once he playoffs begin. That includes making great saves at critical times and just being steady eddy the rest of the time.

I have seen Halak hot before and I have seen Elliott hot before. I have seen NEITHER hot in the playoffs for the Blues. OK Elliott was hot the first 3 games of last years Kings series. He then was not hot the last 3. And I'm not blaming the series loss on Elliott. We scored 10 friggen goals over 6 games. But Elliott was a part of that meltdown (we were up 2-0)with 2 very soft bad goals when we were trying to shut the door. That's not solid and that's not steady. on the other hand, Quick was both and then some.

Hey, we all agree we have the D and we have the guys who are actually putting it in the net. PP and PK no problem. We have the depth to win with 4 top players out of the line up. We are no longer waiting on Oshie or asking about Backes. The team has grown up and they have the experience we have all been talking about.

IMO, how far we can go is going to come down to the goal tending. I'm pulling for them. I'm listening but if it's Elliott he is going to have to do what he has not done before. And that's one dam long post season to endure. He has the ability no doubt but it seems he let's stuff in his head that suddenly impacts his whole game.

If it's Halak that comes through, well, I'll be shocked. And I was his biggest fan coming here.

And lastly there's Allen. Funny, I have this feeling we may be seeing him in the near future.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: last_stand]
      #241716 - 01/03/14 08:36 PM

But what about the sucky Captain....I mean , damn.

Did you know MIZZOU is playing?

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#241847 - 01/08/14 07:59 AM

The roll continues with a sixth straight win.
Record of 30 7 5
65 points with three less games played than the Hawks or the Ducks.
Goal diff is now +58

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#241850 - 01/08/14 08:16 AM

With 10 Blues players headed to the Olympics, along with Hitchcock, there is no doubt this is the best Blues team ever. They will be in the conversation for Stanley Cup winners for sure.

griffin

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1183 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25169

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page