CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: griffin]
      #242053 - 01/17/14 09:36 AM

yall talkin bout the "quick" that waz in Harlem Nights?????????

Playas win games....knot stats

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: fastman]
      #242055 - 01/17/14 11:12 AM

Sptsman you are gonna love this but some of the Blues play last night is due to Backes not being 100%. We gave away the first 10 minutes if that game to the Kings.

While Stewart can take every other night off DB can't and his non recovery is evident to me.

Halak with the 2 good games and then the let down. Samo samo. That first goal was weak too that wasn't a screen shot imo. The guy is just not focused on the game. If you're a goal tender, EVERYTHING matters.

We have Quick in our net we win. Like I said, this "run" for this very good team is going to come down to goal tending in the end.

Officiating was it's usual horrible self. Nolan throws the first punch and he walks while they put Reeves in the box. And that one hurt.

Elliott has to stay in these games and deliver, it's all we got. If Hitch insists on Halak he's more than a half bubble off.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: last_stand]
      #242128 - 01/20/14 06:53 AM

I think we can all agree this team has the talent. What remains to be seen is if they have the toughness and grit to win during the playoffs. These last two games have shown they're not quite there yet. They are now 1-7 against Pacific division teams and I think we can all agree that the road to the Cup will require them to beat at least one of those teams and likely 2 of them, in a playoff series.

4 games in the next 6 nights. Let's hope they're in shape and over this bug that has been hitting them for the past month or two...

Go Blue!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: sptsman]
      #242132 - 01/20/14 11:57 AM

We had about 4 guys that came ready to play Saturday night.

You give the Ducks first 40 minutes of free ice and yeah, 3-0 sounds about right.

Nice third period but as the song says......it's too late baby.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#242144 - 01/20/14 08:50 PM

Pretty impressive outing tonight. The 'wings were short handed but still an impressive result at the Joe. Goals by three different defensemen? Steen didn't miss a beat, did he!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: IIFID]
      #242181 - 01/22/14 05:22 PM

Worse game in many moons and not a peep from anybody? Please.......a 7-1 beatdown by the DEVILS?????????

We've lost 4 of the last six in regulation. Is this train gonna limp into the Olympic station for a rebuilt engine??

Nah...........so far it's just Blues hockey as usual. They are hiding the good stuff......the unheard of heretofore unseen heretofore unachieved stuff...... for later. Yes, it is still the year of the Cup for this team..........they are just making it interesting for all to take in.

Houston.............we got a problem.

But then again, Apollo 13 did get down safely, didn't it?

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#242182 - 01/22/14 05:58 PM

Let 'em slump now.....who cares? Look at the last 3 or 4 cup winners.....all had 1-7, 2-8, type slumps during their season. I like that better than going in with the Presidents cup and no adversity all season.

Relax......breath deep.....watch the Sherman video.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#242186 - 01/22/14 06:50 PM

Hey Griff what is your thoughts on the rumor of Halak plus next years #1 pick for Ryan Miller??

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242190 - 01/22/14 08:07 PM

I'm no Halak fan....that is my thought. I think Halak can get hot and play with any goalie in the league....but he's a head case. I'd make that trade.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#242192 - 01/22/14 09:39 PM

I'd make it in a heartbeat but it is will more than likely there will be more to give that Jaro and a 1st. Devils will want a young gun like Jaskin or Rattie to come along. OK, if we were really lucky they will want Stewie. bwaaaaaaaa

I'm not concerned with the slump. I am concerned with goal tending and yeah certain players who just can't seem to be ready on any kind of consistent basis.

Yep...they are the ones who need to watch the Sherman video. Say what you want, but that dude comes to play.

--------------------

sptsman

#242195 - 01/23/14 06:20 AM

It is a slump but it should give a little pause for concern. Goaltending will just have to be the big question mark. I don't see a trade for Miller happening. I won't be upset if it does, especially if you coul unload Halak and maybe Stewart as well. Both are complete head cases and play with no consistency.

Rangers tonight. We'll see how they respond. You'd like to think they would come out blazin' after that whuppin' in NJ but this team is hard to figure.

--------------------

last_stand

#242206 - 01/23/14 03:51 PM

You know we are kind of screwed with the whole goalie situation.

First off DA and Hitch continue to believe in Halak......not that Elliott doesn't give them reason for that......but even their lean towards Halak is feasible because Elliott plays better as a back up.......so imo the whole thing is one big blob of grey matter.

Then they are both signed thru this year so the Blues are reluctant to send them down for the money they are making.

Neither goalie is truly attractive to other teams because of their inconsistency.

I am not convinced that the Blues are convinced that Jake Allen is the answer. I thought he played extremely well up here last year (8-3 I think...saved their bacon too) then they ship him off and I haven't seen him since....this in the midst of what I call a breakdown at this important position.

So right or wrong about this if they bring in Miller they will likely have to give up a good chunk and then Miller is a free agent after the play offs so is he a play off rental or do you now shelve Jake Allen again next year?? As I see it, if Miller comes in at a steep price we better win the Cup for that trade to be worth it's weight. OK.....Conference Champs.

Then you have to remember in order to sign and hold onto both Halak and Elliott they shipped of all things the local kid Ben Bishop off to Ottowa last season and he is now with Florida playing as one of the top goalies of the season. He was here the whole time. Right under their nose.

Not the best summary perhaps but good god this whole goalie thing has been one big mess after another. And that comes from a guy who thought Halak was the real deal when he came here.

So here we are....a very good roster BUT.........it's never that simple for the Blues.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#242212 - 01/23/14 05:44 PM

Indeed!!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: Bubba]
      #242217 - 01/23/14 07:50 PM

Really good win against the Rangers tonite. Hope Steen's injury isn't serious...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242218 - 01/23/14 08:17 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
You know we are kind of screwed with the whole goalie situation.

First off DA and Hitch continue to believe in Halak......not that Elliott doesn't give them reason for that......but even their lean towards Halak is feasible because Elliott plays better as a back up.......so imo the whole thing is one big blob of grey matter.

Then they are both signed thru this year so the Blues are reluctant to send them down for the money they are making.

Neither goalie is truly attractive to other teams because of their inconsistency.

I am not convinced that the Blues are convinced that Jake Allen is the answer. I thought he played extremely well up here last year (8-3 I think...saved their bacon too) then they ship him off and I haven't seen him since....this in the midst of what I call a breakdown at this important position.

So right or wrong about this if they bring in Miller they will likely have to give up a good chunk and then Miller is a free agent after the play offs so is he a play off rental or do you now shelve Jake Allen again next year?? As I see it, if Miller comes in at a steep price we better win the Cup for that trade to be worth it's weight. OK.....Conference Champs.

Then you have to remember in order to sign and hold onto both Halak and Elliott they shipped of all things the local kid Ben Bishop off to Ottowa last season and he is now with Florida playing as one of the top goalies of the season. He was here the whole time. Right under their nose.

Not the best summary perhaps but good god this whole goalie thing has been one big mess after another. And that comes from a guy who thought Halak was the real deal when he came here.

So here we are....a very good roster BUT.........it's never that simple for the Blues.

34-11-5 after 50 games......3rd best team in NHL....and you guys won't quit.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#242220 - 01/24/14 06:03 AM

Well yeah........happy there's that.

Then there's the second season, the one that everyone gives a chit about.

--------------------

sptsman

#242222 - 01/24/14 07:58 AM

I see a team that has tons of talent and could easily win the Presidents Trophy. So what? I don't want a forking Presidents Trophy. I want a Cup.

Please don't tell me this team is ready for a deep playoff run, they are not there yet. They are 1-7 against Pacific Div. teams. Not sure if you noticed but LA and Anaheim have made some deep runs, in the past few years, including a Cup and clearly are equipped to do it again. The Blues have shown they aren't quite up to par with these teams when they go head-to-head. If it weren't for Quick being out in the spanking LA took a few weeks ago in STL, the Blues might be 0-8 against Pacific Div. teams. This is reason for concern.

I have confidence that Hitch and his staff will get them there but they are not there yet. We still have key players like Stewart and Berglund and a few goalies that just can't seem to bring their A game every night. That missed breakaway by Berglund last night was a perfect example of how this guy is a waste of talent. He has all the God-given talent you could ask for but can't seem to give it 100%, all of the time. I heard the announcer say, "I don't think Berglund realized the defender slipped..." SO WHAT?!?!?! If he were digging and giving 100%, he would have had the breakaway!! When he and Stewart ran into each other, I just thought; how appropriate! Maybe hitch has some magic dust he can sprinkle on those two...

So, let me have my anxiety over this. I've seen some great Blues teams, just like this, that haven't even managed to get to the finals, much less win a Cup. And all of them had this same problem. They are great in the regular season but don't have the grit and physicality to stay with the bigger, tougher, grinding teams, come playoff time...

Again, I trust Hitch will get them there and maybe DA makes a trade (I doubt it). Either way, I'd like to see them compete a little better against serious playoff contenders.

Oh, the above anxiety doesn't mean I am not thoroughly enjoying the run. Most of the games are fun to watch and it is a treat to see some of these young guys flying around and making moves. There is some special talent on this team. And this defense is every bit as good as the Pronger/MacInnis days. I love watching them pinch in and/or join the rush.

And that's all I got to say about that...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242224 - 01/24/14 09:29 AM

I think they are in trouble for a cup run, as is Chicago this year. The Olympics will take a big toll, especially when nearly half your team is going.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#242226 - 01/24/14 02:45 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

And this defense is every bit as good as the Pronger/MacInnis days.

Nice try but no, they are not. Those two anchored a couple of D's that were the berries.
(Haus, you will have to look that up..........bwaaaaaaaaa)

Christ, Petro was better two years ago than he is playing right now. Contractitus? Something.

--------------------

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#242230 - 01/24/14 03:53 PM

dingle??

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

sptsman

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: HAUS]
      #242241 - 01/25/14 08:03 PM

Pretty remarkable win today. They got a huge break from whatever dolt was reviewing that last Islander non-goal. It should have been a goal. I guess the bad calls even out over a season No question he kicked it in. The question is did he intend to do it and it was a kicking motion. No way. I would argue he didn't even know where the puck was. Oh well, good for us...

Rumor mill churning that the Miller trade is a possibility. I'll believe it when I see it...

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: HAUS]
      #242299 - 01/29/14 09:06 AM

Another good win last night. Pretty complete game against the Devils. Not quite the payback for last week but a good win. Why wasn't Reaves playing last night? Anybody know? Was he a healthy scratch? Could have used him in the third when things got chippy... Polak got pole-axed!

--------------------

Paul Dallas

Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

#242301 - 01/29/14 09:55 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Another good win last night. Pretty complete game against the Devils. Not quite the payback for last week but a good win. Why wasn't Reaves playing last night? Anybody know? Was he a healthy scratch? Could have used him in the third when things got chippy... Polak got pole-axed!

Yes - much more enjoyable to watch than the State of the Union. Blues looked pretty good. Halak really looked sharp. And poor Polak, wow, his knees buckled on that upper-cut from Clowe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhEgFGZbfo

Edited by Paul Dallas (01/29/14 09:58 AM)

sptsman

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #242368 - 02/02/14 09:07 AM

Friday night the Blues were simply out-skated and out-worked. On a bright note, if it weren't for Halak they would have lost by 3 or 4 goals, maybe more.

Last night was the opposite, in the nets. Much to my dismay, 2 of the 3 goals by Nashville were soft by Elliott. Again, he's given the chance to rise to the occasion and simply doesn't. Granted the whole team let down to allow Nashville to come back and Elliott made some good saves in the 3rd and in the shootout but we never would have been there, if he hadn't let in the softies.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242371 - 02/02/14 11:02 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Friday night the Blues were simply out-skated and out-worked. On a bright note, if it weren't for Halak they would have lost by 3 or 4 goals, maybe more.

Last night was the opposite, in the nets. Much to my dismay, 2 of the 3 goals by Nashville were soft by Elliott. Again, he's given the chance to rise to the occasion and simply doesn't. Granted the whole team let down to allow Nashville to come back and Elliott made some good saves in the 3rd and in the shootout but we never would have been there, if he hadn't let in the softies.

I sure was happy to have Elliot in the net when the shootout started.

Nice win for the Blues.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1271 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25169

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page