CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: griffin]
      #242372 - 02/02/14 12:27 PM

Tarasenko is one hell of a player. He has a plan every time he touches the puck.

And that wrister of his is the sweetest thing I've seen in Blue since they came to town.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: last_stand]
      #242448 - 02/07/14 01:14 PM

Man, those terrible goalies of ours almost cost us a win against arguably the best team in the East.....so lucky to have pulled out yet another win behind them.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Happy Birthday foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

#242450 - 02/07/14 01:20 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Tarasenko is one hell of a player. He has a plan every time he touches the puck.

And that wrister of his is the sweetest thing I've seen in Blue since they came to town.

Yeah, if that Brett Hull guy woulda had decent wrist shot he mighta scored a hunnert goals a year when he was a Blue.

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#242451 - 02/07/14 02:00 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Man, those terrible goalies of ours almost cost us a win against arguably the best team in the East.....so lucky to have pulled out yet another win behind them.

I think you miss the point completely. We all agree the both golaies are very good. The question is: Can they carry this team through the playoffs? Since they have both showed inconsistent play at times, there is some question as to whether either of them us up to the task of playing at the highest level for the duration of the playoffs. If you don't think that is a concern for this team, you have your head in the sand...

To take each win during the regular season and hold it up as some vlaidation of these netminders being compared to Glenn Hall or Patrick Roy is absurd. A team, no matter how good they are, will only go as far in the playoffs as their goalie(s) will take them. Both of ours have talent and appear to be capable. But neither of them has played more than 3 or 4 solid games in net, in a row.

When some goof says that a team can be good enough to overcome, less-than-stellar goaltending and still win the Cup, I ask them to give me one example. They can't because it has never happened. Even average netminders that have their name on the Cup somehow managed to play outstanding during the run to the Cup.

And that's all I got to say about that...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: sptsman]
      #242452 - 02/07/14 03:24 PM

On any given night Halak or Elliot can look like the the second coming of Glen Hall or Jacques Plante. However on another night either, but especially Halak, can look like Phil Myre or Ed Staniowski. The inconsistency is what bothers me.

Griff do you REALLY trust either of these goalies to be good enough for the Note to make a deep run in the playoffs? I still don't. Even last night Halak got very lucky several times and as usual he gave up a lot of fat rebounds.

Or put another way, if you list the forwards, the defensemen and the goalies as separate groups, which would say was the strongest group and which would you say was the weakest? I would definitely say the goalies are the weakest of those three groups.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: IIFID]
      #242474 - 02/10/14 08:26 AM

Now we just keep our fingers crossed that none of our boys get injured in Sochi. Talk about a coach and GM's nightmare... I don't envy their job, especially when they get back from Russia. A team like the Blues has half the team that needs hard workouts and the other half that needs rest. How do you run those practices? I guess the boys that need rest just sit.

Also hearing rumors that the Blues are shopping Chris Stewart pretty hard. I, for one, would love to see him go. He's a head case and plays aout as inconsistently as you can. It's a shame too, because his physical presence is exactly what the Blues need in the playoffs. What good does it do to be 6'2" - 230Lbs if you only decide to give an effort every 3rd or 4th shift? Reaves has 1/2 the talent but gives twice the effort. Even Berglund is starting to come around a little...

The post Olympic play will give us a good read on who is going to get hot for a playoff run.

--------------------

last_stand

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: foots]
      #242475 - 02/10/14 09:04 AM

Quote:

foots said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Yeah, if that Brett Hull guy woulda had decent wrist shot he mighta scored a hunnert goals a year when he was a Blue.

I had Hull in mind when I wrote it. Still wrote it. This kid is gonna be better than Hull in about different 10 ways. And you gotta wait 15 years to prove me wrong. bwaaaaaaaa

Oh yeah, fork Hull.

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

last_stand

#242476 - 02/10/14 09:14 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
On any given night Halak or Elliot can look like the the second coming of Glen Hall or Jacques Plante. However on another night either, but especially Halak, can look like Phil Myre or Ed Staniowski. The inconsistency is what bothers me.

Griff do you REALLY trust either of these goalies to be good enough for the Note to make a deep run in the playoffs? I still don't. Even last night Halak got very lucky several times and as usual he gave up a lot of fat rebounds.

Or put another way, if you list the forwards, the defensemen and the goalies as separate groups, which would say was the strongest group and which would you say was the weakest? I would definitely say the goalies are the weakest of those three groups.

The only way we get to the Cup Finals is if Halak 1) stays healthy 2) plays solid, consistent, near lights out for the long post season, AS HE DID IN MONTREAL.

That's it. Forget about Elliott as a #1 for the answer for the long haul, ain't gonna happen.

--------------------

Happy Birthday foots
the exterminator

Loc: by my spiritual advisor, Wu

#242480 - 02/10/14 10:19 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

foots said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

I had Hull in mind when I wrote it. Still wrote it. This kid is gonna be better than Hull in about different 10 ways. And you gotta wait 15 years to prove me wrong. bwaaaaaaaa

Oh yeah, fork Hull.

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

Fork 15 years.

--------------------
I was born kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I have no problem goin out the same way.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: foots]
      #242481 - 02/10/14 11:13 AM

Both Halak and Elliott are capable of getting red hot for the playoffs, something that, over time, has proven to be much more important than the GAA in the regular season (something that both halak and Elliott are NOT lacking....they stack up fine with any goalies in the league).

We're fine......I'm sure you naysayers want to say that the second lowest team goals against in the NHL this year has nothing to do with the goalies, but you'd be so full of crap that it's not worth discussing.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#242483 - 02/10/14 11:40 AM

Fine? bwaaaaaaaaa. Is that like a 6 on a scale of 10?

Yeah and these two won the Jennings 2 years ago and what happened in the playoffs?

Halak was hurt or was it the flu and then Elliott lost his award winning edge.

So the Jennings got us 1 and done. Fork that.

The last three years have been full of great goalie play...at times.......and awards.....at times. But it's a 3 year span that has also shown poor play off goal tending for what ever reasons.

So you say this year is different. It might be....it can be.....it should be.....but that track record of theirs has to be broken. Even you can't deny that.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242487 - 02/10/14 01:53 PM

2nd best record in all of hockey.....goalies have nothing to do with it....check.

Even if goalies have something to do with it they cannot be trusted in playoffs......check.

You forkers could screw up a one car funeral.

griffin

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242488 - 02/10/14 01:53 PM

2nd best record in all of hockey.....goalies have nothing to do with it....check.

Even if goalies have something to do with it they cannot be trusted in playoffs......check.

You forkers could screw up a one car funeral.

griffin

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242489 - 02/10/14 01:54 PM

Twice.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#242493 - 02/10/14 04:18 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

3 times now.

But that's fine. bwaaaaaaa

If Jaro can avoid the flu, injuries, the sniffles, the clap and your basic mental break down we have a chance.

Lord knows, this may well be the best team he EVER suits up with. His job comes down to not forkin up.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#242499 - 02/10/14 07:17 PM

Ok ladies.. We have a break here for a couple of weeks.. at this point in the season who do you think is:
The biggest positive surprise for the Blues:
The biggest disappointment for the team:
The most talented Blues player:
The MVP of the team at this point:
The player we could least afford to lose:

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

#242502 - 02/10/14 08:47 PM

The biggest positive surprise for the Blues: Schwartz
The biggest disappointment for the team: Halak
The most talented Blues player: Tarasenko
The MVP of the team at this point: Backes
The player we could least afford to lose: Tarasenko

ok ok......just kidding on Halak. I think. Yet.

It's Stewie. I still like the guy, still waiting and waiting. But it's Stewie.

--------------------

sptsman

#242505 - 02/11/14 07:57 AM

The biggest positive surprise for the Blues: Steen
The biggest disappointment for the team: Stewart
The most talented Blues player: Tarasenko
The MVP of the team at this point: Oshie / Backes / Steen
The player we could least afford to lose: Oshie

Almost everyone of these catagories could have 2 or 3 or even 4 guys named and you could make a good arguement for each:

I picked Steen becasue he has28 goals, 7 game winners, he's +14 and he missed 10 games!! Who saw that coming? Schwartz is a good choice as well.

Tarasenko has more talent in his little finger than most have in their whole body. That guy is sick-good. I hope he gets the playing time to be the next Ovechkin. He's every bit as good. The only thing holding him back is the depth of talent on this team.

Hard to pick an MVP until the season is over. I cheated and put the top three and you could add Shatenkirk and Tarasenko to that list as well.

Oshie is quickly becoming the heart and soul of this team. I think losing him would really impact them more than anyone.

Go Blue!!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#242524 - 02/11/14 04:11 PM

I am moist with anticipation waiting on Bubba's take on this...

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#242527 - 02/11/14 06:37 PM

Ohshie , baby ,and then Gretzsky!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

sptsman

#242539 - 02/12/14 06:22 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
I am moist with anticipation waiting on Bubba's take on this...

Take it to the Sams thread please...

--------------------

last_stand

#242850 - 02/28/14 05:03 PM

It's not the loss that bugs me but recent play has been poor and losing to Dusquene?? with VCU tomorrow is NOT a good idea.

Man you gotta be playing your best about now. It's March.

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#242851 - 02/28/14 05:09 PM

hope u all iz happy now!~

bluz gotz ah goalie huh?????

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: 2014 Saint Louis Blues - Stanley Cup Champs ! [Re: fastman]
      #242854 - 02/28/14 06:05 PM

Miller is a stud! Could he be the final piece to get the Note deep in the playoffs???
Discuss amongst yourselves...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#242856 - 02/28/14 08:56 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Miller is a stud! Could he be the final piece to get the Note deep in the playoffs???
Discuss amongst yourselves...

This is one of those hockey deals that is good for both teams. If you look at raw numbers this year the Sabres got the best deal.....if you look at where the players fit within an organization, the Blues may have just wrapped up a trip to the finals.

I, for one, am not happy to see Halak or Stewart go.....but I think it's a good move for them too, because I think the organization had lost confidence in them.

I'll say this.....the trade has been made....play Miller every day....he's your guy now, live or die with him.

griffin

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1466 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 25169

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page