CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Lodging and Restaurant Forum >> Great Recipes

Pages: 1
redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Big Rock Candy Mountain

pickles
      #241747 - 01/05/14 08:45 AM

I don't know how she made em,,,,but dayum they are good Dad's darling bride brought back a homemade pickle that is killer,,,,,I'm not a fan of a sweet pickle,but she throwed a twist on these,,,,a sweet-hot pickle... I guess there are some peppers in the jar somewhere.....I better get this jar ate before the young'un gets home

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
duko™

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: east mo

Re: pickles [Re: redleg]
      #241792 - 01/06/14 01:05 PM

Get you a jar of these.

Only place I know that sells them locally is Woods Smokehouse in Bowling Green. They will make ya smack yer grandma!

duko

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Re: pickles [Re: duko™]
      #241806 - 01/06/14 03:09 PM

Looks yummy...

--------------------
A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one, you'll prolly never need one again.

halfasmuch
action hero

Loc: Upper Oakville

#241807 - 01/06/14 04:21 PM

when I saw the title,I thought it was going to be the story of your liver...

--------------------
The difference between genius and stupidity
is that genius has its limits.
-Albert Einstein

Ozark

Loc: out in the woods

#241818 - 01/06/14 05:50 PM

Don't you northern Missouri duck-pluckers know about Float Trip Pickles? They're a tradition with fishermen and campers down here around the James and White rivers that goes 'way back. My dad said they always had some in camp in the 1930's at "Hog Heaven" where the North Fork runs into the White River, and that's all under Bull Shoals Lake now, so they've been around for at least 75 years. Float Trip Pickles are even sold by that name in some of our local tourist traps.

I grow 'cukes and jalapenos in my summer garden and make my own from scratch - they're GOOD, I'm really enjoying them through this cold winter. Here's how you fix the "boughten" kind:

Buy a gallon jar of dill pickle chips, drain out and discard the pickle brine and add 3 cups of sugar to the jar. Buy a big jar of pickled jalapeno pepper rings and add as many rings as possible to the pickle jar. Fill the pickle jar with the brine the jalapenos were packed in, put the cap on, and shake the heck out of it. That's it. Float Trip Pickles are hot, sweet cucumber and jalapeno slices with a dill flavor.

These are the ones I canned last summer. I let some of my jalapenos get red-ripe and sweet-hot before I picked them.

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

Re: pickles [Re: Ozark]
      #241819 - 01/06/14 07:22 PM

Dayum those look GOOD,,,,
I'll have to give em a whirl.

--------------------

rb.

Loc: mo

#241828 - 01/07/14 11:45 AM

Wife makes dill, bread and butter and pepper rings. All dam good. We grow tons of cukes and she makes way more that we can use. the other one she makes is pickled green grape tomatoes. Try those some time.

Ozark

Re: pickles [Re: rb.]
      #241849 - 01/08/14 08:15 AM

Yeah, I pickle about anything I can think of from the garden. Green cherry tomatoes, beets, okra, peppers, carrots, cucumbers plain, dill, hot, or any combination. I don't grow cauliflower but once in awhile I'll buy one, cut it up, and pickle the pieces in a hot vegetable mix with peppers.

I especially like pickled peppers, hot and mild mixed, to put on sandwiches along with lunchmeat and cheese. And, I've always got a few jars of homemade sauerkraut working - kraut's a kind of pickle too, pickled cabbage.

rb.

#241851 - 01/08/14 08:32 AM

Ozark, you have a recipe for the kraut. I really want to make some of that.

redleg
Enzyte - one a day!

#241852 - 01/08/14 09:27 AM

Yeah what rb said,,,loves me some kraut,,

--------------------

rb.

#241855 - 01/08/14 10:26 AM

One year the wife made pickled zucchini spears and they was dam good. I love the pickled okra too.

Ozark

#241861 - 01/08/14 12:55 PM

OK. I've been making kraut out of regular green cabbage for years, but the last few batches I've made, I've followed this Ruby Kraut recipe. I think now that red cabbage has a little better flavor, and besides, it makes the kraut purty. This will make a long post, but here's how I do it, and it's real good.
--------------------------

RUBY KRAUT
Makes 4 quarts

Ingredients:

ADJUST THE AMOUNTS OF CARROTS AND SALT IN PROPORTION TO THE WEIGHT OF CABBAGE YOU ACTUALLY USE.

For the vegetables:
4 pounds red cabbage
1 pound carrots
3 tablespoons pickling or sea salt (non-iodized), or 4 tablespoons Kosher salt (grain size is bigger).

For the spices:
1 bay leaf in each wide-mouth quart canning jar
1 teaspoon black peppercorns in each jar

Optional: Many other herbs, spices, seasonings, and even vegetables can be added for different flavors. Caraway seeds, rosemary, dill, onion, garlic, beets, etc.

Method:

Shred or grate the cabbage and carrots using a food processor or hand grater. Put the shredded vegetables in a large bowl and add the salt. Mix the salt in and let things sit for a half hour. At the end of that time, mash and bruise the vegetables to work the salt in – veggies should start to go limp, the volume should be reduced, and some juice should be produced.

Put a bay leaf in the bottom of each wide-mouth quart canning jar, and fill the jars with the vegetable mix. Sprinkle the teaspoon of peppercorns throughout as each jar is filled and pack the veggies down with a spoon while filling the jars. Stop filling the jars at least 1” from the top. Sanitize a standard-size canning jar lid and lay it on top of the kraut. Put a weight on top of that to keep the kraut pressed down under the brine (a washed flat rock about 1” thick, inside a clean plastic bag works).

Put lids and bands, loosely, on the jars in a room-temperature area away from strong light and loosen the bands every couple of days to release gas. Make sure the kraut is pressed down under the brine and isn’t in contact with air. If mold grows on top, scrape it off. After a week or so, start tasting the brine for sourness – the kraut gets more sour the longer it ferments. When it’s the way you want it (usually at about 12 days), put the jars in the refrigerator to all but stop fermentation and start using out of them.

You can either cook the sauerkraut or eat it uncooked. If left uncooked, beneficial lactobacillus bacteria will stay alive, but the sauerkraut will still be rich in Vitamin C even if it’s cooked.

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#241864 - 01/08/14 01:11 PM

Quote:

Ozark said:
Yeah, I pickle about anything I can think of from the garden. Green cherry tomatoes, beets, okra, peppers, carrots, cucumbers plain, dill, hot, or any combination. I don't grow cauliflower but once in awhile I'll buy one, cut it up, and pickle the pieces in a hot vegetable mix with peppers.

I especially like pickled peppers, hot and mild mixed, to put on sandwiches along with lunchmeat and cheese. And, I've always got a few jars of homemade sauerkraut working - kraut's a kind of pickle too, pickled cabbage.

Whodathunk you were a fermentation expert??

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

Ozark

Re: pickles [Re: HAUS]
      #241867 - 01/08/14 03:58 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
Whodathunk you were a fermentation expert??

Yup, it's all fermentation - the only difference is which micro-critter gets to eat those sugar molecules first.

Beer and wine get made by keeping everything extremely sanitary in closed vessels and introducing such large amounts of live brewing or winemaking yeast cells that the products of other micro-organisms are kept below the flavor threshold.

Lacto-fermentation (kraut and pickle making) is easier because the lacto bacteria are about the only critters that will thrive where there's so much salt.

As a brewer you know how important it is to keep those two away from each other. They don't play well together, and lactobacilli will eat Saccharomyces cerevisiae's lunch if they get a chance - turning your beer into kraut juice!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#241869 - 01/08/14 07:52 PM

Quote:

Ozark said:
lactobacilli will eat Saccharomyces cerevisiae's lunch

Can I just get a flu shot?

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

rb.

Re: pickles [Re: griffin]
      #241876 - 01/09/14 07:58 AM

Thanks Ozark, that doesn't look to difficult. Griffin, you should have gotten your flu shot in October.

Ozark

Re: pickles [Re: griffin]
      #241881 - 01/09/14 09:18 AM

Sorry, griffin. All that about yeast and bacteria - I forgot for a minute that I wasn't just talking to Haus, who's a real accomplished brewer. He knows that while lactobacillus makes pickles, kraut, sour cream, yogurt, and all, it also sours and ruins beer. That's a lot better than what an e. coli contamination does, though - that's sewage bacteria that makes your beer taste like chit. The third common microbe you've gotta guard against in brewing is acetobacter, which makes vinegar. Keep all three of those little critters out of your brew, and you're good to go.

Didn't mean to confuse your brain. Let me skip the technical stuff and put it on an understandable level for you:

Ummm, beer! Beer, good!

rb.

#241882 - 01/09/14 09:27 AM

Ozark, I guess you can use green cabbage for the recipe as well right? I bet a mix would look good of red and green.

Ozark

#241884 - 01/09/14 09:34 AM

Quote:

rb. said:
Ozark, I guess you can use green cabbage for the recipe as well right? I bet a mix would look good of red and green.

That's just what I thought and tried with my last batch of kraut - that photo of the bowl is actually one head of red cabbage and one of green. My idea of mixing colors to make it purty didn't work - the red cabbage turned the brine purple, and that colors the green cabbage just like the red.

Using one head of each isn't a bad idea anyway though, since green cabbage is a little cheaper.

rb.

#241887 - 01/09/14 10:03 AM

The only thing about the recipe I can't quite picture is the rock part. If the jar is sealed with the band on and the rock is on top of the lid why is the rock needed?

HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

#241899 - 01/09/14 11:06 AM

the cabbage will float and not stay under the brine. the brine is what ferments and preserves the cabbage. without the weight, you end up with a bunch of moldy mush at the top that looks like the world's largest loogie..

been there and done it...

edit: if there are pics, i don't see them. work filters them or something, but the rock goes in the jar on top of the cabbage.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

rb.

Re: pickles [Re: HAUS]
      #241900 - 01/09/14 11:13 AM

Now I got it. The recipe language said the rock goes on top of the lid but it makes more send to be in the jar. I am for sure going to try this one.

Ozark

#241902 - 01/09/14 11:37 AM

Quote:

rb. said:
The only thing about the recipe I can't quite picture is the rock part. If the jar is sealed with the band on and the rock is on top of the lid why is the rock needed?

There are lots of ways to do it - the only important thing is to rig some way to keep the kraut UNDER the brine at all times. Like Haus says, when the cabbage is in contact with air, bad things happen.

What I was trying to say - my method is to use wide-mouth quart canning jars. You know there are wide-mouth canning jars with wide lids and bands and regular-mouth canning jars with smaller lids and bands.

I pack the jars to about an inch from the top, make sure there's some juice covering the cabbage (add a little water if necessary to get it covered). THEN lay a regular-size (small) flat jar lid on the kraut. That lid is just sitting there because it's small enough to go inside the jar. The rock in a bag, or whatever weight you use, lays on top of that.

Then screw a wide-mouth lid and band on the jar, just to keep things clean. Does that make sense now?

The old-timers used to use straight-sided ceramic crocks to make kraut. They had a round wood disk that just fit inside the crock, and they'd lay the disk on the kraut and a weight (clean rock, brick, jar of water, whatever) on top of the disk. Then they'd cover the crock with a clean cloth. It's all the same - however you do it, just keep the kraut under the brine and have something on top to keep flies and gnats out.

rb.

#241903 - 01/09/14 11:39 AM

That certainly makes sense. I did not pick up on the regular lid deal inside the jar but that would help distribute the weight of the rock more evenly. I am for sure trying this. Probably make some home made polish sausage to go with it.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 139 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  swampy 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 800

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page