CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: 2014 Play Off Bound SAINT LOUIS RAMS......... [Re: last_stand]
      #247550 - 12/29/14 08:47 AM

Welp, it is finally over. The "2014 Playoff Bound Rams" showed us yet another losing season, topped off by a pathetic performance in Seattle yesterday. That was a pretty good representation of what the Fisher-era Rams are all about. But rather than complain about 2014, let's look ahead to 2015 and evaluate how they can keep this streak of losing seasons going:

First, keep the same coaches and front office that have shown absolutely no reason to believe they will draft or acquire any offensive weapons, get mistakes and penalties under control or create an atmosphere of winning football. Apparently, the strategy is to try to shutout every team and win 3-0 and 6-0. But hey, we're told players love playing for Fish'... So we got that going for us...

Second, make sure we don't have a QB that could even be the back-up on a good team. In a QB driven league, you can't keep a record of losing seasons if you have a decent QB that can carry you through some tough games. As it stands this should be easily accomplished. They have the option on the always-injured and now permanently knee-damaged Bradford. He is set to make about $600 million dollars again so you will have to release him and resign him. The problem with that is you can lower his salary but you will have to commit to 2,3 or 4 years. If you don't someone else will. Odds are good he is no longer a Ram. That leaves you with a draft pick in a particularly weak draft for QB's and/or trying to bring in a veteran that can do the job. The problem with the free agent veteran is that there are really none available that can take you to a winning season. In short, the Rams are screwed at QB next year, barring something unexpected happening... This alone is a pretty good start on another losing season. But there's more...

Third, make sure you leave giant, gaping holes in your offensive personnel. They need at least one top-tier WR, a TE that can actually catch the balls that hit him in the hands, about 2 O-linemen and a QB. With the most shrewd free agent moves and draft picks, the odds of filling all of these gaping holes are pretty slim. And based on the 3 year history we have with this group, I'd say they will be lucky to get it right on even one of them. Drafting guys like Austin and bringing in guys like Finnegan, Britt and Long give us a pretty good idea of how they will spend their top picks and use their premium dollars for free agents.

Fourth - Keep pretending guys like Janoris Jenkins are good enough to play for you. The defense is generally strong but the secondary gets exposed at least 2-3 times a game. By keeping guys like Jenkins and letting them try to cover premier receivers, you will certainly lose more games.

Finally, make sure the owner stays away from any commitment to keep the team in STL or even give small bits of information that he would like to and is trying to make that happen. This keeps fans from being fully committed and engaged, as they wonder from season to season if they will even have a team the next year. Kroenke is doing a fine job of helping to keep this a losing organization...

And that folks, is how you can keep this team a loser for 2015.

last stand - Feel free to point out the flaws in my evaluation. I know you are the optimist but even you have to see the difficulty in being upbeat about this team for 2015. I am particularly interested in hearing you take on the offense. Is there anything positive other than the emergence of Mason? How can they possibly solve the QB problem?

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2014 Play Off Bound SAINT LOUIS RAMS......... [Re: sptsman]
      #247567 - 12/31/14 06:58 AM

I am actually going to agree whole heartedly with you on about half your points.

Clearly, you are getting smarter as you get older. bwaaaaaaaa

Gotta go but I'll get back to ya and fill you in proper on the other half later on.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 2014 Play Off Bound SAINT LOUIS RAMS......... [Re: last_stand]
      #247588 - 01/02/15 11:01 AM

I am waiting with anticipation...

The only thing I will add is this: While it seems contrary to my rant above, I do think this team needs to stick with Fisher at least a year or two more. As much I am clearly the most intelligent and knowledgeable person on this board, I can admit that Fisher probably knows a little more about football than me. A little. He may just have some plan that turns this disaster around. Clearly he is better than the last few coaches we had (sort of being the tallest midget or the smartest kid in the dumb class) and this team needs some stability. You can't switch coaches and GM's every year or two and expect success.

Here's how it can turn around. Bradford comes back and competes with a veteran QB and maybe even a rookie. Either the rookie or the veteran surprises us or Bradford stays healthy and plays up to his potential. Then they hit on a few draft picks and pick up a few FA's that can fill holes. As long as they make that O-line the #1 priority and a WR #2 they have a prayer. Not much hope of anything, if they can't build an offense that can score. Having a great defense in the NFL means holding teams to less than 15-20 points a game. What good is that if you can't score 15-20 points against good teams?

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2014 Play Off Bound SAINT LOUIS RAMS......... [Re: sptsman]
      #247594 - 01/02/15 03:27 PM

Back peddlin on Fish eh?

Saved me some time.

Lot's of stuff I wish he did different but he is good enough to keep and another coaching change right now would set this club back imo. He has 2 more years, let him stay and see if he can make the final adjustments this team needs.

Losing Bradford 2 weeks before the season started changed everything. Failing to have selected a viable future qb in last years draft compounded their troubles for them then and even worse for now. Last years choices were much better than this year. Rams have to make a move in this position because it looks like Sam is coming back with his glass knee in place.

1)Improve/draft for the OL at C and G. Sign Barksdale.

2)Sign/draft a viable qb to come in behind Bradford.

3)Fisher needs to change up a lot of ways he's been doing business. If he wants to keep Schott at the very least he needs to kick him in the azz and get a consistent offensive strategy in place that this unit will stick with. We ranked 28th in offense, seems to me more of the same won't cut it.

Get the offense going and some stronger messages from the coaching staff and yeah, I'm sticking with them next year as well. Pending what happens at QB, this team has the talent to win.

Now they need the smarts.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1642 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 3148

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page