CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)
Paul Dallas

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: the corner of Bedlam & Squalor

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: last_stand]
      #247365 - 12/04/14 09:35 PM

And I would like to revise my earlier predicted score.

After weighing and giving careful consideration to all of the aforementioned highly esteemed sports scholars (H20Dog, Last Stand, et al.), and their wealth of statistical analysis, with their ever-so sensitive fingertips resting so delicately and perceptively on the jugular pulse of regional and conferential trends, highly attenuated intuition toward fickle fanbase momentum, as well as a complete understanding of astrological signs and tea leaves and palm reading . . . I have seen the light and would like to give the Tiggers more credit.

Tide: 77
Tiggers: 9

Edited by Paul Dallas (12/04/14 09:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: Paul Dallas]
      #247368 - 12/05/14 05:37 AM

Whelp, at least you are trending the right way.

I think Bama is over rated.

I believe Mizzou is under rated.

I believe in defense over offense, and I believe Bama is going to face their toughest defense yet this year on Saturday.

I think we have a 20% chance of winning the game. Maybe even 30%.

So here's to the cats putting a complete game together this weekend. Here's to Pinkel stickin and dancin with the ones that brung him.

Cuzz that's zactly what they HAVE to do.

And here's to believing yeah they can.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#247370 - 12/05/14 08:17 AM

Mizzou really doesn't need to win this game. If they do, it will be awesome and it will be the next step in becoming a legitimate, sustained, powerhouse football program. If they don't, it is really important that they don't get blown out. Keep it within 10 points and make the game something people don't want to turn off. Then you will see a better bowl game, better recruits for next year and more respect nationally.

3 Keys to the game:
1.) Score more points than Alabama!!
2.) Score more points than Alabama!!
3.) Score more points than Alabama!!

M-I-Z ... Z-O-U

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: sptsman]
      #247380 - 12/06/14 09:26 PM

No where near ready for that game.

I won't put it on Mauk but he had to be much better than that to give us a shot.

And Rays shot was remarkably stupid. And IMO, dirty. He screwed his team, too.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#247381 - 12/07/14 08:52 AM

Agreed.

And before the Homers start blaming it on bad calls....5 Mizzou alums as referees couldn't have changed the outcome . Overmatched and overplayed .
I even wore a Mizzou sweatshirt to a sports bar to watch the game here in Ga. Prob not my smartest move.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: Bubba]
      #247382 - 12/07/14 10:33 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
Agreed.

And before the Homers start blaming it on bad calls....5 Mizzou alums as referees couldn't have changed the outcome . Overmatched and overplayed .
I even wore a Mizzou sweatshirt to a sports bar to watch the game here in Ga. Prob not my smartest move.

Is there a short list of Bubba's smart moves?

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: hucklburry]
      #247383 - 12/07/14 11:16 AM

I still think if you told MU fans before the season that they'd win 10 games and the SEC East but lose bad to Bama in the title game that they'd have taken it.

It will be interesting to see how far down the bowl list they fall..

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

fish
senior member - literally

Loc: Kingdom of Callaway

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: IIFID]
      #247384 - 12/07/14 12:16 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
I still think if you told MU fans before the season that they'd win 10 games and the SEC East but lose bad to Bama in the title game that they'd have taken it.

It will be interesting to see how far down the bowl list they fall..

The talking heads say Citrus Bowl vs Louisville or Outback Bowl vs Maryland both are New Years day bowls but we shall
see....

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: fish]
      #247385 - 12/07/14 02:37 PM

10-3 for a team picked to finish 4th in the SEC East. Didn't like the Ray targeting penalty or the no call on the fumble. Just like the first Mizzou GA game, they played 3 good quarters. Down by 8 to start the 4th is a place no one expected Mizzou to be. We couldn't run for chit, but kept trying. We didn't try the short under passes much, which shocked me. Bama front is damn tough. Their secondaries has tons of holes and backers don't cover well into coverage. We didn't exploit it more. When Mauk threw down the field he was accurate which he hasn't done most of the year.

I'll take a New Years Day bowl with The Citrus Bowl. It's worth $4+ million and the best choice available for Mizzou. Happy as a pig in mud that The Big 12-1-1-2+2 was left out. Baylor beat TCU and should have been the outright Big 12 Champ. Period. No questions. Same record & Baylor has the head to head win. Pretty simple. Big 12 got greedy and wanted 2 teams in. After it all planned out they got none. They screwed themselves. If they pick up 2 more teams and become the actual Big 12, they can fight it out in a championship game. Ohio State killed Wisconsin. They deserve to be in there as much as I hate to say it. That was way more impressive than TCU putting 50 on Iowa State.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: H2ODOG]
      #247390 - 12/07/14 03:31 PM

Mizzou to the Citrus Bowl to play Minnesodaaaaa.........time for some Big 10 payback. Best bowl available and very good for Mizzou. I still think we should have gotton a better bowl than Old Piss, but tteir win against Piss State and higher rankings all season got them a higher bowl. Great money bowl for MU. Beat down in Minnesodaaaaaa and finish the season strong with 11 wins. 23 wins in 2 years is a great run. Hell, 28 wins in last 3 seasons in the SEC is a good damn record. No one in the SEC expected Mizzou to have almost 30 wins in 3 seasons. Bet that.

--------------------

last_stand

#247393 - 12/07/14 06:33 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
10-3 for a team picked to finish 4th in the SEC East. Didn't like the Ray targeting penalty or the no call on the fumble. Just like the first Mizzou GA game, they played 3 good quarters. Down by 8 to start the 4th is a place no one expected Mizzou to be. We couldn't run for chit, but kept trying. We didn't try the short under passes much, which shocked me. Bama front is damn tough. Their secondaries has tons of holes and backers don't cover well into coverage. We didn't exploit it more. When Mauk threw down the field he was accurate which he hasn't done most of the year.

I'll take a New Years Day bowl with The Citrus Bowl. It's worth $4+ million and the best choice available for Mizzou. Happy as a pig in mud that The Big 12-1-1-2+2 was left out. Baylor beat TCU and should have been the outright Big 12 Champ. Period. No questions. Same record & Baylor has the head to head win. Pretty simple. Big 12 got greedy and wanted 2 teams in. After it all planned out they got none. They screwed themselves. If they pick up 2 more teams and become the actual Big 12, they can fight it out in a championship game. Ohio State killed Wisconsin. They deserve to be in there as much as I hate to say it. That was way more impressive than TCU putting 50 on Iowa State.

IMO only, the minute Ray went out of that game it was highly unlikely we were going to overcome.

However, having said that, the "no call", with GP in the land of OZ as it happened, killed ANY remaining chance we had.

We got beat, we couldn't run and I thought Hensons play calling was basically underwhelming. But I give Bama the credit they are due. They are the better team. But as a fan, and to whatever extend an interested fan, I firmly believe in ebbs and flow. To turn around a game. If that call went the way it should have, there's no 7 for the Tide and there's a POSSIBLE 7 for us. 14 point swing was feasible.

Yes, we lost by more than that, but that's not how I see games go. Pressure, mojo, mistakes, turns of events will impact performance both good and bad.

I am not whining, not saying we got screwed. Just saying I would have liked to see Mizzou play with the right call made.

It was a good year for the schedule given, I still think a very good transition year.

But no way is that a good ending. And I don't think losing to the #1 team is a disaster, but the Tigers were once again NOT READY when it counts the most.

I don't look for a ton of conference respect next September, and I ain't gonna b1tch about it when it doesn't happen. As tired as I am about bitchinn about lack of respect I'm more tired about not showin up for the games that can change a program for real.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#247394 - 12/08/14 12:09 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
I don't look for a ton of conference respect next September, and I ain't gonna b1tch about it when it doesn't happen. As tired as I am about bitchinn about lack of respect I'm more tired about not showin up for the games that can change a program for real.

That is going to become Pinkel's legacy, fairly or unfairly. He has taken this football program to places no reasonable fan thought it would ever see. But if he keeps getting used to mop the floor in championship games, it will become his trademark. Considering what he has accomplished, that is really unfair. But that is where we are in big time sports these days...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: sptsman]
      #247397 - 12/08/14 04:07 PM

In the last 5 years, the Tigers have selected 1 five star recruit and 11 four star recruits.

In that same time period, Bama has had 7 five star guys and 65 four star guys.

So I have no problem with the math. No problem losing to a star studded team with huge built in advantages. No problem understanding GP is a good coach at many things and even a great coach at others.

But he was genuinely disappointed with the way his team played Saturday. Not losing, but how they played. Not blaming him or any one player....it's just as a team we never rise above for the really big games.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#247398 - 12/08/14 08:02 PM

Why don't you guys line up to give Pinkel a BJ? Geez.

What was the game plan against Alabama? Anyone?

It was pretty obvious from the first drive that Saban had a plan to deal with Missouri's badass defensive ends. What did Pinkel have planned to deal with Bama's Defensive front 4? Seriously......40 something yards rushing? I'm so sick and tired of this forker running what looks like a modern version of the statue of liberty play I can't stand it.

I have been a season ticket holder, fan, and cheerleader for Missouri football for the entire Pinkel era......but this guy can't get his coaches together to come up with and manage a game plan based on an opponents strengths and weaknesses. This offense is stale....and the rest of the SEC will take note. The defense is easily defeatable by a coach with a plan.

Missouri has a chance to move to the next level.......I'm not sure Pinkel can get them there.

griffin

BTW - in case you are a betting man......I'm gonna say 'Bama 42, Mizzou 13. Mark it down.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: griffin]
      #247431 - 12/13/14 10:54 AM

Yep that Pinkel sucks so bad that he was named Coach of the Year by the SEC! What the hell are they thinking?

Congrats also to Shane Ray for being named SEC Defensive Player of the Year and Marcus Murphy for being named SEC Special teams player of the year.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#247432 - 12/13/14 11:51 AM

Pinkel will never take the program to the next level. If you are happy with where it is, and there is much to be happy about for sure, then I agree....Pinkel is the man!

But the truth is, this program has now "been there, done that".....if it can't take the next step then it may be time to move on with someone else.

One thing is for sure....Missouri is now in a position to attract/hire any coach they would want. So yeah, thanks Gary!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: griffin]
      #247434 - 12/13/14 04:16 PM

Hypothetically speaking....do you think a new defensive coordinator could make any difference?

last_stand

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: dabs]
      #247452 - 12/15/14 07:28 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Hypothetically speaking....do you think a new defensive coordinator could make any difference?

Personally, I don't get that move. But I ain't Steckel. If it's about a principle or a bucket list thing good for him. Hate to see him go for the Tigers sake.

Defense was there for the Bama game. But they can't hold the line all friggen night.

Mauk was terrrible. Not sure how else to say it. And yeah losing DGB didn't help him or the Tigers any either but there Mauk was that night hitting on the spectacular run for your life throws but unable to connect on the routine plays to keep their drives going. And when he did connect the ball was often dropped.

And Hensons run plays take twice the time to develop as any other team we face.

Offensively speaking, that game sucked.

But Henson just did not do much at all 'cept watch the world go by for 60 minutes.

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #247453 - 12/15/14 07:51 PM

I don't think it is this move he is thinking about.

Plenty of time at the DC position with no big head coaching opportunities.

He just watched Kim Anderson jump from small school head coach to a major division 1 school head coach job....maybe he is thinking the same could happen taking this path? Different sport but same career path?

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#247455 - 12/15/14 09:50 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

dabs said:

Personally, I don't get that move. But I ain't Steckel. If it's about a principle or a bucket list thing good for him. Hate to see him go for the Tigers sake.

Defense was there for the Bama game. But they can't hold the line all friggen night.

Mauk was terrrible. Not sure how else to say it. And yeah losing DGB didn't help him or the Tigers any either but there Mauk was that night hitting on the spectacular run for your life throws but unable to connect on the routine plays to keep their drives going. And when he did connect the ball was often dropped.

But Henson just did not do much at all 'cept watch the world go by for 60 minutes.

Sooooooooo......let me see if I get this straight.........the O Coordinator was never really in the game and was AWOL for 60 minutes........while the run plays take twice as long as other teams to develop..........and when Mauk connected on the short throws, the receivers dropped the ball......yet its Mauk's fault they lost the game. Seriously.....which is it. When you run for a total of 42 yards in the game, and the O coordinator is flipping coins or pulling plays randomly from his hat, you can't blame that crap on the QB. Same for dropping 50-11 passes. He throws em, but he can't go catch them every play. In Bama's 13 games only 4 QB's threw for 270+ yards against the Bama D. Mauk was one of them. I don't put that loss on Mauk. It goes on Pinkle and Henson. Henson sucks. He doesn't understand basic football. Pinkle didn't prepare his team. Steck's D was great, as always. Mauk did what he needed to do to keep the game close. Our RB's were aweful in that game.

Mauk threw for 272 yards. That's more than Blake Simms in that game.....and lord know Gary and Verne sucked him off all night long on his throws and yardage and passing ability. Mauk didn't have his best game, but he sure didn't have a bad game against one of the best D's in the country. Mizzou didn't start a single drive outside of the 30 yard line. Most of them started INSIDE the 20. When you are pinned back to begin with, it makes it that much tougher to do something. Especially when you can't run the damn ball and Bama knows you are going to be passing.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: MIZZOU Football Fans [Re: dabs]
      #247456 - 12/15/14 09:56 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
I don't think it is this move he is thinking about.

Plenty of time at the DC position with no big head coaching opportunities.

He just watched Kim Anderson jump from small school head coach to a major division 1 school head coach job....maybe he is thinking the same could happen taking this path? Different sport but same career path?

Hell......even Dabs gets it. If you don't take a head coaching position, you will always be a D coordinator. Anyone like Steck wants to excel and be the best at what he does. That means head coaching. He takes a step down to FCS, but do well there and that translates to good things at the next level. He's been at Mizzou for 14 years and I don't remember anyone offering him a job as a head coach over the last 14 years, even with his success. I wish him the best. He knows how to coach the D and relates to the players. I'm sure he will do well and will get a chance to take over a good program at the FBS level if he wants it.

--------------------

last_stand

#247458 - 12/16/14 05:41 AM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

dabs said:

Sooooooooo......let me see if I get this straight.........the O Coordinator was never really in the game and was AWOL for 60 minutes........while the run plays take twice as long as other teams to develop..........and when Mauk connected on the short throws, the receivers dropped the ball......yet its Mauk's fault they lost the game. Seriously.....which is it. When you run for a total of 42 yards in the game, and the O coordinator is flipping coins or pulling plays randomly from his hat, you can't blame that crap on the QB. Same for dropping 50-11 passes. He throws em, but he can't go catch them every play. In Bama's 13 games only 4 QB's threw for 270+ yards against the Bama D. Mauk was one of them. I don't put that loss on Mauk. It goes on Pinkle and Henson. Henson sucks. He doesn't understand basic football. Pinkle didn't prepare his team. Steck's D was great, as always. Mauk did what he needed to do to keep the game close. Our RB's were aweful in that game.

Mauk threw for 272 yards. That's more than Blake Simms in that game.....and lord know Gary and Verne sucked him off all night long on his throws and yardage and passing ability. Mauk didn't have his best game, but he sure didn't have a bad game against one of the best D's in the country. Mizzou didn't start a single drive outside of the 30 yard line. Most of them started INSIDE the 20. When you are pinned back to begin with, it makes it that much tougher to do something. Especially when you can't run the damn ball and Bama knows you are going to be passing.

I didn't put any loss on Mauk. I put a bad game on Mauk.

I gave him credit for the 3 big run for your life plays to Hunt. I acknowledged some dropped passes. I acknowledged Henson part as well.

As for what he didn't do, take the THREE long ones away and Mauk was 13 for 31 with 120 yards. He was off without pressure and he was off with pressure. And that's what I'm talkin about. He was off. When the run game wasn't on. We couldn't get anything going and Bama had the ball 60% of the time.

You can say he wasn't great. You can say the loss wasn't his fault. Say what you want. I say he had a bad game when we could least afford it and for me any way there ain't enough lipstick behind the counter to change that pig.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#247459 - 12/16/14 08:19 AM

When reciever are dropping balls it's tough to find rhythm. The quick slants and outs were there when we threw them.........but Henson failed to stay with those throws. Yes Mauk missed some throws, but it's not all on him. 42 yards on the ground..........42 total yards for an All-American all purpose player Marcus Murphy. He had 20 yards of rushing and his 1000 yard rushing partner who rushed for 21 yards in that game.

I didn't realize when a QB scrambles and makes plays on the run that its now a bad thing. Had Mizzou won, you would be saying Mauk scrambled for his life and made huge key plays when he needed to, keeping drives alive. He scrambled and made some big plays. That's what he is supposed to do. 5 dropped passes in the first half alone. When Mizzou had the ball on the 1 yard line in the second half, White dropped a pass, Murphy couldn't manage a a 1 yard run, and Henson couldn't dial up a play like rolling out Mauk to get a TD.........but let's put the blame on the QB. Mauk might not have played his best game, but the loss isn't on him with a terrible game.

Dropped balls for first downs, dropped balls for TD's, dropped balls that ended drives, 2-3 more dropped balls in the second half, no run game at all, and poor play calling all game long leads you to the loss. Had those recievers caught those passes, Mauk goes 25 of 34, for 350+, yards 2 TD's, no interceptions. Those are stats that you think damn, how did we lose? 8-9 dropped passes and no run game killed Mizzou. Not doing what Bama did with quick 5 yard passes killed us. Mauk threw for more yards than he has in ANY SEC game this season against the best D in the country........and you think he had a terrible game because folks couldn't catch the damn ball?? You can't make this chit up.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247460 - 12/16/14 08:24 AM

I don't think Mauck was off - I think he was Mauck being Mauck. His stats show that he hasn't had an acceptable completion % for the last two years and I doubt that will ever change. Dog likes stats and has said that stats tell the story. Well here are MM's stats:
Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
*2013 68 133 51.1 1071 8.1 9.0 11 2 143.1
2014 209 395 52.9 2551 6.5 6.4 23 11 120.8

Take in to consideration that some of those stats are padded with the Murray States and Arkansas States on their schedule. He has averaged 52.5% completion rate in over 500 attempts. I don't think that is an acceptable rate for a supposed premium level QB in NCAA Div. 1. You can make all kinds of excuses (poor O-Line, receiver drops, O-coordinator sucks, etc.) but really good QB's will have better numbers. I think he regressed in his second year. I hope that trend doesn't continue!

--------------------

last_stand

#247463 - 12/16/14 12:34 PM

You acknowledged he didn't have a good game dog.

I said he had a bad one.

EITHER way he was one of the problems that night. I'm done arguing about to what degree.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 724 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 12550

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page