CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: last_stand]
      #248340 - 03/29/15 06:27 PM

Common ground.... it IS time for this team. I think this team can match up against anyone in a series. With 4 viable lines and 3 legit defensive pairings this team can adjust better than any the Blues have ever put on the ice. A series against the same team actual favors them in my opinion.

I will have at least one set of tickets for every round they make. Man, I'd LOVE to see the Note in a Stanley Cup final again!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: griffin]
      #248341 - 03/30/15 08:39 AM

Sorry Griffin, you can call me a "Doubting Thomas" but this team seems to be the latest version of what I've seen in seasons before. I do not think they are playing even close to their best hockey of the season. They seem to me to be wobbling toward the finish while other teams in the West are ramping it up. Do they have the talent? Absolutely! But talent isn't the only thing you need to grind through the playoffs. I sincerely hope I am wrong, and would love to seem them make it to (and win!) the Cup but I don't see it happening. They still are careless and cute with the puck too often and they still give up an inordinate amount of odd man rushes.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: IIFID]
      #248343 - 03/30/15 09:12 PM

Umm Griffy misgivings are growing stronger after that mess...

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#248347 - 03/31/15 07:47 AM

They looked HORRIBLE.....geez.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248349 - 03/31/15 08:42 AM

Melrose said on Sportscenter that the Blues gave up as many odd man rushes last night as he usually sees them give up in a weeks worth of games.

Sure looks to me that they are stumbling and bumbling toward the finish. Unfortunately it is starting more and more to remind me of last year when they closed at 3 -7 over their last 10..

--------------------

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#248356 - 03/31/15 08:20 PM

The last 3 post seasons this team has basically tightened up down the stretch and become a bunch of individuals.

Season 4 seems familiar.

Mediocre goal tending.

We can't score in the first period.

When we do score, we get doubled down by the other team almost immediately.

The odd man rushes are a sure sign of dumb individual and selfish or straight up lazy play.

I mean everybody floated last night. Well, aside Reaves and Ott.

If they don't get back to a team game and get their hands dirty it's over. There's still time to turn it around. I'd make the changes and play guys MORE who know there role and if nothing else work hard at it like Porter, Bortuzzo, Ott, new guy Michalek, Reaves. AND SIT SOME PEOPLE. It may not be enough by itself but Hitchcock needs to change his way of business if he wants to change this teams mindset in the next 2 weeks.

I've said all season I ain't falling hard for this team again. It's there for them if they want it, but these knuckleheads have to first get past themselves and their own damn demons.

If Senko is not out more than a few games and Steener gets back on the ice I still like their chances. Stop the shots, put up some W's and end the forkin nonsense that's going on out there lately.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

last_stand

#248362 - 04/01/15 12:35 PM

I got news for Oshie and who ever else wants to change horses in the middle of the stream and win another way.

It's too friggen late.

Like it or not, play the system you got and win. It's their only chance.

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/story/s...n-builds-033115

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#248368 - 04/01/15 05:30 PM

Y'all gone need some family counseling soon...

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#248369 - 04/01/15 08:16 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
I got news for Oshie and who ever else wants to change horses in the middle of the stream and win another way.

It's too friggen late.

Like it or not, play the system you got and win. It's their only chance.

http://www.foxsports.com/midwest/story/s...n-builds-033115

Funny.....I talked to someone today who should be "in the know".......he says Oshie is a problem on the team and is constantly at odds with Hitchcock and vocal about it.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248370 - 04/01/15 09:11 PM

Are you sure its not Hitchcock? His Blues playoff record is 8 - 13. In his last 12 seasons as an NHL coach his playoff record is 27 - 35.. Just sayin'..

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#248372 - 04/02/15 07:19 AM

Hitchcock's name is on the Stanley Cup. Just saying.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248378 - 04/02/15 10:09 AM

Once - in 1999 - sixteen years ago. One Stanley Cup in 19 years of coaching in the NHL. Obviously he's a genius then. So going by that idea it means that he gets to use that one Stanley Cup for the rest of his coaching career no matter what has happened? So I guess that offsets the 6 seasons that his teams didn't even make the playoffs? Or the five times that his teams did make it to the playoffs only to lose in the first round - including the last two seasons here? How about that fact that in the last nine years of coaching that his teams have made it out of the first round ONCE? Oh yeah that's OK too because his name is on the Stanley Cup.
It's all the players fault. I see that now. Got It! Thanks for the clarification!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#248379 - 04/02/15 11:26 AM

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

Dude.....really? We're going to put Hitchcock's record up against the players on the Blues and just call it Hitchcock's fault if they don't do well?

Here....you need to read up.

http://blues.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=74828

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248386 - 04/02/15 01:59 PM

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

Dude.....really? If they don't make it out of the first round you're going to say it's all the players fault, Hitchcock isn't responsible, considering what HIS record with other teams and other players has been LATELY.

I am not saying if they fail (and not getting deeper in the playoffs is a failure) is solely his fault and that the players aren't culpable as well. But just because the guy once coached a team that one the Cup a long time ago doesn't make it all the players fault either.. If that's the case then you shouldn't have criticized Keenan while he was here because he had coached a team to the Cup too..

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#248387 - 04/02/15 02:06 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!!!

Dude.....really? If they don't make it out of the first round you're going to say it's all the players fault, Hitchcock isn't responsible, considering what HIS record with other teams and other players has been LATELY.

I am not saying if they fail (and not getting deeper in the playoffs is a failure) is solely his fault and that the players aren't culpable as well. But just because the guy once coached a team that one the Cup a long time ago doesn't make it all the players fault either.. If that's the case then you shouldn't have criticized Keenan while he was here because he had coached a team to the Cup too..

Have you actually looked at Hitchcock's coaching resume? You think my point was just about his cup win (well, in fairness, he does have 1 more than just about any current member of the Blues....but I digress).

Hitchcock's system is solid and proven. For chrissakes, his overall NHL record over 16 seasons would have his teams averaging 100 points per season.

Look, I don't know how close you follow hockey.....but this wouldn't be the first group of players that clashed with Hitchcock. He wants things done his way.

If the players buy into his system and lose then hell yeah, blame the coach. BUT....if they don't buy into it and fight it, you can't blame the guy with the 7th most coaching wins in the history of the NHL. It just doesn't work that way.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248391 - 04/02/15 03:15 PM

Griff,
Obviously I am not the savant you are in regards to hockey but yes I do pay attention.

I'm sorry but I thought we were talking about winning in the playoffs. You know the thing the Blues haven't been able to do for so long? My bad! You're right. Hitchcock has been behind the bench for a lot of regular season wins. His winning % during the regular season is around .600 which is pretty impressive.
But his winning % in the playoffs is closer to .520. That's a pretty big difference in my opinion. And if you take away the TWO seasons in Dallas where they won the Cup one year and the conference the other in back to back years and where he went 30 - 16 in the playoffs - well then his playoff record is 44 - 52 or .458.

Silly me! I was thinking Blues fans were looking for some playoff success. But if you really want a team that does really well in the regular season and fizzles in the playoffs it does appear he's your man!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248400 - 04/02/15 08:39 PM

I don't know if it was the level of competition but that was the best I think they've looked in three weeks.

--------------------

last_stand

#248406 - 04/03/15 12:57 PM

I have my own complaints about Hitchcock but this deal where the monkeys get to run the zoo is not viable.

The "core", or some semblance of that group, ran Murray and Payne out of here with their whining. My guess is Oshie just found out Hitch is fully aware of how to counter play that game too.

The team is supposedly built by Hitchcock and his GOOD FRIEND Doug Armstrong to run this puck possession system. It's physically demanding and it has to be "on" 100% of the time to get the right result against bigger teams and more skilled teams.

You gotta be something in this league to win. This is what we are. I haven't a frigging clue what "information overload" means but Oshie & Co want to know what a round 2 looks like they need to drop it and go play the team game this system demands.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248412 - 04/04/15 08:53 AM

WOW! Talk about right down to the wire in the Central! The Blues, Preds and Hawks have all played 78 games and have four left. After last night the Blues and Preds each have 103 points and the Hawks have 102. Here are their schedules:
Blues: at Chi, H to Winni, H to Chi, H to MN
Preds: H to Dal, at CO, H to MN, at Dal
Hawks: H to Blues, H to MN, at Blues, at CO

So who wins the Central? Really hard to even guess. Back in Janaury I predicted the Blues were and I'm sticking to it!
Speaking of those predictions:
It looks like the Blues will end with more than 105 points.
It does not look like Tarasenko will score 40 goals or have 80 points.
It does not look like Schwartz will score 30 goals or have 80 points.
Elliot will not have the best GAA in the NHL as he stands at 8th in the league. BTW his save % has slipped to .916 which doesn't even put him in the Top 10.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248413 - 04/04/15 08:57 AM

BTW what the hell was that last night??? The two teams combined to score 4 goals in 49 seconds? WTF?
Weird game but a good comeback by the Note to get the two points.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248414 - 04/04/15 11:03 AM

BTW Cool and kind of sad at the same time - I saw this article this morning about Schwartz and last nights game:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/blue...eath/ar-AAaqg4k

--------------------

last_stand

#248416 - 04/04/15 05:20 PM

He is all business on the ice.

Pound for pound perhaps the most valuable player we have seen in the note's colors. Certainly in many moons. I am concerned if he can take the punishment year after year.

I'm not worked up about finishing in first place. We won't know the best place to end up until we win round two. It's really not about who we play, it's about HOW we play.

And home ice? Have you noticed that stat lately?

Allen in goal for Sundays game in Chi Town. Hitch is walking the line here. If I have a biatch about Hitch, it's his goalie management. Not sure what he's now doing, but imo he needs to get Ell's right to start the playoffs.

Go Blue Baby! Go BLUE!

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#248421 - 04/05/15 06:21 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Hitchcock has been behind the bench for a lot of regular season wins. His winning % during the regular season is around .600 which is pretty impressive.
But his winning % in the playoffs is closer to .520. That's a pretty big difference in my opinion. And if you take away the TWO seasons in Dallas where they won the Cup one year and the conference the other in back to back years and where he went 30 - 16 in the playoffs - well then his playoff record is 44 - 52 or .458.

But you can't take away the 2 seasons in Dallas because they are part of his body of work. Did you take away his two worst seasons and see how it looks? This reminds me of the fans that tell me a losing pitcher was great. They say things like, "If you take away the two homeruns, he pitched a great game and would have gotten the win..." When evaluating a player, coach, GM or whatever, you have to take the whole body of work. You would find darn few knowledgeable hockey people that would argue that Hitchcock is anything other than a darn fine Head Coach.

No coach as ever won a Super Bowl, World Series, Stanley Cup or any championship without some of his hometown fans thinking he is a complete idiot... Heck, LaRussa was called a moron by half of the fan base in STL.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: sptsman]
      #248422 - 04/05/15 04:45 PM

Wow winning a Cup then is like winning the lottery. Do it once (like 16 years ago) and it certifies you as a genius forever. Great gig if you can get one.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#248424 - 04/05/15 08:25 PM

That looked like playoff hockey!
Griff can we call that a statement game?
Hitch rolled the dice on Allen and it came out really well.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17725

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page