CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: griffin]
      #247759 - 01/22/15 09:49 AM

Quote:

griffin said: ...if you subtracted from both Tarasenko and Schwartz's total points the goals that each assisted each other...

If my grandmother had balls... Being injury prone is not a great attribute for being an MVP either. Not only is Tarasenko better, he can stay on the ice...

But I will surrender. I thought I had a good argument going then you just blew me out of the water with one number, 38. Had I known Schwartz was #38 on the points total, I would have never said a word. Wow, #38 is great. What is Tarasenko on that list, #9 or something? What a joke. Starting to wonder why they even keep him...

Again, you won this one, hands down...

Boy, do I feel stupid. I never saw that #38 stat coming. It just hit me like a Mack truck...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: sptsman]
      #247763 - 01/22/15 11:54 AM

You do realize there are over 800 players with at least one point this season, 38th is top tier......and surely you also realize that both Schwartz and Tarasenko are averaging a point a game, right? (Tarasenko 1.02 and Schgwartz .95 ppg)

Again, Tarasenko needs Schwartz, not the other way around. Schwartz elevates everyone's game, no matter who he plays with. Not so for Tarasenko....no matter how good his hands are.

Try to keep up......K?

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: last_stand]
      #247767 - 01/22/15 05:34 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Alls I know is griffin says it's not Elliott.

There really is no need to bring up the goalie with the best GAA in hockey and 4th best in save percentage......and just named to the All-Star team.

Man, I miss Miller.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#247779 - 01/23/15 07:52 AM

Do you think the style of hockey this team is playing can translate into success in the playoff?? I'm not sure. Playoff hockey games seldom resemble regular season open style hockey. The Blues are skilled but not like the Oilers of the 80's. Playoff hockey is a lot more physical and is more of a grind it out kind of game. Referees swallow whistles as well. I don't know if this team is ohysical enough.
Thoughts?

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: IIFID]
      #247783 - 01/23/15 10:08 AM

In short, YES!!

This team is actually playing a sort of playoff style hockey now. Their forechecking and offensive pressure is very much like what you see in successful playoff hockey. They're winning the battles along the boards and in the corners and they have tremendous puck control, especially in the offensive zone. Most importantly, they have the strength and skill level to compete with Chicago, LA, Nashville, San Jose, Anaheim, etc...

Here are the concerns for the playoffs. The first is just luck of the draw... They play in the Western Conference. I think the team that comes out of the West is going to have a harder road than the team from the East. Second, is goaltending. No team wins the Cup without very good or even great netminding. Elliot is a very good goaltender but has not produced in the playoffs. In fact he has flopped in past playoffs. Let's hope he has matured and grown. He has the skills and shows us now he's darn good. But Miller and Halak were very good in the regular seasons too. I am confident he will rise to the task. He's a pretty solid guy, from what we can see. Third is injuries. Last year the Blues limped into the playoffs with several top players not nearly at 100%. They need to stay healthy. I wouldn't even mind seeing a few mysterious "upper body" injuries that give some of the guys a few games off in the last 10-20 games of the season. Fourth is the mind game. This team needs to think like a winner and play like a winner. Going up against Chicago and LA can be very intimidating and the Blues folded like a cheap tent last year. They need to learn how to get up and keep their foot on the throat of the opponent.

I have not seen a Blues team with this good of a chance at the cup in over 20 years.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247784 - 01/23/15 10:11 AM

Griffin?
Bubba?

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247785 - 01/23/15 10:14 AM

I still see a lot of turnovers in their own end and in the neutral zone. They have cut them down in the last month but still give up a lot of odd man rushes. Playoff games usually end up 2 -1 or 3-2 and mistakes can kill you in those situations.
And it could be too many years of me thinking "This is the year!" only to watch them go down in flames..

--------------------

sptsman

#247787 - 01/23/15 10:24 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
...and surely you also realize that both Schwartz and Tarasenko are averaging a point a game, right? (Tarasenko 1.02 and Schgwartz .95 ppg)

Again, I concede. You just keep blowing me out of the water with these stats. First I have to concede that any sane person would want he guy that is 38th in points over the guy that is 9th. As if that wasn't enough humiliation, I now have to admit that a guy scoring 1.02 points per game is clearly inferior to the guy scoring .95 ppg. Oh the humiliation!!

Maybe you should just stop posting stats. I can't take it any more...

Quote:

griffin said:Again, Tarasenko needs Schwartz, not the other way around. Schwartz elevates everyone's game, no matter who he plays with. Not so for Tarasenko....no matter how good his hands are.

OK, just so I am clear in my concession speech... As long as Schwartz is on the ice and skating really hard, most players in Tarasenko's position would have the same or similar success. And without Schwartz on the ice, skating really hard all the time, Tarasenko is just another average player? Or as you put it, Tarasenko needs Schwartz but Schwartz does not need Tarasenko. I think I got it now...

Please tell me you're just trolling...

--------------------

sptsman

#247788 - 01/23/15 10:41 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
And it could be too many years of me thinking "This is the year!" only to watch them go down in flames..

It's called being a Blues fan. Get used to it...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#247792 - 01/23/15 11:22 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
...and surely you also realize that both Schwartz and Tarasenko are averaging a point a game, right? (Tarasenko 1.02 and Schgwartz .95 ppg)

Again, I concede. You just keep blowing me out of the water with these stats. First I have to concede that any sane person would want he guy that is 38th in points over the guy that is 9th. As if that wasn't enough humiliation, I now have to admit that a guy scoring 1.02 points per game is clearly inferior to the guy scoring .95 ppg. Oh the humiliation!!

Maybe you should just stop posting stats. I can't take it any more...

Quote:

griffin said:Again, Tarasenko needs Schwartz, not the other way around. Schwartz elevates everyone's game, no matter who he plays with. Not so for Tarasenko....no matter how good his hands are.

OK, just so I am clear in my concession speech... As long as Schwartz is on the ice and skating really hard, most players in Tarasenko's position would have the same or similar success. And without Schwartz on the ice, skating really hard all the time, Tarasenko is just another average player? Or as you put it, Tarasenko needs Schwartz but Schwartz does not need Tarasenko. I think I got it now...

Please tell me you're just trolling...

Schwartz makes everyone on the ice better.....Tarasenko doesn't have that ability. Schwartz HANDS DOWN over Tarasenko for MVP.....you might be able to make a case for Shattenkirk.....but no way for Tarasenko. He's got great hands and a great shot....a pure goal scorer. But not the most valuable player to THIS team. In fact, he hasn't really done chit that last 7-10 games.......the Blues don't have to have a scoring Tarasenko to win. We've already seen what happens when Schwartz is out of the lineup.

On another note, genius, if you take Schwartz ppg avg. over 46 games like Tarasenko has and he is 16th in the league.....you might want to look who is in the top 20 before you start trying to make your next case that top 20 doesn't make you team MVP material.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247794 - 01/23/15 01:11 PM

Here's a little sumptin sumptin for bofus of you crackers:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/schw...ists/ar-AA8uhM2

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#247795 - 01/23/15 01:44 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Here's a little sumptin sumptin for bofus of you crackers:
http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nhl/schw...ists/ar-AA8uhM2

I don't need to see that.......but make sure the south half of dumb and dumber gets a look.

griffin

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#247799 - 01/23/15 02:07 PM

Free Tarasenko!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#247810 - 01/24/15 09:10 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Do you think the style of hockey this team is playing can translate into success in the playoff?? I'm not sure. Playoff hockey games seldom resemble regular season open style hockey. The Blues are skilled but not like the Oilers of the 80's. Playoff hockey is a lot more physical and is more of a grind it out kind of game. Referees swallow whistles as well. I don't know if this team is ohysical enough.
Thoughts?

While ya'll are all busy giving out awards at mid season, not even mid season since the REAL SEASON is 2 plus months away, let's take a look at the last 10 games played.

We are 7-3. Great. Woohoo.

Only problem is the 3 losses came against the Ducks, the Preds and the Wings.

Uhhhhhhh.....the good teams. The type of teams you have to beat from the git go in this playoff format.

I do think Schwartz, Lehtera and Teresenko have added a huge missing ingredient for playoff success that this team has sorely needed. If Hitchcock doesn't fork this thing up I think the offense is good enough to win post season. And I think these 3 guys have forced Hitch to change up his puck control system a little bit too.

That leaves goal tending and defense as to how deep we can go, imo.

griffin says Elliotts gold. We'll see. If he is, one huge hurdle jumped.

As for this D being ready in play offs? I don't see it good enough or tough enough to go deep. If the team makes a big move before the deadline, I think it's going to be on the blue line. And it better not be for another quick stick. We need some beef.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: last_stand]
      #247811 - 01/24/15 09:32 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

IIFID said:
Thoughts?

While ya'll are all busy giving out awards at mid season, not even mid season since the REAL SEASON is 2 plus months away, let's take a look at the last 10 games played.

We are 7-3. Great. Woohoo.

Only problem is the 3 losses came against the Ducks, the Preds and the Wings.

Uhhhhhhh.....the good teams. The type of teams you have to beat from the git go in this playoff format.

I do think Schwartz, Lehtera and Teresenko have added a huge missing ingredient for playoff success that this team has sorely needed. If Hitchcock doesn't fork this thing up I think the offense is good enough to win post season. And I think these 3 guys have forced Hitch to change up his puck control system a little bit too.

That leaves goal tending and defense as to how deep we can go, imo.

griffin says Elliotts gold. We'll see. If he is, one huge hurdle jumped.

As for this D being ready in play offs? I don't see it good enough or tough enough to go deep. If the team makes a big move before the deadline, I think it's going to be on the blue line. And it better not be for another quick stick. We need some beef.

Dude.....you must have gotten a good nights sleep....there is some decent sense in that. I think Jackman has lost a step.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247812 - 01/24/15 09:37 PM

I don't know if it's the defensemens fault or the wingers for not rotating but our offensive minded defensemen get caught too deep in the zone a lot leading to odd man rushes for their opponents. We really don't have an enforcer type defenseman either.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247827 - 01/27/15 03:29 PM

OK Whatever the All Star game has become is now over. Second season starts for the Note on Thursday versus the Preds. In reality less than 50% of the season remains. So time to put on your NHLstradamus hats:

Do the Blues win the Central?
Do the Blues end up with more than 105 points?
Does Tarasenko score 40 goals and/ or 80 points?
Does Scwartz score 30 goals and/ or 80 points?
Which of the two above is more likely?
Does Elliott end up with the best GAA in the league?
Discuss..

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#247828 - 01/27/15 05:07 PM

No
Yes
No
Yes
Schwartz
Yes

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247829 - 01/27/15 05:15 PM

How unusual for you to make predictions before things happen..

Do the Blues win the Central? YES
Do the Blues end up with more than 105 points? YES
Does Tarasenko score 40 goals and/ or 80 points? Points yes, goals no
Does Schwartz score 30 goals and/ or 80 points? Same as Tarasenko
Which of the two above is more likely? Agreed on Schwartz
Does Elliott end up with the best GAA in the league? NO

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

#247830 - 01/27/15 05:26 PM

No
Maybe
Perhaps
Indeed
Elliot
Why not

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

sptsman

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: Bubba]
      #247831 - 01/28/15 09:02 AM

Quote:

Bubba said:
No
Maybe
Perhaps
Indeed
Elliot
Why not

See, Schwartz even makes Bubba better...

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #247837 - 01/28/15 01:39 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

Bubba said:
No
Maybe
Perhaps
Indeed
Elliot
Why not

See, Schwartz even makes Bubba better...

Schwartz or sharts?????

Cause I have actually been around him after a couple of sharts......they don't help one damn bit!!!

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: dabs]
      #247838 - 01/28/15 06:29 PM

dabs , please stay off our thread. This is all hockey all the time.

The Royals thread will start in a few months.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Re: 2014-2015 Saint Louis Blues [Re: Bubba]
      #247843 - 01/30/15 09:00 AM

The Blues gave away a point last night in my opinion. I really think they were out-played in the third third pretty thoroughly. Way too many giveaways in their own zone. A game like that will cost them dearly in the playoffs.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#247844 - 01/30/15 09:04 AM

And for those keeping score at home - a goal for Schwartz (How did he miss that chance in OT??) and an assist for Tarasenko..

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 247 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17725

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page