CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: sptsman]
      #252363 - 04/20/16 01:43 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
I just wish we had a playoff goalie.

Elliott is playing fine this year. Not sure why you would want someone else

HE HAS BEEN FINE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS NEVER A GOALIE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the exclamation marks you can muster will not rewrite history. He has either been hurt, benched or had some stinker games (along wit some good games) in previous playoffs. He has never played this well, this consistently. Do you honestly think Armstrong and Hitchcock would have gone looking for a playoff goalie (Miller) had Elliott been "fine"? They saw what everyone else saw. That is a good netminder that couldn't put it all together for the playoffs. Pretend otherwise all you want and put all the exclamation marks you want. The reality is Elliott has been suspect as a playoff goalie for the past 4 years (one of those with Ottawa where he went 1-2 with a .855 save %).

How about we just be glad he's figured it out and is playing so well? No need to pretend he was just a misunderstood Patrick Roy, waiting to be noticed by everyone but you...

Go Elliott!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Blues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Blues have mismanaged Elliott far more than has Elliott been "suspect" as a playoff goalie.

I'm the first to say he has been on and off over his time with us. Some due to injury, some his mechanics, some his head. Most all of it doing himself no favors.

But he played more than well enough for the series with the Sharks in '11, he played dam well for the series against the Kings in '12.

He had a bad series against the Kings in '11.

That is his playoff track record as a Blue. BUT Army and Hitch screwed up big time with pushing him off for Miller and then again last year going gaga over the rookie Allen and once again ignoring Elliott by never giving him a true shot to be number 1 during the moth of March.

I'm pretty sure this is the first time ever Brian Elliott has been awarded (by choice) the number 1 playoff role as our goal tender. And I insist that decision was taken out of their hands with Allen going down in March.

The Blues have forked this position up for as long as I can remember. We are lucky Elliott didn't tell this franchise to fork off a number of times.

We are 4 games into a potential marathon. Right now, so far, Elliott is the man. Hands down. And damm near no thanks to either Hitch or Army.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: last_stand]
      #252365 - 04/20/16 02:28 PM

Had to listen to the Chicago feed through Sirus on the radio the last two games, surely the best of the year for the good guys. The announcers were total clowns, and none too happy. bwaaaaaaaaaa

Hawks have been down 3-1 many times only to come back and make a go of it, winning some too.

Here's to a home ice win Thursday. Get 'er done boys!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#252366 - 04/20/16 03:14 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
I just wish we had a playoff goalie.

Elliott is playing fine this year. Not sure why you would want someone else

HE HAS BEEN FINE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WAS NEVER A GOALIE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All the exclamation marks you can muster will not rewrite history. He has either been hurt, benched or had some stinker games (along wit some good games) in previous playoffs. He has never played this well, this consistently. Do you honestly think Armstrong and Hitchcock would have gone looking for a playoff goalie (Miller) had Elliott been "fine"? They saw what everyone else saw. That is a good netminder that couldn't put it all together for the playoffs. Pretend otherwise all you want and put all the exclamation marks you want. The reality is Elliott has been suspect as a playoff goalie for the past 4 years (one of those with Ottawa where he went 1-2 with a .855 save %).

How about we just be glad he's figured it out and is playing so well? No need to pretend he was just a misunderstood Patrick Roy, waiting to be noticed by everyone but you...

Go Elliott!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Blues !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You bonehead.....this is the same Brian Elliott the Blues have always had. The team in front of him is much better, but he's the same guy.

LS is a Johnny-come-lately to Elliott' side, but read his post.....he got it right.

I hate to say it, but I cheered when Allen went down and took the playoff goalie picture out of the hands of Armstrong and Hitchcock.....BECAUSE THEY GOT IT WRONG EVERY YEAR.

When can agree on the "go Blues" sentiment......but you have been forked up about the goaltending situation in the last 5 years from the get go and you still are......even in the face of overwhelming evidence against you.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

DADAKOTA

Loc: Missouri West Side

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: griffin]
      #252367 - 04/20/16 10:41 PM

How many former Blues goalies are in the playoffs?

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#252370 - 04/21/16 06:28 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
....even in the face of overwhelming evidence against you.

griffin

Holy chit!!! The one thing you have against your silly, revisionist position is the evidence and the facts!!! You're opinion is your opinion and obviously you and ls value it greatly. Fine. But you ignore the FACTS!!!! He may have been mismanaged, mistreated, misunderstood, misplaced or whatever. But prior to this year he was a good regular season goalie with some injuries and bad games in the limited playoff experience he had. Those are the FACTS (i.e. evidence)!!! If you built a top tier team that you thought could get to the finals and all you had was a goalie that had shown what Elliott had shown, you would be a piss poor GM, if you didn't try to solidify that position. And that's what they did with the Miller deal. While we're all brilliant know-it-all's a year or two or three later, GM's only have the facts in front of them to work with. They don't get the benefit of hindsight and second guessing like you provide. The Miller deal was clearly a bust and odds are very good Elliott would have provided a better performance. But that's hindsight. At the time, the facts and evidence supported DA's move and most sensible fans understood it.

I'm an on Elliott's bandwagon now because he's a good dude and has worked his arse off to be one of the the best goalies in the NHL. He has tweaked his game and it shows in his performances. If you claim he is the same goalie now that he was in past years, you're simply full of chit and just like to stir the pot (which is completely unacceptable on this forum).

Now, STFU and pay attention. I'll be giving analysis and you and ls can learn a lot from from it.

BTW, Backes appears to have figured it out as well. I suppose you're going to tell me he's always been this good in the last three years of playoffs too...

Go Elliott!!!!!

Go Backes!!!!!!!

Go Blues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252371 - 04/21/16 08:53 AM

Andy......here are the facts regarding the last 3 seasons of early exits as they apply to Elliott.....

2 years ago they brought your savior in to stink up the playoffs and last year Allen fell on his face.....in 2013 Elliott played all 6 games of the first round loss and had a 1.90 GAA....so you blame him for that series?? Hey...... no need to let the facts get in the way.

The Blues, as an organization have mismanaged goalies for the last 5-7 years.

Dadakota......I don't know the total....but I know letting Bishop go was one of the all-time Blues goalie screw ups. But hey, we had Jake Allen so we didn't need him. Funny how the one goalie that has withstood the test of time in the all the coming and going of goalies is Elliott.....even though "Hitchcock and Armstrong went looking for a playoff goalie". BTW - the signing of the washed up Miller ranks just behind the letting go of Bishop......and he was touted as the guy who was finally going to bring the cup to St. Louis by the likes of Sptsman and LS.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#252372 - 04/21/16 09:29 AM

The Miller deal was a double bad move one for passing up your own guy and two for selecting Miller as the player to bring on board. Sprtsman if you tell griffin he was right on this he might finally stfu about it.

But you can not have a deal that bad go by and then say gee, not the gm's fault. It was a bad deal THEN as much as now and Armstrong owns it.

Then last year was again the wrong decision made. Maybe Hitch's, but wrong nonetheless. They put a ROOKIE in the play offs in front of Elliott.

Elliott has never played better than he is right now, no doubt about that. But when you look at the 2 preceding years and how they turned out, hindsight or not it is clear how badly handled this position was by management choice.

We are not out of the woods by any means on being past any of this. No hindsight here, I'll say it up front for you, this duo can still find a dozen ways to screw this goalie thing up before anything is over.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#252378 - 04/22/16 09:09 AM

Ouch.. Great comeback in the third. Thought they were going to pull it off. I hope this doesn't give too big of a kick start to the Hawks.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

#252379 - 04/22/16 11:43 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
The Blues, as an organization have mismanaged goalies for the last 5-7 years.

Wrong!! The Blues have been mismanaging goalies since the early 90's...

So, it is panic time (we are Blues fans you know) or just worry time? Hard to imagine winning three games in a row in the United Center. IF that turns out to be true, we're looking at a game 7. Let's hope it doesn't get to that. I will say this team has a different feel to is with regards to the fight in them and the resiliency we're seeing when they get behind. Previous years they just laid down and gave up.

Anybody know if Allen or Elliott is starting game 6?

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252381 - 04/22/16 12:56 PM

No worries....I think the Blues have gotten better each game of this series. Last night they lost their concentration for about 8 minutes in the 2nd period and it cost them, but otherwise, their best effort by far.

I don't know many people who thought this would be less then a 6 or 7 game series......so no need to panic.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#252382 - 04/22/16 01:35 PM

Great game from a fans stand point. Agree Blues gave it up for that time in the second and it came back to haunt. But Shatty really pissed me off with his stand around play and it cost us twice.

My guess is Q stays with Toews and Kane but Hitch does NOT limit Tarasenko's ice time as he did last night. Stas and Backes did well containing Toews but Senko needs to be on the ice. Compromise is needed.

You can bench somebody because Bortuzzo needs to be laced up.

Blues are the better team top to bottom, they just can not let up and give Chicago's top line or Panarin that kind of leeway.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252383 - 04/22/16 01:50 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Ott needs to sit. He was consistently behind the play and a step slow. I like him, and I know the value he can bring to the locker room/bench.....but now that the games are ramped up his time off and age are showing.

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#252384 - 04/22/16 04:40 PM

Make up ur friggin mind griff bout ott

Backes on the 13th u wanted ott on the ice.
Anybody that knows anythang bout hockey could c that ott was not goin 2 b an asset @ the playoffs.

That said........I sure hope Allen starts in game 6.

Ells needs a rest

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#252385 - 04/22/16 04:40 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

.but now that things are ramped up his time off and age are showing.

Reminds me of some duck hunters I know.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: H2ODOG]
      #252386 - 04/22/16 06:17 PM

What this team needs is a TJ Oshie!!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: Bubba]
      #252387 - 04/23/16 06:47 AM

I want Ells to give us the best game of his life. He can choose tonight or Monday.

The rest will follow.

--------------------

sptsman

#252389 - 04/24/16 07:19 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
I want Ells to give us the best game of his life. He can choose tonight or Monday.

The rest will follow.

He picked Monday apparently...

You can hardly blame that loss on him but it would have been nice for him to stand on his head and save the rest of his teammates when they decided to quit in the 2nd and 3rd periods...

So, now we have a reality check. Since this time last year, there has really only been one question. Can the core players shake off the label of quitters, chokers or whatever label you want to give them? Last night was the perfect example of what we have seen for the last 3 years. A team that has proven they heave the skill, talent and coaching but just lack the fortitude to dig deep and finish the job. And when the going got tough, I mean really tough, they folded like a cheap suit... Granted, they are playing the defending Cup champs and a damn good team but they have already shown they can beat them, by going up 3-1 in the series and winning twice in their building.

Will they rise to the occasion Monday night? Will they be golfing by next weekend? Will Backes be able to say he did the best he could and we're on to round 2 or will he give his well seasoned and often used, we-just-didn't-play-good-enough post playoff game interviews?

I guess we'll see what happens Monday night. Every previously let-down-by-the-Blues bone in my body says it's over. It feels like the Blues have given up and are defeated before they even step on the ice Monday night. It feels like every one of them can't shake the oh-chit-here-we-go-again mentality. It feels like the Hawks smell blood in the water lie a hungry shark and the outcome is a foregone conclusion.

But alas, I am a Blues fan!! We hang on to any hope we can muster to drown out the feelings of possible defeat and hold on to hope!!! I will find a replica Barclay Plager sweater, put it on and sit on the edge of my seat Monday night (unless I get a call to go to the game). I will live and die with every stride of Backes' skates and pray he scores the game winner.

Go Blues!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#252391 - 04/24/16 01:08 PM

Get ready Blues fans. It's coming, as it has for decades. Another disappointing finish is among us

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

last_stand

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: H2ODOG]
      #252394 - 04/25/16 05:34 AM

This game, with all the momo for the Hawks, is certainly set up for yet another epic fail. That is true.

But, not for THIS Blues team.

Hitch, get your head out. Shattenkirk and Jbo.....wake the fork up.

--------------------

sptsman

#252395 - 04/25/16 07:55 AM

Predictions:

Blues 7
Hawks 1

Elliot only has to make 19 saves.

Berglund with the hat trick!!

Backes gets three teeth knocked-out by 4th stick swinging incident for Keith and he goes on to score 2 goals...

Ken Hitchcock does his best Chris Farley Chippendale's dance on the bench after the win. It will look something like this... Hitchcock celebrates win over Hawks like this

Go Blues!!!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#252396 - 04/25/16 09:29 AM

Since Hitch is the answer they should probably get rid of Tarasenko - he's obviously a cancer:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/153165...ko-even-arguing

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: IIFID]
      #252397 - 04/25/16 09:55 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Since Hitch is the answer they should probably get rid of Tarasenko - he's obviously a cancer:
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/153165...ko-even-arguing

I listened to a long statistical breakdown this morning of Tarasenko's playing time/shifts. He has played the least on the nights they have won, and he played the most during Saturday nights collapse.

I'm going to go with the Hall of Fame coach at this point.

Like I said earlier......anybody who didn't think this series could go to 7 games is an idiot. This is what home ice is for. I'll save the critique on this team and it's coaching when I see how the series actually ends.

I hate whiners.

--------------------

sptsman

#252398 - 04/25/16 10:31 AM

This game isn't going to rest on Tarasenko's ice time or Hitchcock. It is going to be 100% about the effort and execution of the core players we need to step up and be the leaders and show they can get this team to the next level. That is Backes, Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Steen, Elliott, and a few others. You can argue if Tarasenko should be in this group or not. I would think so. But cheesy arguments like the Hitchcock / Tarasenko feud are not relevant to the game tonight.

We know what we're going to get from Tarasenko and we know how much Chicago is going to focus on him. That frees up the players like Fabbri, Schwartz and a few others to make plays without the Hawks' #1 focus. But none of it matters if the core game is not won in the corners, at the bluelines and in the neutral zone. That's where the core players have to win the battles. That's where it is about digging deep and winning the dozens of little battles, every minute of the game. That is where the Blues failed Saturday night and where they will have failed, if they lose tonight...

--------------------

last_stand

#252399 - 04/25/16 01:54 PM

Hitch is stubborn and he likes his defense. I do too but the last few games tell me it's time to change it up Hitch. Time to let Q have something himself to think about.

I understand and agree with everything said on what it takes to win. The team, the mindset, on puck, 60 minutes, defense........and so much more.

I understand that Toews and Kane and panarin need solid defenders.

Up to a point. We need players to get the puck down ice and on net too. We can't stand around in our zone watching the hawks play paddy cake with the puck.

He has the best most lethal shot than ANY player on either team on his bench. He has 14 goals in his first 19 play off games on his bench. That is Mario Lemieux territory.

And griffin, his minutes were down for a few of our wins because he doesn't kill penalties, and the hawks obliged with plenty of penalties in which we converted into wins.

No arguing here. No whining. I am not in the mood. Just an opinion is all. If Hitch has his own way to round 2 then let it be. My humble suggestion would be to somehow someway put the leagues leading playoff goal scorer into the game more often, more towards the 20 minute mark. And Fabbri is needed more minutes as well. It has some risk but as always, the reward is there too.

And to my Blues brothers here who really do want a win tonight, under ANY circumstance, God bless ya and let the karma flow.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#252400 - 04/25/16 03:14 PM

"I'll save the critique on this team and it's coaching when I see how the series actually ends." - sounds like one of your famous "predictions".

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 751 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10226

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page