CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: sptsman]
      #251409 - 12/24/15 09:39 PM

Don't hold your breath for a Twist or Domi or Probert.

Ain't happening. Not here and not anywhere anymore.

Like it or not Hitch's style is here and whenever the players decide to go freelance things seem to go the way they did in Philly.

We have the goal tending do we have the goal scorers?

Senko and Fabbri bring new blood. Need to get Schwartz back hope he can make it the rest of the way.

I remain unconvinced but we are still in December. Let's see where we are in March.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: last_stand]
      #251434 - 12/29/15 04:40 PM

Name Droppers!

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: Bubba]
      #251438 - 12/29/15 06:03 PM

"I remain unconvinced but we are still in December. Let's see where we are in March."
I don't know where "we" will be but I'd bet the Blues players will be playing golf like they are every year..

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: IIFID]
      #251445 - 12/30/15 07:23 AM

After watching last night's 3rd period meltdown and Sunday's no-show in Dallas, I have to wonder about the make-up of this team. Very odd how they can play so well and dominate a game so decisively, then turn around and be almost non-existent in the next period of the very same game. I don't ever recall seeing a team look so good and so bad in the same game, so many times. Consistency seems to be an issue with this bunch. But it is only December...

Allen is clearly the real deal. Not sure if he was just brought up too soon or just needed the seasoning/experience he got to become a top-tier keeper. If he can show this level of play in the playoffs, we may just have a real, top-tier netminder. But that is a HUGE "if". That Bluenote seems to have a kryptonite effect on goalies in STL.

Disappointed to see Berglund skating again. That means he'll soon be on the ice. Unless he's had a heart transplant, I can't think of one guy I'd remove from the line-up to insert in his place. I hope he proves me wrong but he is the biggest waste of skill, size and talent in the history of the Blues.

Go Blues!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

#251450 - 12/31/15 08:30 AM

Agree on Jake, however Tuesdays game was not his best. He made some great plays but the PP goal was quite doable for him imo.

I was there, had a good time. Hockey is one of the best spectator sports IMO.

We had best find a killer instinct if we want to actually play more than a few games in April. Up 3-1 somehow and then you give up 2 goals in the closing minutes.

I am a fan of the 3 on 3 OT. Apparently, Hitch doesn't think much of Fabbri for that, he never saw a minute of OT ice.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#251454 - 12/31/15 12:09 PM

I have come around on Allen.......no problem with him being the #1.

I hope Berglund has a heart attack getting back into shape.....or gets hit by a car.....or a train...or falls into a wood chipper....or gets beheaded by ISIS.

3 on 3 is fun, but if we can't have a full sudden death (and I have no idea why we can't....it ain't going to last long aith 3 on 3), I'd rather just go straight to a shootout with NO point given for regulation "tie". Anything to get rid of that single point......it's stupid. It made sense when there were actual ties.....but it's been ridiculous since the OT format was devised.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: griffin]
      #251455 - 12/31/15 12:57 PM

If Allen keeps this up, not sure how to react to play offs. Does this mean we have a chance to take a series? Team still has to be able to bounce back and win when down.

So I wait to see if he will keep it up. He has sound fundamentals, pretty good with his stick/puck too.

I don't like the point system either. Much prefer OT to a shoot out, but fans like that dam shoot out.

For once in many moons I will watch the All Star game. They are doing 3 on 3 with 4 teams of 12 (I think) selected, winner of it all gets a million bucks. How they will get the defensive guys into that will be interesting. And if I were a goalie, I think I'd like it better than the usual goal fest games they have for this event. I'm guessing the effort will be 10X's that of their usual All Star stuff.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#251458 - 12/31/15 03:26 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

For once in many moons I will watch the All Star game. They are doing 3 on 3 with 4 teams of 12 (I think) selected, winner of it all gets a million bucks. How they will get the defensive guys into that will be interesting. And if I were a goalie, I think I'd like it better than the usual goal fest games they have for this event. I'm guessing the effort will be 10X's that of their usual All Star stuff.

Well.....that's not really hockey, but then neither is the regular format. I may watch this year, though.....just to see how it goes.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#251462 - 01/01/16 09:54 AM

I'm considering tuning in myself. Should be swell.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

sptsman

#251480 - 01/04/16 09:51 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
If Allen keeps this up, not sure how to react to play offs. Does this mean we have a chance to take a series? Team still has to be able to bounce back and win when down.

Allen has not been as sharp the last 4-5 games but Elliott has not exactly been "the man" when he was inserted. What encourages me about Allen is that he has shown several games of very solid play. In short, we know he has what it takes. As always, it will come down to his and the rest of this team's ability to step-up un April...

The All-Star game is going to be a exhibition of skating, shooting and scoring. Since they have all but choked it out if the regular 5 on 5 game, this is the only time you'll get to see pure offensive talent, other than the OT 3 on 3. Not sure how it is going to be received but I know if it can be forked up, the NHL will find a way to fork it up.

--------------------

DADAKOTA

Loc: Missouri West Side

#251483 - 01/04/16 02:18 PM

Allen might amount to something if he can stop giving up a terrible goal each game.

sptsman

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: DADAKOTA]
      #251492 - 01/05/16 06:16 AM

Quote:

DADAKOTA said:
Allen might amount to something if he can stop giving up a terrible goal each game.

Agreed. Elliott did the same last night. I didn't see the 2nd goal but the 1st was just a weak goal that I'm sure he would like to have back. I didn't see the 2nd because I had some chores to do before bed. The wife asked why I wasn't going to watch the end of the game and I told her I'd already seen it. After watching the 2nd period decline, I figured the 3rd period would follow the same script as many of the recent games. I got up the morning to see they didn't score in the 3rd period, gave up a goal then lost in OT. It was easy to see coming and I didn't want to watch it...

This team has a serious leadership issue amongst the players. Until that is dealt with in some manner, your going to see this again and again. Soon we'll have dissent and finger pointing. I hope Hitchcock and Armstrong can get this figured out ASAP. Backes would not be the first Captain to ever be traded...

--------------------

last_stand

#251494 - 01/05/16 07:59 AM

He was screened 100% on the second goal. He was not at fault on the OT goal either.

Another lead squandered, being a trend here as of late.

Backes is in his last year so he would be a candidate to move in February. He should not be resigned by the Blues imo so moving him would make sense. He will have value for some teams in the hunt. And the Blues need to pick up some values themselves, players that can score would help.

Team definitely in a funk right now.

I can't say I'm surprised at any of this. Other than Oshie, no big moves were made to change much. I am at peace with it all. I'd actually like to see these guys fighting for a playoff spot in March than what I've seen in recent years which has ultimately led to nothing.

Go Blue!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#251495 - 01/05/16 09:15 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

DADAKOTA said:

Agreed. Elliott did the same last night. I didn't see the 2nd goal but the 1st was just a weak goal that I'm sure he would like to have back. I didn't see the 2nd because I had some chores to do before bed. The wife asked why I wasn't going to watch the end of the game and I told her I'd already seen it. After watching the 2nd period decline, I figured the 3rd period would follow the same script as many of the recent games. I got up the morning to see they didn't score in the 3rd period, gave up a goal then lost in OT. It was easy to see coming and I didn't want to watch it...

This team has a serious leadership issue amongst the players. Until that is dealt with in some manner, your going to see this again and again. Soon we'll have dissent and finger pointing. I hope Hitchcock and Armstrong can get this figured out ASAP. Backes would not be the first Captain to ever be traded...

I thought it was all Oshie's fault? At least that is what several folks on here said??

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

#251497 - 01/05/16 12:35 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:

I thought it was all Oshie's fault? At least that is what several folks on here said??

You thought who said what was Oshie's fault?

Spit it out man.

--------------------

sptsman

#251504 - 01/06/16 07:23 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

You thought who said what was Oshie's fault?

Spit it out man.

Most people that follow the Blues thought Oshie was a problem and I was one of them. He openly criticized the Coach and vanished in the big games and spotlight. He was traded and it has proven to be the right move. I don't recall anyone claiming everything was his fault.

I have only one criticism of the way Hitch is handling things (other than the ongoing "C" on Backes). He has a real talent in Robby Fabbri and until recently left him mired on the #4 line. Forget all of that old school code and how he has to learn to be a pro and earn his stripes, blah, blah, blah... Put the kid on a line with some legit scorers and he'll produce. He's got the highest shooting % on the team and you have to be a moron not to see he has special talent. When Schwartz comes back, you'll have at least 4 or 5 guys with 20-30 goal per year talent.

Let's hope this road trip brings out some team unity and some better play for an entire 60 mins...

Go Blue!!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#251508 - 01/06/16 07:52 PM

The only criticism I have of Hitch is that none of his teams in the last 10 years have made it past the second round of the playoffs.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#251509 - 01/06/16 07:54 PM

By the way sptsman, what exactly is the "proof" that you speak of regarding trading Oshie?

--------------------

last_stand

#251606 - 01/21/16 05:36 PM

Really liked that game last night. While far from perfect, Ell's was magnificent and the team played pretty darn good in front of him. Back in the day, that game went to the Wings in the 3rd at the Joe.

I'm getting a little sucked in now with this team. They made no big significant moves last year so the makeup is not radically different but the young guys are starting to gel and the old dogs, who used to be the young core, seem up for the fight to salvage something of their long talked about legacy which so far hasn't amounted to chit.

And there it is for me. This year, the one with no major moves, where the team can't score enough goals, where no one really knows what "reckless" actually means, where we seem to run in streaks, where there is yet another goalie controversy on the brink, where no one reeealy believes this team has a chance ................well why the fork not.

Get Schwartzy back. Stay healthy. Hitch don't fork it up with the minders. Now, make that next jump.

Dayum they got me.

--------------------

sptsman

#251609 - 01/21/16 07:05 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Really liked that game last night. While far from perfect, Ell's was magnificent and the team played pretty darn good in front of him. Back in the day, that game went to the Wings in the 3rd at the Joe.

I'm getting a little sucked in now with this team. They made no big significant moves last year so the makeup is not radically different but the young guys are starting to gel and the old dogs, who used to be the young core, seem up for the fight to salvage something of their long talked about legacy which so far hasn't amounted to chit.

And there it is for me. This year, the one with no major moves, where the team can't score enough goals, where no one really knows what "reckless" actually means, where we seem to run in streaks, where there is yet another goalie controversy on the brink, where no one reeealy believes this team has a chance ................well why the fork not.

Get Schwartzy back. Stay healthy. Hitch don't fork it up with the minders. Now, make that next jump.

Dayum they got me.

April is rapidly approaching... But we have the trade deadline first...

--------------------

last_stand

#251612 - 01/22/16 05:53 AM

Backes and Shattenkirk most talked about there. I would think they far prefer to move Backes if they can.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#251613 - 01/22/16 07:56 AM

Hey, Elliot is only 5-1-1 since taking over for Allen.....and he's only stopped 111 of 117 shots. Let's get rid of him.....he sucks.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#251614 - 01/22/16 09:13 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Backes and Shattenkirk most talked about there. I would think they far prefer to move Backes if they can.

If they move Shattenkirk, I will be very bummed. Look at the power play stats with him in and out of the line-up. And I can't see a scenario where they move Backes unless they are 100% convinced they can't sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal, at a reduced cost. That one is hard to read.

My fantasy is a package deal the sends Backes and Berglund to anywhere for any player(s) with a solid playoff resume... Unfortunately, there just aren't enough deaf, dumb and blind GM's that would take Berglund and his salary for anything more than a bag of pucks.

--------------------

sptsman

#251615 - 01/22/16 09:19 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Hey, Elliot is only 5-1-1 since taking over for Allen.....and he's only stopped 111 of 117 shots. Let's get rid of him.....he sucks.

griffin

Elliott does not usually suck during the regular season. In fact, he has a pretty good history of regular season success. He has historically waited until the playoffs to suck... Allen is about the same with a little less history. The problem with both has nothing to do with talent or regular season performance. For both it is all about stepping up and playing well during the playoffs.

--------------------

last_stand

#251616 - 01/22/16 12:02 PM

I did not agree with Hitchcock's handling of this last year when he shut Elliott out unfairly imo in March and stuck with the rookie for the playoffs. Maybe there will be a payoff for that experience this year, I dunno.

It will be interesting to see if Ell's has taken the job away or if we do the musical chair thing. I just want one of them hot and in the net for April.

As is now, either one could stand on their head and we still have to beat some great teams from the git go. We need a competent goalie, that's all, and a forkin team who won't lay down.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 837 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10225

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page