CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: last_stand]
      #252024 - 03/24/16 05:35 PM

Andy - I have been an Elliot fan for a long time, as you know.

The fact is, he has NEVER played like he is playing this year. His positioning is pretty amazing right now.....he has to make very few "acrobatic" saves because he's already where he needs to be. In his last 24 games he is at 1.80 GAA. That's not only elite within the league, that's elite level when looking at all time.

We're all snake bit with the Blues......but this team is really coming along at the right time....and between Elliot and Allen they absolutely have the best goaltending in the league.

Look for my prediction for their cup run sometime in August.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: griffin]
      #252036 - 03/25/16 11:14 AM

I'm sorry but too many years of April failures for me to get excited about the Blues. I've seen this story before (and recently) and it has always ended poorly. I hope I'm wrong but Id bet I'm not. I'll be shocked if this team makes it through two rounds.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: IIFID]
      #252039 - 03/26/16 06:15 AM

Ah Yes, the April collapse. Around here, about as sure a thing as Easter.

But I switched up at the trade deadline and went all in. This teams deserves it and what the hell, it's a lot more fun this way.

If the Blues win round 1, they will make it to the SC final.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252041 - 03/26/16 10:20 AM

I agree this team deserves it and I'm all in as well. BUT....if Hitchcock starts being an idiot with the goalies I'm out.

Elliot now with 1.6 GAA in last 20 games.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#252043 - 03/26/16 02:55 PM

He has at least made the right call with this back to back.

But I'll bet $5 to a donut he will try to fork up the goalie deal at some point.

And another thing, right now ALL the lines are totally set. A blind man can see this. Steen for Jaskin or paarjvi when he comes back. Unless there's a breakdown, no tinkering needed other than maybe 3rd guy on the 4th line.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252046 - 03/26/16 07:37 PM

Truly, if they blow up this year it will be the biggest letdown in the Blue's history....and lord knows there have been some epic meltdowns in the playoffs.

Only the 4th time since 1950 a team has had 4 shutouts in a row.....they dominated the best team in hockey tonight with the same hard work they have showed the last month.

I agree LS......the top 3 lines are set....when the hell was the last time that happened going into the playoffs? Not to mention the best goalie in the league with a backup that would be the #1 for 80% of the NHL.

GO BLUE!!!!

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#252048 - 03/27/16 10:37 AM

Sounds all in to me.

And since we are, let me say a thing or two to the "samo" crowd.

First, rookie Parayko. In October, I said he reminded me of Pronger. And he does, in certain aspects. He's not mean like Pronger was, but he is as BIG, uses his body well, and pretty much effectively glides/protects the puck in the same fashion.

On offense, he is not so Pronger like. He is faster. He has softer hands and he has a better shot.

NO, I am not saying he's a HOF'er, not saying he's better than Pronger. But at 22 years, this kid has at least a chance to be very special. And he's cool as a cucumber.

Then there's rookie Edmunson. Tenacious, big, skilled body that loves to get in the dirty spots. Has proven himself over and over to be trusted and good enough to move up to the 4 spot. The kid really showed something last night when he took on the almighty himself in the Blues crease. That was pretty cool.

These two guys (along with Bortuzzo imo) have put an edge on this defense that this team could only dream about last year. They are young, inexperienced and probably going to learn a thing or two this April, but they don't know about any Blues spell or jinx or curse.

IMO, one thing Hitch can do is switch up the pairings. Jbo and Petro need to split up. Let each of them have one of these rookies to dish out some pain. They are ready for this kind of role.

Who ever they draw round 1 is going to be a tough match up. I am not predicting anything other than my belief that this team won't be folding for anybody. Those days are gone.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#252049 - 03/27/16 10:43 AM

Their biggest weakness is the coach.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252051 - 03/27/16 12:39 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:

Not even close to being true. This Blues team has bought into his system....and it's a good one. This team, minus one of the worst "games missed because of injury" in the league, would easily be running away with the presidents trophy. Despite the injuries, I think they'll end up ahead of the Stars and as conference champions. You don't do that with a coach who doesn't know the game.

I don't like the way he handles the goalies, but Elliott's play has pretty much taken that card away from him.

The Stanley Cup is very hard to win (possibly the most grueling in all of sports)....without question, this team has the tools to make a run.

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#252052 - 03/27/16 12:51 PM

the gayhawks!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome game last night

Good 2 c Backes set up that 1st goal

Paraynco #7 in the league +/-.

Berlund skating well too

HappyEaster Bunnies

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#252053 - 03/27/16 01:44 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

Not even close to being true. This Blues team has bought into his system....and it's a good one. This team, minus one of the worst "games missed because of injury" in the league, would easily be running away with the presidents trophy. Despite the injuries, I think they'll end up ahead of the Stars and as conference champions. You don't do that with a coach who doesn't know the game.

I don't like the way he handles the goalies, but Elliott's play has pretty much taken that card away from him.

The Stanley Cup is very hard to win (possibly the most grueling in all of sports)....without question, this team has the tools to make a run.

Whats not true? Yep he is a great regular season coach - if that's what you want. I thought we were talking Stanley Cup? Take away two seasons in Dallas 17 & 18 years ago and his teams playoff records sucks. In the last 5 playoff seasons his teams playoff record is 10 and 21 including a season that they had the most points in the NHL. He has had different players, different goalies, etc. and the results have been the same.
I really hope this is the year they at least get to Lord Stanley's Cup - but I am not getting my hopes up.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252054 - 03/27/16 03:40 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

Whats not true? Yep he is a great regular season coach - if that's what you want. I thought we were talking Stanley Cup? Take away two seasons in Dallas 17 & 18 years ago and his teams playoff records sucks. In the last 5 playoff seasons his teams playoff record is 10 and 21 including a season that they had the most points in the NHL. He has had different players, different goalies, etc. and the results have been the same.
I really hope this is the year they at least get to Lord Stanley's Cup - but I am not getting my hopes up.

Dude - google how many coaches there have been in the NHL.....then google how many of them have ever won a Stanley Cup. Hitchcock's stellar resume doesn't need any endorsement from some hack fans, he's earned it.

Like I said, this is the hardest trophy to win in all of sports. I'd like to see it here, but if the Blues get through a couple of rounds I'll enjoy the extra games and call the season a success.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#252057 - 03/28/16 10:41 AM

So success in hockey is measured by the results in the regular season and not the playoffs? Interesting take but not the way I look at it. I'm surprised Griffin that you be satisfied with mediocrity. Set your expectations low and you'll continue to achieve them. I though am losing hope that I'll see the Blues Captain hoist the Cup in my lifetime..

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252058 - 03/28/16 11:13 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
So success in hockey is measured by the results in the regular season and not the playoffs? Interesting take but not the way I look at it. I'm surprised Griffin that you be satisfied with mediocrity. Set your expectations low and you'll continue to achieve them. I though am losing hope that I'll see the Blues Captain hoist the Cup in my lifetime..

BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Hitchcock has won more championships in hockey, at every level, then 95% of hockey coaches......including a Cup. Just stop with the silliness.

As for mediocrity......dude, the Blues have had many seasons when they were anything but mediocre. If the Capitals don't win the cup this year are you willing to call them a mediocre team? I guess you might in your delusional state.

GO BLUE!!!

--------------------

last_stand

#252059 - 03/28/16 11:33 AM

To be fair to Hitchcock, 2 of the last 4 years in the playoffs the Blues lost to the eventual SC Champions, the LA Kings and the Chicago Blackhawks. Not exactly good draws there.

They won one other series and then last seasons exit was a huge screw up, that is true.

There are a ton of 90 point plus teams with GOOD coaches. But to get to the top, just few of those teams will have what it takes to go deep and win the really big games needed along the way. Hitch has done that as a coach and there's no sense trying to minimize it, because it could well be a factor to winning the Cup.

Lastly, I do think Hitch has adjusted his coaching style a bit as of late. Not so much X and O's but other things. My guess is this is likely going to be his last year no matter what might happen.

In the end, Championship teams are made by championship players. A GOOD coach can take the right talent a long way. While I am the last guy to agree with Hitch on maybe even a lot of things, he's definitely good enough for this team to win. Ironically, as I see it, after all this time under Hitch, a good part of that with this group is for him to keep it macro and simple and now just let them play.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#252062 - 03/28/16 03:55 PM

This team has all the talent they need to win the Cup. It now just comes down to showing up and wanting it more than the teams they face in the playoffs. They have proven they can play with and beat them.

All of the analysis is just blah, blah, blah, blah... Doug Armstrong has put together a formidable team and barring injury they are not missing any critical pieces (assuming Steen is coming back soon). Ken Hitchcock has put a system in place that is proven to work when executed. All we need now is the boyz to show up and play like every game, every period, every shift, every stride is critical. Any lapses in effort or execution will be their undoing. It's really that simple...

The only thing I would like to see down the stretch is a few healthy scratches for guys like Backes and few others. Unless the points are critical, some rest for a few of the workhorses might not be a bad idea. Of course you can argue it could take them out of this groove their in but I'd be willing to risk that they remember how to play after sitting a game or two.

Go Blue!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: sptsman]
      #252063 - 03/28/16 04:03 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:

All of the analysis is just blah, blah, blah, blah...

Well, some of it for sure.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#252065 - 03/28/16 06:46 PM

Back to you , Boomer...

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: Bubba]
      #252066 - 03/28/16 09:39 PM

If you want to look at a disappointing season go back to 1999-2000. That's a season they wish they had back. 13-14 and 14-15 seasons ended poorly, to say the least.

I don't think Hitch is the issue. 2 Stanley Cup finals. One Cup on the resume. 2 more conference finals.

Blues have had some great coaches they couldn't get it done with...Scotty Bowman and Coach Q. Hitch, can get it done, just a matter of the players coming together. Now if Dabs would just weigh in so we can all sleep better at night.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: H2ODOG]
      #252078 - 03/29/16 10:43 PM

Solid win tonight against a team who HAD to win.

The Blues, right now, are the best team in hockey in every facet of the game.

We'll see if it holds up into the playoffs.

griffin

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#252084 - 03/31/16 08:41 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I believe that is called qualifying a statement - otherwise known as you having the same doubts as the majority of Blues fans..

I honestly hope that they win the whole dayum thing and then I'll be the first to admit I was way off on Hitchcock. I'll be celebrating like a mofo. I've been a fan since the beginning as well and dreaming of the day.

However if they go out early again will you admit it could be the coach or will there be more blaming the players?

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#252086 - 03/31/16 09:35 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

I believe that is called qualifying a statement - otherwise known as you having the same doubts as the majority of Blues fans..

I honestly hope that they win the whole dayum thing and then I'll be the first to admit I was way off on Hitchcock. I'll be celebrating like a mofo. I've been a fan since the beginning as well and dreaming of the day.

However if they go out early again will you admit it could be the coach or will there be more blaming the players?

When a team compiles 100+ points in a season and gets bounced in the first couple rounds its ALWAYS going to be on the players....every damn time. Its forking hockey, not football. Its a system, not play calling. If its good enough for 100+ points its good enough for a deep playoff run. Period.

--------------------

last_stand

#252087 - 04/01/16 05:15 AM

Hitch is on a one year contract.

Pretty sure he is gone in any round one loss circumstance.

Guessing he'd have it no other way himself.

Good luck to the next coach in reaching 100+, making 5 straight PO appearances.

BTW, who is that guy?

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#252090 - 04/01/16 07:17 AM

My guess is all but about 5 or 6 teams in the league would love to have Hitchcock as their Head Coach. He's not the issue. He's not perfect but no coach is. If they lose early in the playoffs, I'd put less than 10% of the blame on him this time around...

Let's hope this Fabbri injury is just a minor setback, as it's being reported. That would sting if it is more than a game or two. He's been a very important part of this offense coming around.

5 games left. Blues should finish 1st or 2nd in the Division and conference. I get a headache trying to figure out what that means, in terms of who they will likely play or not play in the first round. I guess it really doesn't matter. They just need to play their best and win. Whoever gets Chicago will get a break. Looks like they'll be without Crawford and probably Duncan Keith for at least round 1. Then again, this is the NHL. Wouldn't surprise me if they give Keith 5 games and pretend like it never happened. If that forker gets less than 15-20 games, it will just solidify the opinion of many that they are a garage league.

Go Blue!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: 2015-2016 SAINT LOUIS BLUES [Re: sptsman]
      #252096 - 04/01/16 05:00 PM

If ya find yourself like I did today in a doctors waiting room burning some time......be sure to pull out your phone and re read this Blues thread.

It might be inside stuff, but there's some hilarious chit in here.

And btw, thank you in particular sportsmn.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 10225

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page