CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: sptsman]
      #254373 - 01/20/17 04:32 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Well, it is now the second half of January. A long as a team stays in the hunt to this point, how they play from here on out is all that matters. Many of the last 10-20 Cup winners were not #1 or #2 seeds...

That being said, this team has regressed tremendously in the last several weeks. We can speculate all day long about the reasons. The coaching set-up is odd with Yeo as the Head Coach-in-waiting. The goaltending has gone from adequate to poor (or worse). Key players seem to either have undisclosed injuries or they've just given up and are playing half-arsed. Clearly, the roster has a few holes that need filled, even if they were playing well...

I know the front office looked at this year as a crap shoot and understood it was probably going to be one step backwards to go two or three steps forward. The problem is over the last several weeks, it has been two or three steps backwards and it appears they can't seem to figure out how to get out of this funk.

Here is my suggestion for the rest of the season. Step one: Have Hitch resign and make it look like it is his idea. Give him a nice sendoff. Yeo is taking over eventually and the players know that. They can't use him like Asst. Coaches are normally used (as a buffer between the Head Coach and players). Just let him have the reigns now and start establishing the new order. Step two: Trade all players you are pretty sure you're not going to re-sign and get what you can for them. Step three: Start sending guys down or to the press box when they don't perform. Sit a guy like Steen or Perron a game or two and it will get all of the players' attention. This team needs a shake-up and it needs to be more than something minor.

In the meantime, I will continue to be a long suffering Blues fan, looking forward to next season...

Certainly nice not hearing from you that David Backes is not a good Captain. But wait......he was. Painfully clear kind of was.

Hitch isn't the problem but it won't surprise me to see him gone on his own or under pressure, it's SOP when it happens under these kinds of circumstances but hardly some whiz bang decision and imo it won't change much.

For starters right now just fix the friggen hole in front of the net. Copley should have been brought up a week ago but we had to coddle Allen one more friggen time, the 33rd time in his short career here. Copley has been good in Chicago but probably not truly ready but that's all Army has right now so let her fly.

If the goal tending gets to a level of decency then certain Steens, Stasnys and Lehteras need to play big boy hockey and earn their living. And it's no secret all their contracts are the equivalent of a sack of bricks on a swimmers neck.

But for right now, I'll take a decent goaltender over Yeo or any available coach out there. I think Yeo would too.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: IIFID]
      #254375 - 01/20/17 10:22 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
You're right as always Griff. He's a great coach! He has won ONE Stanley Cup and ONE Conference Championship (other than the Stanley Cup season) in his 20+ year NHL head coaching career. I'll just mention too that those were 18 and 19 years ago but that isn't pertinent I'm sure. And his playoff winning percentage with the Blues is .426! If you're satisfied with results like that I will be too. At least they won't flame out in the playoffs this year because it appears they probably won't make it. And if they do make in it, they won't be there for long. But hey it's OK because we have a GREAT Coach!

Dude - I decided to write down everything you know about hockey on the head of a pin.

It turns out I've got some room leftover....you want me to fill the rest in with baseball?

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: griffin]
      #254376 - 01/21/17 08:27 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:
You're right as always Griff. He's a great coach! He has won ONE Stanley Cup and ONE Conference Championship (other than the Stanley Cup season) in his 20+ year NHL head coaching career. I'll just mention too that those were 18 and 19 years ago but that isn't pertinent I'm sure. And his playoff winning percentage with the Blues is .426! If you're satisfied with results like that I will be too. At least they won't flame out in the playoffs this year because it appears they probably won't make it. And if they do make in it, they won't be there for long. But hey it's OK because we have a GREAT Coach!

Dude - I decided to write down everything you know about hockey on the head of a pin.

It turns out I've got some room leftover....you want me to fill the rest in with baseball?

griffin

Careful IIFID. You are approaching huntoften status...

I have to agree with griffin on the Hitch issue. He is a great coach, will be in the HOF and is no more than 10% of the problems with this team. We can argue about the other 90% all day long but we've seen what this team and the previous years' teams have done under him, when they play his style. The biggest issues right now are simply goaltending, effort and execution. Roster holes and coaching can't be ignored but they are far from the biggest problems.

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

sptsman

Re: 2016-2017 Saint Louis Blues [Re: last_stand]
      #254377 - 01/21/17 08:38 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Certainly nice not hearing from you that David Backes is not a good Captain. But wait......he was. Painfully clear kind of was.

Let's review what the Blues won with him ... Review complete: NOTHING

Let's review his post seasons with the Blues:
Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Above Average

He was a very good player that the Blues miss in the corners and mostly in front of the net. He led them to NOTHING and vanished when it counted far more than he the times he rose to the occasion.

Get over him... He's gone... And quit trying to rewrite history as some means to explain what's going on today...

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#254378 - 01/21/17 01:47 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

griffin

Careful IIFID. You are approaching huntoften status...

Ain't skeert - he's banned me before on here...

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#254379 - 01/21/17 01:49 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

griffin

And I get this kind of abuse when I agree that HE'S A GREAT COACH ??

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254380 - 01/21/17 10:00 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

griffin

And I get this kind of abuse when I agree that HE'S A GREAT COACH ??

Say it again and you can stay.

Dude, I've never banned you......there's only about 20 of us left.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#254383 - 01/22/17 09:36 AM

You absolutely did many years ago! You banned Wagner and then banned me just because I was Wagner's friend! LOL! I believe it was done in jest and lasted a whole three days or so. The most shocking part to me was that you knew how to run the ban hammer... or did you have someone else do ot?

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254384 - 01/22/17 12:29 PM

There is never a day that Wagner does not deserve to be banned......collateral damage is just what it is.

And dude, please, Dabs and Wu know who to come to for the technical parts of this board.

griffin

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#254385 - 01/22/17 02:22 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
......there's only about 20 of us left.

griffin

That many????

Well....only the strong survive

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254387 - 01/22/17 08:48 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Above Average

He was a very good player that the Blues miss in the corners and mostly in front of the net. He led them to NOTHING and vanished when it counted far more than he the times he rose to the occasion.

Get over him... He's gone... And quit trying to rewrite history as some means to explain what's going on today...

Tear it down and start over. Get rid of Armstrong first....he's the guy who let the teams assets go with virtually no return....absolute mismanagement. Let Hitchcock finish his ride if he wants, or let him walk away. This isn't his fault.

This season is done, and there is no next year to look forward to without a fire sale. At this point I don't care who they trade, this team cannot play together. Bring in a GM with a plan and tear it down. I can support that.

griffin.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#254390 - 01/23/17 03:41 PM

Which good front office person from another organization would step into this mess? I think the Blues ownership/organization probably doesn't have the best reputation at this point...

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#254392 - 01/23/17 10:59 PM

Maybe the Note need to build an outside stadium/rink & try that first

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

sptsman

#254393 - 01/24/17 06:55 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Which good front office person from another organization would step into this mess? I think the Blues ownership/organization probably doesn't have the best reputation at this point...

This mess? Are you serious? An ownership that will spend to the cap limit, some top tier players (including a few potential superstars in Tarasenko and Parayko), a strong fan base, top 4 finish just last season... I think you may have a serious misconception regarding how the Blues are viewed by serious hockey people. This would be a good job to land for most GM's and certainly for any prospective GM.

I would be surprised if they replace Armstrong. He / they made a few miscalculations this past offseason with the attempt to offset the loss in beef with speed. I think the idea was that some of these key players, making big money would see the opportunity and step it up a notch. They either overestimated their talent levels or their heart/character. I would say it is the heart/character issue because we watched this team excel in the first half of the season. Armstrong may not be the issue. I would think they will let Yeo run the ship for the rest of the season and then make a decision on Armstrong.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254394 - 01/24/17 11:19 AM

Andy - I agree 100% with what you wrote about the organization and fan base being strong. But not about Armstrong. You really can't name a strong move he's made as a GM.....but you can certainly point to any number of boneheaded moves that have led to where this team is now. I've been calling this team out for no heart/character since the beginning of the season. It's just obvious to anyone who has spent a lot of time watching hockey. As for the team excelling in the first half.....bro, we are just a few games past the first half...I have seen no excelling. I've seen a few good games from them....but overall the effort and character of this team has been a problem since day 1.

This team will need to be re-built.....that means bringing in a new GM with a vision for the team and the assets it currently has. Armstrong can't get that done.....obviously.

I'm ok with letting Yeo have the reigns.....but only if it's done with the agreement of Hitchcock. He didn't create this mess. If you agree with that statement, then you can't possibly defend Armstrong.

griffin

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#254397 - 01/25/17 02:11 AM

I just dreamed that the Note shut out the high scorin busniness suits birds 3 nil.

I know the heartless Blues could not have outdone the Pens cause.,,,,,,,

1......the birds are the highest scorin team around

& 2........the pens are like 26 and 2 @ home & 3......the pens have won like 4 or 6 in a row....

Dam ......my wish has to come true someday

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

Edited by fastman (01/25/17 02:13 AM)

last_stand

#254401 - 01/25/17 05:15 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Horrible
Above Average

Rewrite?

Rewrite what you have written?

I haven't the time to clean up such a mess.

I was never a over the top Backes guy to begin with, I just saw that as a captain, he was not to blame for what ailed this team.

It's opinion, I'll leave it at that. But yours is full of ch1t.

--------------------

last_stand

#254402 - 01/25/17 05:24 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Andy - I agree 100% with what you wrote about the organization and fan base being strong. But not about Armstrong. You really can't name a strong move he's made as a GM.....but you can certainly point to any number of boneheaded moves that have led to where this team is now. I've been calling this team out for no heart/character since the beginning of the season. It's just obvious to anyone who has spent a lot of time watching hockey. As for the team excelling in the first half.....bro, we are just a few games past the first half...I have seen no excelling. I've seen a few good games from them....but overall the effort and character of this team has been a problem since day 1.

This team will need to be re-built.....that means bringing in a new GM with a vision for the team and the assets it currently has. Armstrong can't get that done.....obviously.

I'm ok with letting Yeo have the reigns.....but only if it's done with the agreement of Hitchcock. He didn't create this mess. If you agree with that statement, then you can't possibly defend Armstrong.

griffin

Until recently, I thought DA had something going.

But the wheels have fallen off the bus.

I won't blame him for the Backes defection so much, norr Brouwer, but contracts like Lehtera, Stasny and man o man the whole Allen deal have just really hurt this team. The players have caused the direct impact, but those contracts have multiplied them by tons. And the Steen signing may be in backfire mode itself.

The Jake Allen extension was the last straw for me. There was no good reason to extend him, of all people, but that's precisely what he did.

I am not sure Stillman will do it, he has a year left too, but cutting free of DA is ok with me.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#254403 - 01/25/17 05:34 PM

Lots of rumors swirling around that Shattenkirk is being offered around as trade bait. What are you thoughts on that?
Back to you Boomer!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254404 - 01/25/17 08:09 PM

I don't care if they trade Shattenkirk....or Steen, Perron, Allen, Lehtera, Berglund, Stasny, Fabbri, Tarasenko, Petrangelo, Hutton, Reeves, or anyone else on this team. Piss on them. Trade whoever needs to be traded to bring together a team that can play together with ANY degree of heart.

THIS VERSION OF THE BLUES CANNOT PLAY TOGETHER.....and isn't even entertaining to watch win they do win.....it just sucks.

Let's move on and get started with the rebuild.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#254405 - 01/26/17 12:38 PM

Whelp for those who still give a chit Broz is out for 5 weeks, 4th line now in peril.

They are bringing up Barbashev, I want to see how he's doing. Guessing Jaskin and Yak will get more time as well in the weeks ahead.

Barbashev is sposed to be a key player for Blues future. That be lookin more near future now.

Hope Hutton can hold the fort, tonight is going to be a major barn burner in the land of the hot hot Wild. I'm sure they are drooling at the thought of this erratic Blues team coming in.

Go Blue!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254406 - 01/26/17 01:28 PM

Bro - the Blues DO NOT play "barn burner" hockey. When they do win they do it by slowing the game down to the point of watching paint dry.

I'm going to watch tonight with a can of spray cheese to rub in my hair.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#254407 - 01/26/17 02:57 PM

I could give a fork how they win.

You really need to take that burr out from your azz.

And please pass the cheese.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#254409 - 01/26/17 08:40 PM

I'm out of cheese......are there any other questions about this team? What a joke.

griffin

--------------------

DADAKOTA

Loc: Missouri West Side

#254410 - 01/27/17 06:36 AM

B-lose must be hanging around with the Cardinals. No heart has been their trademark as well for many years.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 11606

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page