CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Re: 2017-2018 STL BLOUSE [Re: griffin]
      #256167 - 10/26/17 05:20 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
No, it doesn't support them in the same way....the league can do what the league wants, I have no control over that.

The Blouse is not getting any money from me. I'll support the NHL.....I won't support the Blouse. No beer, no parking, no merchandise, no food, no home tickets. Not a penny.

griffin

Except the Blues get some of the revenue from that game in Nashville. I realize you are holding your fingers in your ears and humming, in hopes none of this information penetrates your brain but them's the facts, no matter how much you don't want them to be... Better come up with a plan B for your time in Nashville. Maybe hit Broadway and see if you can spot the next Merle or Waylon, while the rest of the family and friends enjoy the game...

To quote the great philosopher, Homer, "D'oh!!"

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2017-2018 STL BLOUSE [Re: sptsman]
      #256169 - 10/26/17 06:22 AM

A shaky start then a near perfect 2nd and third, 6 shots allowed in the third.

No way Dunn goes down when Jbo returns. Steen with a very good game and guys like Sundquist and Paajarvi played solid. PP and PK solid.

10 games, 15 points. Wow.

Some ask if they can keep this up all year with this up ice system but is it fair to also ask if they can actually get better at it with Allen playing as well as he is?

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

sptsman

Re: 2017-2018 STL BLOUSE [Re: last_stand]
      #256171 - 10/26/17 08:37 AM

I got to watch most of the game, flipping back and forth to the WS. Steen was what the Blues need him to be and how he has played in the past. Not so much about the points but the intensity and tenacious play. Of course, with that will come the points for a player of his caliber. Hopefully, last year was an aberration due to injury or something else. If he plays the rest of the year like he has since returning, the Blues will be a much, much better team.

Dunn seems to be the real deal but we need to see how he does after 40 and 60 games. Can he keep it up? Let's hope so.

Overall, last night was a great game, not because they won but because they took care of business when they should have. They took advantage of a lesser team that was gassed from an OT/SO game the night before. They never let off the gas and just buried them in the 2nd and 3rd. Had Allen not taken a spill like a 6 year-old, learning to skate, it would have been 4-1 or 5-1. That is the mark of a team playing with the right mindset and intensity. Get them down, keep them down and finish them off.

A big tip of the cap to Doug Armstrong for not only getting the talent needed but getting the chemistry right as well. Probably best GM out there, don't you think?

Go Blues!!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#256173 - 10/26/17 09:14 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:
No, it doesn't support them in the same way....the league can do what the league wants, I have no control over that.

The Blouse is not getting any money from me. I'll support the NHL.....I won't support the Blouse. No beer, no parking, no merchandise, no food, no home tickets. Not a penny.

griffin

Except the Blues get some of the revenue from that game in Nashville. I realize you are holding your fingers in your ears and humming, in hopes none of this information penetrates your brain but them's the facts, no matter how much you don't want them to be... Better come up with a plan B for your time in Nashville. Maybe hit Broadway and see if you can spot the next Merle or Waylon, while the rest of the family and friends enjoy the game...

To quote the great philosopher, Homer, "D'oh!!"

Like I said, I get it....it's what the league mandates. Still, after thinking it over, I won't be seeing the Blouse down there. Not a penny.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#256174 - 10/26/17 09:22 AM

If this team maintains it's intensity and produces in the playoffs, I'll be the first to congratulate DA. It's not like I've walked away from the Saint Louis Blues and gone to a band wagon team somewhere else. bwaaaaaaaa.

We miss Fabbri big time, I think a scoring winger will be needed. Would love to see Bennett or another rookie be the guy, thought Blais had a nose for it but they sent him down after 3 games, there's still Megan and Thompson too....who knows maybe Bergy can actually blossom into what we all hoped he would be.

Tis whatever it tis, will know more later.

GO BLUE!

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#256177 - 10/26/17 11:51 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
maybe Bergy can actually blossom into what we all hoped he would be.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

You can't make this up.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

#256178 - 10/26/17 02:18 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

last_stand said:
maybe Bergy can actually blossom into what we all hoped he would be.

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!

You can't make this up.

griffin

Finally, Walt figures out something related to the Blues...

LS, dude, you get into the imported brownies at work today?

--------------------

last_stand

#256180 - 10/26/17 03:19 PM

Yes..... took some oxy this morning with my coffee.

I said "maybe" didn't I?

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#256191 - 10/27/17 05:54 PM

I miss Fabbri too..

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

Edited by Bubba (10/27/17 05:54 PM)

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2017-2018 STL BLOUSE [Re: Bubba]
      #256197 - 10/27/17 08:10 PM

Solid win for the Blouse tonight. The Carolina team was tired after a road game last night, but it's a game the Blouse has to win on rest, and they got it done. I was impressed by the 3rd period effort.

Now tied for the most goals in the conference and +9....very nice.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#256200 - 10/28/17 10:42 AM

Not bad for a slow, no heart, not tough enough team that has no scorers.

I'd put my money in Nashville if I were you. bwaaaaaaaaa

Thought for sure we'd see a stinker last night but instead this team is improving their weaknesses with each game it seems.

3rd line score, shots on goal way up, an outstanding PK that gave them the mojo for the game winner from Schenn.

If it's a dream, don't wake me up.

--------------------

fastman

Reged: 01/01/06
Loc: missouri

#256204 - 10/29/17 08:22 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Not bad for a slow, no heart, not tough enough team that has no scorers.

I'd put my money in Nashville if I were you. bwaaaaaaaaa

Thought for sure we'd see a stinker last night but instead this team is improving their weaknesses with each game it seems.

3rd line score, shots on goal way up, an outstanding PK that gave them the mojo for the game winner from Schenn.

If it's a dream, don't wake me up.

Dam....I had similar dream bout the pathetic b note

only diff in my dream was the 4th line doing a bunch of damage and poor ole allan in goal

--------------------
"A man will heedlessly charge a cannon, but puke at the sight of 6 inches of steel." Jim Bowie

last_stand

Re: 2017-2018 STL BLOUSE [Re: fastman]
      #256205 - 10/29/17 09:01 AM

When was the last time we've seen a Blues team roll like this one?

9-2-1 we've seen before, but not like this.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#256209 - 10/30/17 08:59 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:

Uh......how about 7 years ago when they started 9-1-2 with 4 shutouts.

And in case your memory still hasn't caught up, they missed the playoffs that year.....they finished 11th!!!

Settle down, Sparky.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#256211 - 10/30/17 09:06 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

And in case your memory still hasn't caught up, they missed the playoffs that year.....they finished 11th!!!

Settle down, Sparky.

griffin

And get off his lawn...

--------------------

last_stand

#256215 - 10/30/17 11:35 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Settle down, Sparky.

griffin

bwaaaaaaaaa........thanks for the answer grumpy.

And I'm settled dude. I'm not on any crusade.

--------------------

last_stand

#256218 - 10/31/17 05:53 AM

Not too shabby for an 11th seed team.

Here's what coach is saying:

"We've got a good team," Blues coach Mike Yeo said. "We've still got a long, difficult road ahead of us. We haven't accomplished anything except a good start and that can leave us very quickly."

--------------------

sptsman

#256219 - 10/31/17 06:17 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Not too shabby for an 11th seed team.

Here's what coach is saying:

"We've got a good team," Blues coach Mike Yeo said. "We've still got a long, difficult road ahead of us. We haven't accomplished anything except a good start and that can leave us very quickly."

You cut of the quote. Here's the rest of it, "...very quickly. We have Berglund coming back and we know that is going to drag us down because management is going to expect me to play him. So, we need to get all the points we can now."

I cringe at the thought of inserting that slug into the lineup. Is it that bad to hope a weight falls on his foot in, rehab and keeps him out another few months? He's still getting paid and it isn't a life threatening or life changing injury...

--------------------

sptsman

#256220 - 10/31/17 06:30 AM

So, they got by the one game I figured they might drop last night. 3 games in four nights, with the 3rd game against the 9-1-1 Kings with a red-hot Quick in goal. But noooo, Armstrong has done such a superb job of assembling a great roster, they take care of business. They play like men possessed. Intensity on every stride of every shift of every period of every game. Steen has played out of his mind. The 3rd and 4th lines are buzzing. Allen is playing very well and the D is coming together much faster than anyone anticipated. From what I have seen, a lot of the D's success is somewhat related to the intensity and great two-way play of the wingers and centers. The back-checking has been outstanding and the transition game, while still not 100% is much better than last year. Guys like Parayko and Dunn are great puck handlers for their age and experience level.

If you have been watching this team and can't see the chemistry, the intensity and skill level all coming together, well, you're hockey IQ is pretty low. Like Yeo says, it is just a good start and they have plenty to work on. But dayum, you have to be impressed with the boys to this point.

Go Blues (or Predators for some)!!!

--------------------

last_stand

#256221 - 10/31/17 08:40 AM

Agree nervous putting bergy and Jbo back into this hopper is risky. Both big contract players who will get their time on ice come hell or high water. Hope Im wrong but neither seem to fit the scheme they are running with right now.

Last night was a great match up, really good game. Blues were beat in the first and then took the 2nd and 3rd away from the Kings. That's 3-4 games now in a row where they closed the door in the third with authority.

They're playing as a team, every body doing their part and clearly enjoying it. Great start to a long ride.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#256222 - 10/31/17 10:54 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Agree nervous putting bergy and Jbo back into this hopper is risky. Both big contract players who will get their time on ice come hell or high water. Hope Im wrong but neither seem to fit the scheme they are running with right now.

Last night was a great match up, really good game. Blues were beat in the first and then took the 2nd and 3rd away from the Kings. That's 3-4 games now in a row where they closed the door in the third with authority.

They're playing as a team, every body doing their part and clearly enjoying it. Great start to a long ride.

Agreed

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#256223 - 10/31/17 04:03 PM

For now, bank every point they can .........

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/j...D29693696BC6801

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#256224 - 10/31/17 07:03 PM

Without a doubt they need to bank every one of these early points while they are riding this wave.

I worry about this team.....they are not big and they have not proven themselves to be tough.

I read the article.......and I don't know if I agree that the Blues can play a rough style game. We'll find out soon enough because if this keeps up they will have a giant target on their backs.

I'm hopeful.....but it's really early. I think they have caught some teams by surprise with the tempo they've played at. They've been relentless. That's hard to hold and they've not proven they can. They'll have to, in order to succeed, because they are not overly skilled. I hope they do.

I'll say this, Yeo looks confident and in charge. His team has obviously bought in. Maybe Yeo is a budding superstar, and that's huge. If you look at the history of successful teams in the NHL it's hard to argue that the coach is not one of the most important cogs in the wheel.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#256226 - 11/01/17 06:15 AM

Pound for pound, I'd say this team is plenty tough. You have to say who isn't, because I'm not seeing any soft hockey out there. Brutes, tough guys and fighters? No. But the hits, blocks and checking all over is very much a part of who they are and how they're doing this.

Scoring and scorers concern me. If Schwartz can keep his play up it will go a long way towards pushing the whole team forward. As you say, it's about the intensity of the team and whether they can keep it up and make it work against adjusting teams. A tall order.

Mike Yeo had a more "skilled" team in Minny yet he lacked the other horses needed and ran into disputes with a few of his star players and ended up getting fired. I think he's learned a lot since and made some adjustments of his own. Love his in game approach and the players are listening. He had other choices when he came here but chose a goofy deal with the Blues for good reasons, including a really good depth chart of youth in waiting which is coming in handy motivating a lot of this team.

We'll see. We'll see how they handle a string of losses and other problems too. But I still say we haven't seen a Blues team win THIS WAY that I can remember. Just hoping that's a good thing and not another mirage.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#256227 - 11/01/17 09:50 AM

We'll see. I'm out for 5 days of duck hunting.....you track 'em and keep us posted.

griffin

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 187 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16295

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page