CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)
H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: IIFID]
      #257909 - 10/03/18 10:13 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
For all you talk about "New Money" (it's almost like a fixation), you don't pay very close attention to them. "New Money" traded off most of the older players they could mid-season when they acknowledged they would suck this year. Several of the young players (especially some SP's) they received in return will be very productive MLB players in the next 2 seasons. Add in a player (Merrifield) who led all of baseball in both hits and stolen bases, a young shortstop (Mondesi) who is a stud offensively and defensively and they were very enjoyable to watch the last six weeks of the season. Some young talent (i.e. O'Hearn) got a chance to play earlier than expected and played well. They didn't kick the ball around much and ended up ranked as the 6th best defensive team in MLB (BTW The Cards ranked 30th). While I don't think they'll contend in 2019, they aren't that far away and should be fun to watch. We will have a couple of large, and admittedly not very smart, contracts (Kennedy & Gordon) falling off in a couple years and they will spend it on some free agents.

Why would I need to follow a team with a tradition of losing and bandwagon fans. I can read the standings and figure out what I need to. It’s really all that matters. You said that yourself. There is no fixation with a losing team. The fan base doesn’t show up in winning playoff run seasons. New money got rid of their players. They always do. They get new talent, and then get rid of it when the team under Performs

New money was here to stay remember. They were the DEAL. LEGIT. contenders for a long time. One year removed from a WS title and its 100 losses. Last 6 weeks of the season they were 23-21. That’s only 8 games above .500 on an entire season. I’m sorry. That’s doesn’t get you in the playoffs unless you play in the week ass AL Central........and it still doesn’t get you into the playoffs.i guess if barely above .500 baseball is something to be excited about crow on Rooster, crow on. Royals were 26-31 the last 2 months of the season also.

Having young talent doesn’t always make a difference. Cardinals had amazing young arms. They got tired late and faltered. Reyes got hurt again. Another young arm gone. Wacha gone. Another arm gone. More players got hurt. It takes depth behind a platoon of amazing young talent to help Out. KC might have some talent but not depth of talent. An injury or two and your back to the 100 loss season. Wear out those young arms early and you are back to 80 loss seasons.

I’m just sitting back here observing all the new money longevity and LEGIT contenders for years to come that was talked about. No Worries though........you still have some time to start your 2020 Royals baseball thread when y’all might contend again.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HAUS
member for now

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Paradise

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: last_stand]
      #257911 - 10/03/18 11:32 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
But gotta say not a fan of baseball in Denver with the thin air. Their team is made for that place I get it but just not the same game there, imo.

if the thin air bothers you, buy a ticket on the lower level so you don't have to climb as much..

otherwise, it's still baseball.

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: H2ODOG]
      #257912 - 10/03/18 12:11 PM

Quote:

H2ODOG said:
...I’m just sitting back here observing all the new money longevity and LEGIT contenders for years to come that was talked about. No Worries though........you still have some time to start your 2020 Royals baseball thread when y’all might contend again.

So...are you saying you think the Royals might be contend in 2020? I thought it was going to be 30 years before they contended again? Five years down from 30 is quite a change

About the same time period it has been since the Cardinals have been a contender

Oh look, a butterfly....back to you Tim

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: HAUS]
      #257914 - 10/03/18 12:13 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
Quote:

last_stand said:
But gotta say not a fan of baseball in Denver with the thin air. Their team is made for that place I get it but just not the same game there, imo.

if the thin air bothers you, buy a ticket on the lower level so you don't have to climb as much..

damn

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#257915 - 10/03/18 01:03 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Soooo....are you saying that Last Stand should NOT step up??

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: dabs]
      #257917 - 10/03/18 03:11 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Quote:

H2ODOG said:
...I’m just sitting back here observing all the new money longevity and LEGIT contenders for years to come that was talked about. No Worries though........you still have some time to start your 2020 Royals baseball thread when y’all might contend again.

So...are you saying you think the Royals might be contend in 2020? I thought it was going to be 30 years before they contended again? Five years down from 30 is quite a change

About the same time period it has been since the Cardinals have been a contender

Oh look, a butterfly....back to you Tim

I'm not saying the west side bandwagon watching folks will have something to do in 2020 but continue to talk about how they didn't make the playoffs yet another year. Tim is the guy saying they compete in 2020.

The Cardinals didn't make the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row. The last time that happened was 1999, instead of missing the playoffs for literally 28 years. There are worse things to do for 3 straight seasons.......like lose 100+ games a year for 3 straight seasons.

By all means though.....please continue on how New Money is here to stay and will compete for years to come. That's a paraphrase about what was said when yall make 2 straight post season trips. Then the wheels fell off the bus, everyone got off and 11,000 now show up for $2 beer nights. Hell the Royals have fallen so far we don't even get a Royal thread by an actual Royals fan in this dump, no matter how good or bad they are.

I would help yall , but it seems Royal's management is already doing such a damn fine job at it their self.

Carry on

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#257918 - 10/03/18 03:23 PM

Quote:

HAUS said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

Who knew a guy hitting a round ball with a round bat changed so much in LS’s mind in Denver. Either a guy can hit or he can’t. Colorado isn’t taking a bunch of .225-250 hitters and turning them into .275-300 hitters.

--------------------

MelModerator

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Re: 2018 Cardinals [Re: H2ODOG]
      #257982 - 10/18/18 01:36 PM

Well I watched the Royals to the bitter end. And I think they played much better after the All-Star break. We (and I say we because they are still my team) will be much better next year. The young kids showed they know how to play. After they got games under their belt the talent was apparent. The problem to be rectified during the off-season is bolstering their pitching. They won't win their division but I doubt they will lose 100 again next year.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1330 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5455

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page