CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread
      #257303 - 06/29/18 05:07 AM

The changes....they are a comin.

Don't know how many, how good, how bad, how big, how small....but a guy can can hope.

So here's to hoping DA hangs on to the good things. Thomas and Kyrou to name a few.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: last_stand]
      #257307 - 06/30/18 07:54 PM

Seriously? You have faith in this management team still? What have they shown you to give you even the slightest reason to believe? What has DA done in the last 8 years to make you think he can make them a Cup team?

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: IIFID]
      #257310 - 07/01/18 01:31 PM

ummmmmmm..........not sure what you read. I am not a DA fan.

But griff.....guess who's coming to dinner?

So far, the ONLY thing DA has done right is hold onto the prospects. And maybe the Bozak signing.

--------------------

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#257314 - 07/01/18 04:49 PM

I am hurt...

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

last_stand

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: Bubba]
      #257315 - 07/01/18 05:22 PM

Your boys kicked some lame ass butts this weekend.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

#257316 - 07/01/18 08:14 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
ummmmmmm..........not sure what you read. I am not a DA fan.

But griff.....guess who's coming to dinner?

So far, the ONLY thing DA has done right is hold onto the prospects. And maybe the Bozak signing.

Yeah.....with the salaries the Blouse is on the hook for and salary cap rules.....we can find a 4th grader to "do that right".

That team is junk under the current management.....period.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: griffin]
      #257317 - 07/01/18 08:32 PM

Hate to disappoint griff........but our man Army just pulled off a doosy.

Got to call a spade a spade and he just made this team into something. And Thomas and Kyrou are still Blue.

Not sure if I'm more excited about ROR or who is gone. Wait a minute, I'm sure now.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#257318 - 07/01/18 11:39 PM

I am certainly not awe inspired by this roster:
http://kwese.espn.com/nhl/team/roster/_/name/stl/st-louis-blues
So they have lots of folks to play center, they are weak on the wings after the first line and defense is still suspect. Speaking of suspect .. Hutton is 99% out the door and your #1 is going to be Sybil Jake Allen?
I'm glad you have faith in Armstrong & Allen- I sure as hell don't know why.

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

#257319 - 07/02/18 06:07 AM

Dude, NOBODY can out-Allen me. Get in line please.

And since you have reading comprehension problems, I am no fan of DA, as I said a post ago.

What I said was he greatly improved this team with yesterdays trade, bringing on a 27 year old 60 point center who set a league record for face off wins last year on a terrible team in exchange for Sobi and Berglund, two slugs who slowed this team down last year and two of DA's bad contacts, 7 mil moved to be exact. All the while, keeping his top prospects.

While Allen and Perron remind me of who DA really is, that was a great trade yesterday in anybody's book. Well, I guess almost any body.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#257320 - 07/02/18 06:12 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Speaking of suspect .. Hutton is 99% out the door and your #1 is going to be Sybil Jake Allen?

TRUTH

last_stand

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: wuchang]
      #257322 - 07/02/18 10:18 AM

99% out?

He signed with Buffalo Sunday morning. He's gone, sad to say.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#257323 - 07/02/18 10:43 AM

Berglund is gone. I am a little happier today than I was Sunday morning... Of course some of that had to do with a hangover but a good portion is due to Berglund being gone... My best guess is he will get injured by the midpoint of the season and then come back, playing as uninspired as ever...

The rest of the parts of that trade cannot be evaluated for 3 or 4 years. Most of the NHL writers and commentators are giving DA high marks for the trade. It seems to me, both teams accomplished what they wanted to accomplish.

The bigger issue for the '18-'19 season is getting a consistent performance out of Allen and the coaching staff getting this team playing a system that gets the most out of the talent they have. That includes 5-on-5 and the power play. If their special teams are the same as last year, they won't make the playoffs again.

3 months and 2 days until the season opener...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: The REAL 2018-2019 Saint Louis Blues Thread [Re: sptsman]
      #257326 - 07/02/18 12:06 PM

I'm good with getting rid of Berglund and Sobotka.....not sure also giving up Thompson and TWO draft choices had to happen....but OK. The 7.5 million cap hit with O'reilly could turnout to be as problematic as other high dollar hits if O'Reilly turns into the next Statsny....but OK.....that's how bad I wanted Berglund gone.

Perron for 4 years??? Jesus......REALLY??? Lemme guess, Armstong is the only person in hockey who doesn't know Perron is basically one big hit away from being gone from hockey with all the concussions he's had.

So Ok, overall I like the team better then I did Saturday....still not sure it can be salvaged or that they should stop now.....there is more dead weight to get rid of.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

sptsman

#257327 - 07/02/18 03:19 PM

This team has plenty of dead weight and in a perfect world they would unload all of it, let the youngsters develop with a few key veterans and hope to be a Cup contender in a few years. That ain't gonna happen. Like EVERY team in the NHL, dead weight is part of the program. No GM/ownership out there has a perfect record. The key is to limit the F-ups and have less dead weight than the other teams. My best assessment is that the Blues had a few more than they could afford last year. Some of it was really unforeseeable and some could have been avoided.

The other reason it ain't gonna happen is because this team needs to make the playoffs and win a round or two. This ownership is going be in financial trouble if they miss the playoffs one or two more years. Unlike the Caps and Pens and Hawks of a few years back, they can't tank for a few years and get primo #1 picks that make the road back and a Cup a real possibility. It is a proven path to success but takes deep pockets and a giant fan base that will tolerate it...

Overall, I still think DA is about as good as they are going to do for a GM. I am not even close to sold on Yeo but he can change my mind if he shows some ability to adjust this season and find an asst. coach that can draw up a power play that can succeed at better than 12%...

Go Blues!!

--------------------

last_stand

#257329 - 07/02/18 03:40 PM

Perron signing....The last play off series he had with the Blues he was benched for being a knuckle head. So it's like an old twilight zone rerun. DA is the star as he hallucinates grandeur. Apparently, for four years.

Spstman Buffalo is hoping to be where we are now in 3 years time. If they hang on to them, Berglund and Sobi will be floaters to try to get them more competitive and out of the basement, then they are gone.

But they got Thompson, a debatable first round talent, and have 3 firsts next year and they will get our second 2 years out........they will make their run in 4-5 years off the draft.

For us, in 2 years time Thomas and Kyrou are hopefully up being what they should be and there's a lot more in the pipeline as well. Steen and Jbow will be gone. Perron will hopefully get picked up by Seattle. They need to hold onto Schenn and somehow keep their D core together. This will be the best chance for Saint Louis in many moons. Thomas and Kyrou and other AHL'ers will be key.

And then there's one thing left. One big fat Matzo Ball. And I still hope there's another shoe to drop and he goes away before this is all over in a month.

Pending that head case, I'll say the Blues have now a valid shot for 3rd in the Central this year.

--------------------

sptsman

#257332 - 07/03/18 08:12 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Perron signing....The last play off series he had with the Blues he was benched for being a knuckle head. So it's like an old twilight zone rerun. DA is the star as he hallucinates grandeur. Apparently, for four years.

He was better for us the 2nd time than the 1st. He'll be even better for us the 3rd time. At least that's what we have to hope for. The key to Perron is realistic expectations. He's going to give you 15-20 mins per game, 15-20 goals, 50-75 points and play on a 2nd or 3rd line. He's 30 years old but still has a little speed left in him. He will slow a bit by the end of this contract but he should be a good, solid player for the next 2-3 years, barring injury...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#257333 - 07/03/18 09:18 AM

He's a mess and always has been. He's scored more than 50 pts. exactly TWICE in 11 seasons. His melon is now made of glass and he's NEVER been a team player.

Again.....I guess I'd rather have him then Berglund so there's that.

BUT....a four year deal for him is forking ridiculous.....period.

Typical DA move......in short order this will be another contract they can't dump.

Let's call this what it is......Steen II, the sequel.

--------------------

last_stand

#257335 - 07/03/18 12:02 PM

As griff knows, I was a fan his last time around and for the reg season it went pretty good. But the old knuckle head showed up at crunch time.

He shoots from the right, sorely needed, let's see what he can do but until he gets his head right for post season it means little.

I'm sure it took 4 years to get him, I sure as hell hope so, but DA has this penchant for aging players the likes of which I have never seen so no problem there for DP.

--------------------

sptsman

#257336 - 07/03/18 12:18 PM

Not saying it is a great signing but he is a known entity and a huge step up from Berglund and/or Sobotka. As much as I think the Blues have some good up-and-coming talent, they have a few too many question marks with some of them and a few guys like Fabbri (I hope he can play effectively this year but I wouldn't count on anything from him. There is a good chance he is done).

One thing is certain, they have changed the chemistry on this team. Not sure if it will be enough to make a difference but there are changes. We'll just have to see.

--------------------

last_stand

#257337 - 07/03/18 12:42 PM

I'm not on board with this guys projection for next year but I do see it coming soon for this team IF IF IF Thomas and Kyrou are the real deal and we get a GD goalie. I saw Kyrou skate last week at the ice center, kid looked really good with the puck and his skating.

Fabbri is pure gravy, hope we get some.

Sobi was nothing but one huge drag on this team last year. Ridding him of this team alone will do wonders.

https://www.nhl.com/news/ryan-oreilly-tyler-bozak-boost-blues-center-depth/c-299392976

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#257340 - 07/03/18 11:45 PM

Without question the Blouse have added more grit with O'Reilly and Bozak vs. Berglund and Sobotka.....so I'm, overall, good with these moves. Hell, as much as I dislike Perron (and REALLY can't understand a 4 year deal for him) I'll take him over Berglund.... so there's that.

They CAN'T be done though......this is not enough to warrant any idea that they are now a cup contender. Closer, ok....but not there yet. AND THEY CAN GET THERE. (watching DA the last few years, he's now done and ready to stand pat on good reviews from these moves....NO!!!!)

You cannot be a "cup contender" with goalie issues.....and they have BIG goalie issues......you guys know this.

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#257341 - 07/04/18 05:57 AM

Correcto.

I'm sure he is trying to move Allen, but who would want him? Blues could not do all of this and keep Hutton too so they are stuck with Allen unless he can dump him in on some deal yet to come.

I don't see a 4-6 million dollar goalie coming this year either way they go. As I see it, their REAL plan is to give Husso more time to be their #1. All the while of course giving Allen more and more shots to finally get it right and earn his pay.

Goalie position a mess, as usual. This one is Army's doing with that contract last year. Huge fly in the ointment.

--------------------

sptsman

#257351 - 07/05/18 08:41 AM

I'll throw a little gas on the Allen fire...

While I am not sold on this, I can see some logic to it. There are plenty of knowledgeable people in the hockey world that think goaltenders are an odd lot and most go through peaks and valleys. I listened to a pretty well respected NHL analyst documenting the rise and fall of multiple well-know netminders. In fact, he believes that nearly all of them will go through at least 2 or 3 stretches where you wonder how they ever even made it to the NHL. Guys like Miller, Quick, Crawford, etc. Even as recently as a few months ago, we saw Renni fall on his face, in the playoffs. Who wouldn't take him on their team? He documented bad stretches for Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. In short, it is a rare goalie that doesn't have ups and downs.

Now, this does not mean Allen will be solid. But we know he can play as good as anyone in the league. We've seen it. What we don't know is if he has exorcised his demons, or as I like to call them, his head-worms. At this point, we have no choice but to hope for the best. I suppose the good news is that Husso should be ready soon. If he can play, we'll have the most expensive back-up in the NHL...

As for the rest of the team, I'm still concerned about toughness and grit. I just don't see any guys on this team that the opponents look at and say, "Chit, we have to play that arsehole tonight..." or "This one is going to be a tough one boyz, we're playing the Blues..."

Off topic: If you get a chance to watch the documentary on the NHL network that chronicles the 1996 World Cup, watch it!! Lots of great interviews with legends on and off the ice.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#257352 - 07/05/18 11:43 AM

Just curious.....are these the same "plenty of knowledgeable hockey people" and "well respected NHL analysts" who you depend on to tell you that Doug Armstrong is a great GM?

griffin

--------------------

last_stand

#257354 - 07/05/18 03:14 PM

Multiple issues and problems with this theory, or hope, of Allen coming around to be just basic dependable. And believe me, I have been there and done that with him too.

One he has a history, mainly each and every year he has played, where the crap caves in on him out of the blue and no time I can recall where he turns it around in a couple of games or even weeks. He goes into the spin and spins and spins and spins. His bad mechanics can be spotted a mile away, leaving him flopping around like a fish out of water. Goals are scored from every where and there's no strength to any part of his game when he gets into this funk. Near post, far post, 5 hole or can't get back from god knows where ever he is. And those softies. Oh my.

Secondly and to me more importantly, because we are talking about fixing the above, the guy doesn't own up. 90% of the time at post game, he has reasons for everything, and half of that time it's about other players or how good the other team is. So I don't know how a guy gets better or turns things around more quickly when he can't admit he has issues keeping the basic fundamentals to be a #15 type goalie but rather instead continues to dwell on his periods of great play. This is a real live character issue.

Lastly, even when playing well enough, he pretty much will break down in the play offs, usually even within just one series, but he has never sustained good decent play in any post season I can recall.

A team needs a goalie to steal some games. And carry some off nights and just be dependable. You need a goalie team mates want to win for. A guy who comes through in the clutch when play offs come around.

I dunno. Is he 1 for 5 there? 2 for 5?? I see three strikes either way.

Johnson is supposedly a good potential back up. Bad last year, great the year before, so who knows.

Husso has said he'd prefer to stay down and play rather than ride pine and watch. I like that thinking. He seems to know what he needs. This kid looks like he's 12 years old but he is coming off some great stuff last year. Yeo and DA should maybe grant that request and when he comes up, as he will, let him have the reins because I'd rather give him the reps and watch that than Allen flopping around for another month missing the points this teams going to need to be competitive.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 8191 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 24772

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page