CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: griffin]
      #260465 - 10/03/19 01:26 PM

That's the best you got Griff? They doesn't even qualify as a rant? You must be tired or something...

What did you think of Faulk in his first game in a Note sweater?

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: IIFID]
      #260466 - 10/03/19 01:37 PM

I got tied up at work and didn't get to see a single minute.

How'd he look?

Listen here....I'm not going to have much this year. I really don't care if the Blues don't even win 20 games this season. I'm just going to watch some hockey and enjoy the team being the Stanley Cup Champs. I even went back in with a few friends on a season package of tickets.

Go Blue!

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#260468 - 10/04/19 06:00 AM

They came out strong scored 2 earned goals and then after the first pretty much did little to win the game and managed to in fact lose it in over time.

Petro was horrible on his wrong side, they switched him back in the third but it didn't get any better. Binnington actually played well.

This team is 20 of the 22 who won a Cup. I want to see a competitive PLAYOFF team this year. No excuses, including "hang over".

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: last_stand]
      #260470 - 10/04/19 10:02 AM

Blues give Schenn an 8 year $52,000,000 contract extension???

For forks sake......ridiculous.

griffin

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

last_stand

#260476 - 10/05/19 06:44 AM

Just wait....next up is Petro.

If he gives them NTC's, I might have to go down to Clark Street and strangle sumbody.

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#260480 - 10/06/19 11:32 AM

I have to agree with you two DA haters. WTF does he know about putting together a team? They need to get rid of him a find a GM that know what the fork he's doing...

As my father used to say, "Some people would biatch if you hung them with a new rope..."

Big win against Dallas last night. Game #02 isn't exactly "crunch time" but I am pretty sure these games count for exactly the same number of points as the ones at the end of the season... And I think it is important for them to establish some level of dominance in the Division, early in the season. I am one of the few that doesn't think Dallas got better with their moves. I think they got older (core players) and will pay a price for that. I want to see the Blues dominate them!! This is the start of that...

Sidebar:
Had a wake Friday night and a funeral Saturday morning for a rabid Blues fan (Terry 'Mac' McManus - my wife's counsin's husband). He died at 61 years old from pancreatic cancer. He was in his Blues jersey in the casket and just wanted to see a Cup win before he died. He got his wish. Less than 2 months ago, someone made some calls and Bob Plager came to visit him. I'm sure Mr. Plager figured it would be a quick meet and greet and he would be on his way. Once he arrived, they began talking and Mac showed him plies of notebooks, from his youth, where he kept a log of every game and the results of each one. Three hours later, Bob Plager said goodbye. Hats off to Bob Plager for doing that...

That is all... Go Blues!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

last_stand

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: sptsman]
      #260481 - 10/06/19 06:26 PM

They don't make Bobby Plagers any more. That is just another great story behind the authenticity of what a true great man is.

As for the Blues they looked better than the opener. I'll give them that. If you want winning hockey, you have to hope the improvement continues, and I am suspecting it will. Binnington again looked strong and that is certainly key to a good season.

Dallas has some older players but they have some great young forwards and defense men. And they have Bishop. They will likely be a factor this season within the division.

As for DA, if you're just happy having him no matter what he does going forward, you will indeed be a happy man. I am iffy on this Schenn deal....I HATE these forking 8 year deals that go into mid to late 30 something players.....and I pray he thinks 3 times before he caves into some Petro for life contract.

--------------------

sptsman

#260487 - 10/07/19 09:47 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
As for DA, if you're just happy having him no matter what he does going forward, you will indeed be a happy man. I am iffy on this Schenn deal....I HATE these forking 8 year deals that go into mid to late 30 something players.....and I pray he thinks 3 times before he caves into some Petro for life contract.

I am just happy having a GM that most teams would scoop up in a hearbeat and one that can and has built a Cup winner. A guy like DA has fogotten more than everyone on this board combined will ever know about hockey. He will make some bad deals like every GM does. But his track record is pretty good overall and winning a Cup is sort of proof of that.

Go Blue...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260488 - 10/07/19 09:53 AM

Oh great.....now winning one cup in 50 years is proof that anything the organization does is a good move.

griffin

--------------------

MB2

#260489 - 10/07/19 05:48 PM

Well, The Leafs have a parade on the day of the first game of the season.

We call it pall-bearer practice for all the fans they're going to need to carry to their grave, waiting to win a cup.

---------------

"This is how the St. Louis Blues won the Stanley Cup last season. With size and strength. Much was made about how they went from dead last on Jan. 1 to becoming the best team in hockey, but not enough was made about the style that they played. The Blues leaned on opponents. They took up space. They smothered skill and speed with layers upon layers of meat and muscle.

It was hard, heavy hockey. For Don Cherry, it was the right way to win — the only way."

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey/nhl...cup-cherry-says

sptsman

#260508 - 10/10/19 12:09 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Oh great.....now winning one cup in 50 years is proof that anything the organization does is a good move.

griffin

Nope, he/they will clearly make mistakes. All GM's/teams do. But it is proof that DA knows what the fork he's doing and there is a reason he is regarded as one of the top hockey minds in the NHL and international hockey.

But feel free to hate on him Walt...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260509 - 10/10/19 12:44 PM

Not a single thing you wrote makes up for the idea that giving someone 7 million per year that ends when they are 34 is not dumb......and if any team in hockey should know that its the Blues. It was a dumb move on DA's part.

If you want to talk about his ability to draft and nuture young players, we are on the same page when it comes to the GM. And grabbing the mucker Maroon was genius....and it will help push the Lightning further in the playoffs as well.

I've softened on letting him go because of Sammy Blaise....he's Maroon with skill....which goes to my second point about DA

BUT.....if he gives Petreangelo a long term deal I will want to find him and run over him.

--------------------

Edited by griffin (10/10/19 12:45 PM)

last_stand

#260510 - 10/10/19 05:52 PM

I'm thinking Schenn at 34 is better than Petro at 38.

And spare me DA's brilliance as he stumbled drunk right into Binnington.

They had that kid playing for the BRUINS farm team.

Look, DA gets props, I've stood up for him over the years when called for. I was ecstatic with last summers moves. But same goes with his fork ups. He gets called out.

That is all.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260511 - 10/10/19 06:41 PM

With his playing style. I see Schenn at 34 as pretty broke down. Giving him an 8 year contract is foolishness as far as I'm concerned. He's not Gretzky.....Schenn's come and go in the NHL.

--------------------

sptsman

#260513 - 10/11/19 05:15 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Look, DA gets props, I've stood up for him over the years when called for. I was ecstatic with last summers moves. But same goes with his fork ups. He gets called out.

I guess if that’s the shallow way you want to look at the GM position, feel free. I prefer to look at the whole picture and judge him on results and how he compares to other GM’s, in terms of the whole picture. Can you name me another GM that has had no contract buyouts? Has any GM done a better job of drafting and player development in the past 10 years (with less than premium picks). Overall his FA signings and contract extensions have been pretty good. He has some blunders in that category but no higher percentage than any other GM. His trades to move some of those bad deals have been very good. Oh, did I mention he is the architect of the 2019 Cup winning team? And who do you think put together that coaching staff and the special assistants like Larry Robinson? By all means, feel free to nitpick his every move you don’t like (or don’t understand). Personally, I’ll just give him the credit he’s due, acknowledge he is not perfect and enjoy the games...

Maybe you’d be happier with Buffalo’s GM...

Your approach is like having a good wife that brings home the bacon, cooks like a chef, keeps the house in order and takes care of all your manly needs but you feel it is necessary to point out that she doesn’t clean the bathrooms as well as she could...

Let me guess, you don’t like the way Stillman does some things either...

--------------------

last_stand

#260514 - 10/11/19 06:20 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Your approach is like having a good wife that brings home the bacon, cooks like a chef, keeps the house in order and takes care of all your manly needs but you feel it is necessary to point out that she doesn’t clean the bathrooms as well as she could...

And WTF is wrong with that?
bwaaaaaaaaaa

Sorry to point out a couple of DAisms I'm not in favor of. But then you say you aren't either but you just can't bring yourself to say so out loud.

You can do this. I know you can. Just tell her the bath room looks like chit and clean it up.

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

sptsman

#260517 - 10/11/19 02:52 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaa

You can do this. I know you can. Just tell her the bath room looks like chit and clean it up.

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

As long as there are manly needs, that will never happen. I can chit in the woods. I damn sure ain't gonna worry about a bathroom that is less than sterile...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260518 - 10/11/19 07:41 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaa

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

As long as there are manly needs, that will never happen. I can chit in the woods. I damn sure ain't gonna worry about a bathroom that is less than sterile...

Manly needs? Hell, I thought you must have threw in the towel once you started letting Armstrong hump your leg.

--------------------

sptsman

#260520 - 10/12/19 06:22 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

bwaaaaaaaaaa

bwaaaaaaaaaaa

Manly needs? Hell, I thought you must have threw in the towel once you started letting Armstrong hump your leg.

If he brings another Cup to St. Louis, I just may let him do that...

--------------------

sptsman

#260529 - 10/14/19 08:26 AM

I watched most of the Saturday night game and it was a replay of the entire first half of last season. They tried to play a game they can't play. Getting into a track meet with younger, faster teams will rarely end well for the Blues. This game was just more evidence of that...

Expect to see a solid performance this afternoon from the boyz. My guess is that Berube was not subtle in his assessmsnt of their performance and will have them playing their game today...

It would be nice if someone told Tarasenko and Schwartz the season has started and they can start playing any time now...

--------------------

MB2

#260536 - 10/14/19 05:30 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bQcsIlPVhw

sptsman

#260567 - 10/21/19 09:26 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
I watched most of the Saturday night game and it was a replay of the entire first half of last season. They tried to play a game they can't play. Getting into a track meet with younger, faster teams will rarely end well for the Blues. This game was just more evidence of that...

Expect to see a solid performance this afternoon from the boyz. My guess is that Berube was not subtle in his assessmsnt of their performance and will have them playing their game today...

It would be nice if someone told Tarasenko and Schwartz the season has started and they can start playing any time now...

Ditto
Ditto

Perhaps the boyz think their name on that Cup will scare opponents into just letting them win. I watched as much as I could of Saturday's game and just couldn't even watch the 3rd period. That was some sloppy, lazy, uninspired play. Hats off to the Habs. They took it to the Blues and the Blues were all to happy to have it handed to them.

I still am amazed at the inefficiency and overall poor execution of the power play. Lots of standing around, with what appears to be no real plan of attack and a continual hope that passes will make it through lanes that have opposing legs and sticks in them. And their aversion to one-timers on the PP is baffling. Every shot they take from more than 10 feet away has to be set-up and gives the goalie all the time in the world to get square to the shot. I thought they hired an new coach to fix it??? If they did, he needs to be fired and find someone that knows how to design a PP that this team can execute.

As usual, the officiating Saturday was horrific but that's nothing new and certainly wasn't the reason they lost. Jake Allen deflecting in a 100'+ shot, 6 seconds into the 2nd period seemed to be all the excuse the boyz need to lay down and let the Habs have their way.

I gues this is what a Cup hangover looks like.

We'll see what team shows up tonight. I picked the Avs to be in the Western Conf Finals this year and they are not disappointing.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#260568 - 10/21/19 09:29 AM

Is the PP coach in hockey like the batting coach in baseball?

If he is--- he won't last to mid season

sptsman

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: wuchang]
      #260570 - 10/21/19 03:46 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Is the PP coach in hockey like the batting coach in baseball?

If he is--- he won't last to mid season

The PP coach in hockey isn't a defined position. Sometimes it is the Head Coach. Sometimes it is one of the assitants on the bench and sometimes it is a specialist. In the Blues case, it appears to be the guy in section 116 selling cotton candy during the games. If it isn't him, maybe they should let him give it a try...

I heard a stat during Saturday's game that the Blues haven't scored on a 5-3 PP since December of 2016. That is one pathetic stat but very believable...

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260571 - 10/21/19 07:27 PM

Oh....the Blues win the cup by playing the heaviest game in the playoffs and beating opponents into submission and now we are going to pretend they are a skilled club.

I was at the Thurs game against the Canucks....I think I'll wait until January before I buy another 14.00 beer.

This team, as it sits, will continue to have scoring problems until they decide its time to start making their opponent pay.

Thursday must have been "we don't hit" night and I didn't even get the t-shirt.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 1416 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17159

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page