CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: sptsman]
      #260683 - 11/07/19 07:47 AM

I know "ever" is an overused word......but in terms of BEST....that second period by the Blues last night might be hard to beat. They looked unbeatable for 20 minutes and the frustration for the Canucks was obvious.

It's a shame about Steen, because I agree it looked like every knee injury you have ever seen that sidelines someone for a season/career. I've not been a Steen fan, but he's been playing good hockey.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: griffin]
      #260684 - 11/07/19 08:17 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
I know "ever" is an overused word......but in terms of BEST....that second period by the Blues last night might be hard to beat. They looked unbeatable for 20 minutes and the frustration for the Canucks was obvious.

It's a shame about Steen, because I agree it looked like every knee injury you have ever seen that sidelines someone for a season/career. I've not been a Steen fan, but he's been playing good hockey.

Yep since last january he's been very good and I think a great help to the younger players. Ironic for me that they may have lost him now.

I'm an Allen critic but since in the back up roll I've become resigned to him playing and want him to succeed and man he did that last night.

Word is Fabbri asked for a trade over the summer.

WTF? He's looking for an easier road back than the one he saw here.

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

last_stand

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: last_stand]
      #260687 - 11/11/19 08:12 AM

That's 7 in a row, 5 of them in OT.

Two more games then check out this schedule of 7 games from 11/19 to 11/30

Tampa
Flames
Nash
Nash
Tampa
Dallas
Pitt

Yikes!

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#260730 - 11/20/19 01:32 PM

I know the Bolts don't have the record they did a year ago, but that is a very fast and talented team. Amazing job by the D to shut them down and just enough offense to get it done! A very good win!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

Re: 2019-2020 St. Louis Blues Thread [Re: IIFID]
      #260731 - 11/20/19 02:23 PM

IFID do you have Center Ice package?

It was a big win after the 3 game skid. Two 5 on 5 goals which the team has been lacking in and then finally a good win in regulation too.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260736 - 11/22/19 04:23 PM

I do not.
The Note keeps losing players to serious injuries but other keep stepping up - especially some of the kids. Sanford and Thomas were both impressive last night. I thought they played really well last night against the Flames and Binnington was a stone wall. Did you see the hit Dunn put on that dude? DAYYUUMMM!

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

last_stand

#260738 - 11/23/19 08:58 AM

Lots of chit making this happen. Binnington, huge team depth, Perron with a career season to date and a guy who never gets much attention but JBo's amazing play at the end of his career is crazy.

A tough stretch of games to close out the month. Musturd turds in town for tonight they were booed in their own house last game.......hope the boys are up for a beat down.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260757 - 11/26/19 02:08 PM

Back to back losses to the Preds. Both times give them an early 2 goal lead...

--------------------

last_stand

#260762 - 11/26/19 06:40 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Back to back losses to the Preds. Both times give them an early 2 goal lead...

I'm quite extra special annoyed losing to those whiners and divers.

Notes tending is good, they have to find ways to score.

For those Senko bashers, you are seeing the effect of not having him on the ice. It's not just his points, it's his presence that is missing.

Senk KK down, this is not a move I agree with. We'll see what Troy Brouwer can do, but skating fast is not one of them.

I trust in Chief. Just place 3rd in division and let's get back at it.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260763 - 11/26/19 08:29 PM

I don't ask for much....just some fight from them.

I'm good.

There will be ups and downs. They are weathering the injury storm just fine. I call the best goaltending tandem.in the league.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260764 - 11/27/19 09:14 AM

I haven't been a JA fan for some time but he was standing on his head in the last game.
They are definitely offensively challenged. I cannot believe Faulk hasn't scored yet. So close on so many occasions - one has to go in eventually!

--------------------

sptsman

Loc: Missouri

#260772 - 11/29/19 08:37 AM

Sending KK down was likely the plan all along. You can't bring him up and play him 6-8 mins a game. That makes no sense. Let him play in SA and get 15-20 mins a game. They likely just wanted him to get a taste of the big show and use him as a fill-in until Brouwer's Visa stuff got resolved. Based on what I saw, I would have been fine with him staying, if they could have gotten him 10+ playing time, per game.

Tonight's game will be a challenge. Dallas will be as up for a game as they have been in a looong time. Hopefully, the Blues will respond in kind. I really don't think the Stars are too much better for their off-season moves but they have been hot after a slow start. If the Blues can shut down the Seguin line, they'll have half the battle won. It's going to take quite an effort, with all of the injuries and the suspension to Bortuzzo.

It is going to be tough to stay in 1st place with all the injuries. So far, they have shown resiliance. Let's hope that continues. I can see them hitting a wall and going into a little funk. I hope not but it wouldn't shock me. Glad to see the netminders playing well and even more glad to see Berube getting Allen in there on a regular basis.

Go Blue!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260779 - 11/30/19 09:21 AM

Wow! I continue to be impressed. They get another one on the road by playing heavy, defensive hockey. I really think the Note controlled the majority of the game. And JA was really good again.

--------------------

last_stand

#260782 - 11/30/19 06:21 PM

That was impressive.

That was the first game of the year where I expected a loss and then these guys come up with that, JA included.

A huge statement to the league and in particular to the up and coming Stars.

On an aside....Came across this video....I assume it's the same one being broadcast tonight on HNIC.

I'll say this. Athletes aren't supposed to do this or think this way. In a strange way this is actually refreshing and I hope in the end it truly works out for #21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70QBz-MVsVQ&feature=youtu.be

--------------------

sptsman

#260793 - 12/02/19 01:40 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
That was impressive.

That was the first game of the year where I expected a loss and then these guys come up with that, JA included.

A huge statement to the league and in particular to the up and coming Stars.

On an aside....Came across this video....I assume it's the same one being broadcast tonight on HNIC.

I'll say this. Athletes aren't supposed to do this or think this way. In a strange way this is actually refreshing and I hope in the end it truly works out for #21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70QBz-MVsVQ&feature=youtu.be

Video unavailable... By #21, I assume this is about Berglund and his head worms.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260800 - 12/03/19 06:05 PM

Am I a bad person that I was laughing at the 27 Hawks fans who were left in the stands booing their team off the ice last night??
And I know the Hawks suck but they are still an NHL team and that was still a pretty dominating performance last night. I like the energy that Walker brings. He's a feisty sumbitch!

--------------------

sptsman

#260809 - 12/05/19 08:26 AM

The Hawks are the victims of poor planning in a salary cap sport. You can't hand 3/4 of your cap money to 4 or 5 players and expect to fill-in the other positions with league minimum salary players. And it goes from bad to worse when one or more of those highly paid players has an off-year and/or injuries.

The Blues will have to make some very hard decisions the next 2 off-seasons and those decisions will define this team for the next 5-10 years. Obviously, Petro is the biggest one but there are others that will want and deserve to get paid. I would not be shocked to see some moves this season, before the trade deadline. They have some wiggle room when a few of the older players' contracts are up this year and next. They'll let them walk and that cap space will be available. But certainly not enough to keep everyone. I suspect they will invest heavily in the scouting and AHL team. The only way to stay at the top is to develop within, especially when you're drafting late in the first round every year.

I’ve taken chit for it here, in the past but I have been a staunch defender of Doug Armstrong since he took over as GM. Yes, he’s made a few blunders but show me a GM that hasn’t. In his entire tenure with the Blues, he’s never had to buy out a contract. He’s been masterful at correcting his mistakes. Sure, Buffalo may never do another deal with him but what he did with the O’Reilly trade was akin to the Brock / Broglio trade. I am confident he has a plan and will execute it. Then it is up to the players to play up to their potential.

Go Blue!!

--------------------

last_stand

#260812 - 12/05/19 05:01 PM

DA has had his share of lemons, some have been pretty bad.

And if injuries had not occurred, there was no Jordan Binnington magic last season, no Cup, no "DA is a genius" type claims to fame. He wanted Binner to go to the echl but Binner said no so he had Binnington buried on a Boston farm club.

Not taking away from him, getting Schenn, landing O'Reilly for near peanuts...and knowing most all Cup winners have their "stories from no where" so absolutely he deserves this championship but dude .....let's keep it real.

And let's see what happens with Petro. What I don't understand is paying for the past when it's the next 8 years that should be the determining factor in how much and how long to pay a guy. As is I'm wondering about Faulk but I think he'll come around.

Cap will make a big jump when the upcoming TV package is settled. There's room for a lot of good and expensive decisions to be made but there's not room for hanging anchors around the neck of this franchise for the foreseeable future.

I think there's an impasse. I think Petro wants Doughty/Karlsson type money. If DA goes that far he is being played just as the Sharks are for doing it. It's bad enough paying him 9 mil for 8 years. I wouldn't do that but I have to think DA will.

Let Petro go find his oasis to finish up his career. Let him go to Toronto and live with all that pressure and one of the leagues worst managed teams. Move the kids? No problem. Leave the Lou, where he's been for 10 years? No problem.

DA has some cards he's holding. I hope to hell he uses them.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260816 - 12/07/19 08:37 PM

Incoming goalie controversy.

--------------------

sptsman

#260821 - 12/09/19 08:39 AM

Quote:

last_stand said:
And if injuries had not occurred, there was no Jordan Binnington magic last season, no Cup, no "DA is a genius" type claims to fame. He wanted Binner to go to the echl but Binner said no so he had Binnington buried on a Boston farm club.

If it weren't for those two grand slams, our pitcher had a fantastic outing... That is your logic!!

DA has some bad deals but all the good stuff that happened was dumb luck? Please...

Nobody ever said "DA is a genius". What I have said all along is that he is universally accepted as a top tier GM and overall hockey mind by nearly everyone connected with the NHL and international hockey. You don't get to the the GM of Team Canada because they like your choice of suits. If he were not with the Blues tomorrow, he would have a position within days.

Enough with the dumbarse statements about Binnington being on a Boston farm team. What you need to know is that he was part of the Blues system because of DA and was available to the Blues when they needed him because if DA and he was called up by DA. Can you at least have enough sense to give him credit for that? Was there a little luck involved? Perhaps. Was there some bad luck involved with other deals? Perhaps.

At the end of the day, he's done an above average job and most NHL teams would love to have him. If you have a hard-on for him, that's something you'll just have to come to grips with. There is no such thing as a perfect GM. DA is one of the better ones...

--------------------

last_stand

#260822 - 12/09/19 11:22 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

last_stand said:

If it weren't for those two grand slams, our pitcher had a fantastic outing... That is your logic!!

DA has some bad deals but all the good stuff that happened was dumb luck? Please...

Nobody ever said "DA is a genius". What I have said all along is that he is universally accepted as a top tier GM and overall hockey mind by nearly everyone connected with the NHL and international hockey. You don't get to the the GM of Team Canada because they like your choice of suits. If he were not with the Blues tomorrow, he would have a position within days.

Enough with the dumbarse statements about Binnington being on a Boston farm team. What you need to know is that he was part of the Blues system because of DA and was available to the Blues when they needed him because if DA and he was called up by DA. Can you at least have enough sense to give him credit for that? Was there a little luck involved? Perhaps. Was there some bad luck involved with other deals? Perhaps.

At the end of the day, he's done an above average job and most NHL teams would love to have him. If you have a hard-on for him, that's something you'll just have to come to grips with. There is no such thing as a perfect GM. DA is one of the better ones...

I'll give him above average, your own words.

I'd say your own reading comprehension is below average. He gets due credit for the Cup, sorry if the superlatives don't suit you. I like him right where he sits as Blues GM, warts and all.

The rest of your description ....I think it's you who has the hard on dude.

--------------------

last_stand

#260840 - 12/17/19 08:36 AM

The boys played the first and third as Chief wants and that was enough.

Perry with the hatty. And depth players are so key for this team.

A big win indeed.

--------------------

sptsman

#260843 - 12/17/19 05:29 PM

Perron was something and as everyone knows I am probably one of his biggest fans but... I really don't like seeing the 3rd goal of a hat trick being an empty netter. I think it cheapens the hat trick.

Pretty sure Jordan Kyrou wants to stay up with the big club. And it looks like he should.

Pretty sure Rob Thomas is going to stay at center. Having he and O'Reilly centering the #1 an 32 lines is about as good as it gets. And to think he is only 20 years old. Man, this kid is the real deal.

Go Blues

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260844 - 12/18/19 09:41 PM

Although I have not been a fan, I have said many times that I thought Perron has some of the best hands in hockey.

This season I have watched him time and again using his body to protect the puck and its pretty damn impressive....very few in the league can hold possession of the puck like he has learned to do.

Without question they could not have weathered the loss of Tarasenko, Sundquist, and Steen without his play.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260845 - 12/19/19 08:26 AM

Who stole Griff's computer?

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 1447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 17159

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page