CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Trading Post >> Sports

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
MB2

Reged: 12/14/05

Binnington's hometown *DELETED*
      #259912 - 07/16/19 09:32 PM

Post deleted by MB2

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sptsman

Loc: Missouri

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: MB2]
      #259914 - 07/17/19 08:01 AM

Not sure what happened to fastpitch softball. When I was growing up several of my friends' dads played and we went to countless games (and taverns afterwards). By the time I was old enough to play, in the early 80's there were no leagues left to speak of. You could fine 100 slowpitch games on any given night and dozens of slowpitch tournaments every weekend. I played in many...

I recall going to the games and watching Junior Hemsath mow down batter after batter with pitches that did things you just couldn't hit. The 3rd baseman would end up 15' from the plate because half the guys knew a bunt was their best bet and Jr. would hum a fastball that no human could pull down the 3rd base line. Those were some competitive guys and some damn competitive games. I never saw any fights but plenty of jawing and plenty of threats. And once they finished and went to the tavern, we were given sodas and all the quarters needed to play shuffleboard and pinball until their pitchers were dry and we took a wobbly ride home...

Now my kids are all grown and they tell stories of how their dad took them to slowpitch games and then to the picnic tables at the park for pitchers of beer or to the K of C hall for the same... I gave them a soda and told them to stay in sight at the playground or just don't get lost because your mother will be furious if I don't bring you home...

Oh the memories...

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

MB2

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: sptsman]
      #259915 - 07/17/19 10:53 AM

I spent my teens and early 20's here, however, most of my summers on the road. Still, I'd go sometimes, because of the great games.

Fastball never became a 'pro' sport. In Toronto, they put up a fence and tried to charge admission, and people stopped going, so they pulled the fence down, to get people to go back. I have heard of one team that paid $25.00/player/game. Air-conditioning, TV, and The Blue Jays rolled into the homes, and people stopped going altogether.

I was in one of those little 'after game haunts', the other night. It's now a run-of-the-mill chain restaurant. Boring menu, boring subdued clientele, no bikers, distant waitresses dressed in black jeans and polo shirts, unanimated children afraid to move from their chairs.

I had a friend was a big baseball player,
Back in high school,
He could throw that speedball by you,
Make you look like a fool, boy.

Saw him the other night at this roadside bar,
He was walking in, I was walking out,
We went back inside, sat down, had a few drinks,
But all he kept talking about...Glory Days.

last_stand
the gay card thrower Call Me Ragnar

Loc: anywhere but "HomeofToto"

#259916 - 07/17/19 04:59 PM

Your the best MB!

Keep 'em comin ....it's like my sister in law is right here with me!

bwaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------
Sometimes you got it sometimes you get got.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: the most dangerous city in Ame...

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: last_stand]
      #259917 - 07/17/19 07:56 PM

Quote:

last_stand said]
Your the best MB!

Keep 'em comin ....it's like my sister in law is right here with me!

bwaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh geez......now you've forking done it.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

rb.

Loc: mo

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: griffin]
      #259918 - 07/17/19 08:22 PM

Who remembers the corkball pits which used to be all over STL? We used to go as kids and the beer flowed and we all got unlimited cokes and burnt hotdogs. Those were the days.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: rb.]
      #259919 - 07/18/19 07:38 AM

My little league baseball coach was a corkball guy....we loved to go to those pits with him. He also kept a gallon pail of bottlecaps in his garage, the kind with the cork inside, and different lengths of broom handles. We played caps for hours and hours as kids. My right shoulder has been a mess for years.....and I know exactly why.

--------------------
"The Irish are one race of people for whom psychoanalysis is of no use whatsoever." - Sigmund Freud

dabsAdministrator

Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #259920 - 07/18/19 11:00 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
My little league baseball coach was a corkball guy....we loved to go to those pits with him. He also kept a gallon pail of bottlecaps in his garage, the kind with the cork inside, and different lengths of broom handles. We played caps for hours and hours as kids. My right shoulder has been a mess for years.....and I know exactly why.

What did your Farrah Fawcett poster have to do with corkball?

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: dabs]
      #259921 - 07/18/19 12:30 PM

What does my wrist have to do with my shoulder?

--------------------

rb.

Loc: mo

#259922 - 07/18/19 01:08 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

My best friends family owned a bar and grocery store on the corner up the street. We had a never ending supply of caps and handles from old mops at the store. Bottle caps was almost a religion in our neighborhood. When we got older we came up with a couple cork balls and bats and used to play in the summer in the daytime. Both bottle caps and cork ball were fun for us. We also played quoits with washers and holes in the ground. Forerunner of todays washers. And bottle caps was a great way to throw your arm out.

Edited by rb. (07/18/19 01:09 PM)

MB2

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: rb.]
      #259925 - 07/18/19 07:33 PM

Quote:

rb. said:
Quote:

griffin said:

My best friends family owned a bar and grocery store on the corner up the street. We had a never ending supply of caps and handles from old mops at the store. Bottle caps was almost a religion in our neighborhood. When we got older we came up with a couple cork balls and bats and used to play in the summer in the daytime. Both bottle caps and cork ball were fun for us. We also played quoits with washers and holes in the ground. Forerunner of todays washers. And bottle caps was a great way to throw your arm out.

I love these accounts of how it was. And, yes, my buddy's shoulder is out.

I imagine most sports are the same now, but my when my husband coached, he'd buy those kids beer for after the game, like your coach would do things with you. Today, in the OJHL, even if your kid wanted to attend a non-approved power-skating course during the summer, the league has to release them to do so, and they DON'T and WON'T. It's like they own these kids.

Give them washers and a pile of dirt, see what they come up with.

So, after the usual, "How ya' doin's and finding out how everybody else was, I said to my buddy, "What do you think of Binnington?"

He says, "chit, is he ever lucky, The Leafs didn't sign him!"

I spit my beer out.

last_stand

#259928 - 07/19/19 04:07 PM

In our twenties, had group of buds and we did fuzz ball.

In the rain, on a tennis court. And all balls pitched came out of a bucket of water soaking wet.

Don't ask me why, but it was a blast.

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #259929 - 07/19/19 07:08 PM

In my old neighborhood it was tape ball. Masking tape rolled up the size of a golf ball and a broom stick for the bat.

Almost a daily activity over in James Shelby’s backyard.

MB2

#259961 - 07/25/19 10:58 AM

My older brother and I had one badminton bat, and no birdies, but we decided to play baseball, anyway - with a golf ball.

So, I pitched the golf ball to him, he nailed me right in the middle of the forehead. It didn't count for anything, but I'll never forget it!

I believe it's normal, for every generation to want better for their own kids, than what they had growing up.

Not sure that's a good thing, all of the time, but it didn't stop me from taking my 3 year old granddaughter fishing this Sunday.

Edited by LongTimeGone (07/25/19 10:59 AM)

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#259966 - 07/25/19 05:01 PM

I had a rock.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

MB2

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: Bubba]
      #259967 - 07/25/19 05:46 PM

Quote:

Bubba said:
I had a rock.

And year's later, they were selling them as eco-friendly pets, and your family had more than one rock.

Trendsetter.

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#259968 - 07/26/19 05:58 AM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Quote:

Bubba said:
I had a rock.

And year's later, they were selling them as eco-friendly pets, and your family had more than one rock.

Trendsetter.

post of the day .......so far

MB2

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: wuchang]
      #259970 - 07/26/19 10:37 AM

Saturday night I was at a Stag and Doe for a friend of my kid's.

I can't tell you how many times, I heard from teachers and others, how grim the future looked for him, and his for his friends.

They went to school, worked part time, played organized sports, spent every dollar of their own on cars, dirt bikes, snowmobiles. If you gave them a pile of dirt and a patch of forest, they'd clear themselves a track, and form their own jumps. If they crashed, it, they'd fix it on their own. If there was a skiff of ice in the school parking lot, they'd be out there playing chicken in their cars. If one of them could afford a fast car, they'd be out on the hilly roads, trying to "get air".

If they partied, it was usually with one set of parents in attendance, and by the way, those parents were in attendance on Saturday too.

Well, today, these kids are slaying boomers. They are business people, tradespeople, teachers, architects building the world, and in public service. They work with their brains, backs and hands. There isn't one of them, who couldn't leave their in-demand job for 10 at higher-wages. At least one couple has been together for half of their lives, home owners, and most of them are parents themselves now.

My wild and raucous tribe, who a school counsellor once told me could be expected to change careers - not jobs, careers - up to 17 times in their lifetimes, because the school, had no idea, how tech was going to affect their lives.

My only wish on Saturday night, was that I could find some of those nay-sayer "authorities".

You are killing me Smalls!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259971 - 07/26/19 12:35 PM

Yeah, well, that's all great.......but what the hell is a Stag and Doe?

I swear........forking Canucks.

griffin

--------------------

sptsman

#259972 - 07/26/19 01:02 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

Was wonderin' the same thing. Just like the good ol' days, I haven't a clue what was being said but the Stag and Doe thing sure peaked my interest. I just figured it was some breeding party, like swingers...

--------------------

MB2

#259973 - 07/26/19 01:25 PM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

griffin said:

griffin

Was wonderin' the same thing. Just like the good ol' days, I haven't a clue what was being said but the Stag and Doe thing sure peaked my interest. I just figured it was some breeding party, like swingers...

It's a gathering put on by a couple's wedding party and it's full of carnival games and draws. A good one, will raise money for the bride and groom.

Some are games of strength. Others are games of luck.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259974 - 07/26/19 01:38 PM

Hmmmm......down here we just do Stags, or Does, and it's all mostly drinking games. A good one will cost you about 200.00 each and at least one night in jail and/or a missed work day.

--------------------

MB2

#259975 - 07/26/19 01:51 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Hmmmm......down here we just do Stags, or Does, and it's all mostly drinking games. A good one will cost you about 200.00 each and at least one night in jail and/or a missed work day.

There are drinking games too, but these are games like driving spikes through boards, holding a 24 case of bottled beer over your head - the kind of things that are not necessarily conducive to being wasted, and old.

The stag won't be near here, will last a 4 day weekend, or even in the province, so....

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259976 - 07/26/19 01:54 PM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Quote:

griffin said:

There are drinking games too, but these are games like driving spikes through boards, holding a 24 case of bottled beer over your head - the kind of things that are not necessarily conducive to being wasted, and old.

The stag won't be near here, will last a 4 day weekend, or even in the province, so....

Ok........what???

--------------------

MB2

#259977 - 07/26/19 02:44 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Quote:

griffin said:

Ok........what???

And, just like that - being lumberjack is back in style again!

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259978 - 07/26/19 03:36 PM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:

The green dog sleeps in the blue castle at dawn...repeat: the green dog sleeps in the blue castle at dawn.

Over.

--------------------

MB2

#259979 - 07/26/19 03:53 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:

The green dog sleeps in the blue castle at dawn...repeat: the green dog sleeps in the blue castle at dawn.

Over.

It shall be far, from the madding crowd, for a 4 day stretch. Exact location, not disclosed. Over.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259980 - 07/26/19 04:00 PM

Clear.

The right turn is the wolf in the night. Bury the pork chop under the willow tree by the purple brook near the fox den.

--------------------

MB2

#259981 - 07/26/19 04:13 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Clear.

The right turn is the wolf in the night. Bury the pork chop under the willow tree by the purple brook near the fox den.

The end game is existentially a mute point.

British literature: I will die for duty.
French literature: I will die for love.
German literature: I will die for greatness.
Russian literature: Yeah. I'm the guy that killed those other three guys.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259982 - 07/26/19 04:25 PM

The left side of the triangle holds the hummingbird. Do not tarry at the corner where the wart-hog sees the tiger. Walk barefoot there.

Clue - Do not google existentially, you boneheads. You are not ready for existentially, you can't handle existentially!

Over.

--------------------

MB2

#259983 - 07/26/19 05:47 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
The left side of the triangle holds the hummingbird. Do not tarry at the corner where the wart-hog sees the tiger. Walk barefoot there.

Clue - Do not google existentially, you boneheads. You are not ready for existentially, you can't handle existentially!

Over.

Nihilism = nothing really matters.

Hockey player says, nuh-uh. The win really matters, especially when you've been talking to each other about it, on and off for at least 15 years.

To make something better, for the next ones.....

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259984 - 07/26/19 06:08 PM

Meet the next ones at the crossing. Set the goldfish bowl in the barrel and seal the green box.

We thought you were a frog.

Over.

--------------------

MB2

#259985 - 07/26/19 07:39 PM

Nay, though I speak the language.

Both learning it, and curbing my own use of expletives helped in business. It is easier to learn things when you are young, than to unlearn a habit later.

My first husband sleeps with the fishes, as of Valentine's Day this year. He played hockey with The Leafs farm team, The Toronto Marlies and was scouted by The Toronto Argonauts too.

The rest of his life he tossed away, including his kids.

I'm not him. Another habit that I broke at a young age.

The groom at the the party last Saturday, was a really good hockey player. At 6' 3" and probably 220, he was scouted too, but more than likely, as a goon. So, he said, "Thanks, but no thanks."

He was one of those, who had a choice.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259986 - 07/26/19 08:22 PM

The yellow fish chooses the blue dog, over.

--------------------

MB2

#259988 - 07/27/19 03:35 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rroZv3rFEoU

last_stand

#259989 - 07/27/19 05:41 AM

bwaaaaaaaa

MB, can you tell us the story behind the "Argonauts"?

I've wondered my whole life about this....

--------------------

MB2

#259990 - 07/27/19 12:09 PM

A couple of points here.

Don't be hating on people, they aren't ALL the same. So, it's a waste of time.

I don't believe anyone has ever seen me take a swing at the USA, its flag, and especially not a vet.

Respect, yes. What I did learn during Vietnam, was this....the system itself is wacky.

So, as clear as the blue line on a Smart TV, here's my NoDakian hockey story, that the snoops might find enlightening.

We have neighbours down south, who are from North Dakota. He is an optometrist, and both he and she are excellent golfers. We have been friends with them, since we've been there.

Back in the day, he was studying and playing hockey for the University of Minnesota.

Then they called his draft number. He went to basic, and one day before he was ready to ship out overseas, some head honcho with the air force said to him, "You are an excellent player, and we have a forces hockey team that we'd like you to coach. Will you?" Without missing a beat, he answered, "Yes."

He spent the duration of his enlistment, stateside, coaching hockey for the Air Force, playing against other forces with teams.

He's not very tall, but stocky and he hits a ball, like a slapshot.

After he finished his "tour", without stepping foot in Vietnam, he played for years in Japan, because there we was considered a "big" guy.

True story. Sometimes you have to be good, to get lucky.

Edited by LongTimeGone (07/27/19 12:09 PM)

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#259991 - 07/27/19 01:15 PM

The sushi is in the red jug by the green cooler.

Over.

--------------------

MB2

#259992 - 07/28/19 06:42 AM

The leprechaun is on the move.

Follow the exit door to the right, and follow the yellow line.

Over.

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #259994 - 07/28/19 11:19 AM

Can a foreigner get a decoder ring or maybe even translation book through Amazon

MB2

#259995 - 07/28/19 06:56 PM

Quote:

dabs said:
Can a foreigner get a decoder ring or maybe even translation book through Amazon

With your super-sleuth, genuine, all-knowing, duck-hunting powers, would you kindly direct me to the quote in the mounds of Blues play by plays here that says. "They should have put Binnington in goal at the beginning of the year." "They should be paying this kid more, mid-season."

They've had him under contract, for a few years, and yes, I was aware of that.

He was no super-star, that's for certain, drafted 88th, but he IS one of our kids. I think 98% of The Blues are.

That draft system is screwed up too.

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #259997 - 07/28/19 08:25 PM

It is the third post down from the top on page 423 of the other thread.

Two more days and it will make three weeks since the last time it happened but a week before the other time.

MB2

#259998 - 07/28/19 09:22 PM

Thanks. Obviously, I don't get all The Blues home games on TV here, so I don't respond, so there's no point in reading.

TV broadcasting here is different. Videos, links, and news broadcasts are often made unavailable here, if there are no broadcast rights sold in this area. It happens more often than you might know.

It's also something to think about as the NHL gets a new TV deal.

Indycar (negotiated a new TV deal this year) and only allotted that The Indy 500 would be included in a free cable format. The balance of the races could only be streamed for a price. Fans raised hell, to get them to telecast The Toronto Indy for free, and they caved, including it on cable.

Americans, think it's censorship, but it is not. It's sports business.

It is the reason though for our often muted response, to many things.

Edited by LongTimeGone (07/28/19 09:23 PM)

sptsman

#260000 - 07/29/19 06:31 AM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:

Uh, no... Americans don't think it is censorship. They just think most Canadians are goofy and are particularly glad we don't live there. A nice place to visit, to be sure but no desire to live there. You elected a 16 year-old girl, trapped in a man's body to run your country and make the PC madness here look like child's play. If 3/4 of the forkin' place wasn't a glacier, you'd have migration of world's dregs that make the European and American immigration problems look like a minor issue.

TV contracts for anything are all about the money. People sit in a room and make business decisions. Can we get more money for the event(s) from advertisers and broadcast to John Q. Public (or is is Jaques Q. Public) for free or via pay-per-view? Anyone that thinks showing an Indy Car race or not has anything to do with censorship is a moron. Until, of course, you think about that moron Trudeau. I can see him demanding they charge people to watch and use the money for CO2 offset credits.

--------------------

MB2

#260001 - 07/29/19 08:43 AM

I didn't vote for him.

So, how do you remember the 70's?

That the Trudeaus took as much from this country as they could.

Then the mother was diagnosed as certifiably crazy, and I asked my friends, if this was really a good good set of genes to elect for the leader of a country? I didn't vote for him.

Carbon credits are already screwing us over for everything from heat to gasoline, good thing I'm on geothermal heat. CC's aren't going to do a bit of good, because we emit so little pollution, based on our small population.

Edited by LongTimeGone (07/29/19 08:45 AM)

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260002 - 07/29/19 09:37 AM

When the smog covers the ice the sun will turn to purple haze in the East. Look to the moon and the loon for the answer.

Over.

--------------------

MB2

#260004 - 07/29/19 01:52 PM

I'm with Tim. This needs a movie quote:

Duke Caboom: "Let's caboom." - Toy Story 4

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260005 - 07/29/19 02:24 PM

"Why's he always calling me Meat? I'm the guy driving a Porsche." - Nuke Laloosh

--------------------

MB2

#260006 - 07/29/19 02:37 PM

"Are you crying? Are you crying? There's no crying. There's no crying in baseball!"

- Jimmy Dugan

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#260007 - 07/29/19 06:41 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
"Why's he always calling me Meat? I'm the guy driving a Porsche." - Nuke Laloosh

Dude..........watch more LetterKenny on Netflix. You can figure all this stuff out.

The Molson is cold, the sketters are bad, summer is about over and they aren’t happy snow is coming, there is a sale on Snow Tires Next week, club hockey starts soon, and a the RCMP are searching for a couple dirtbags.

Pitter Padder. Let’s get at er

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

MB2

#260008 - 07/29/19 07:49 PM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Thanks. Obviously, I don't get all The Blues home games on TV here, so I don't respond, so there's no point in reading.

TV broadcasting here is different. Videos, links, and news broadcasts are often made unavailable here, if there are no broadcast rights sold in this area. It happens more often than you might know.

It's also something to think about as the NHL gets a new TV deal.

Indycar (negotiated a new TV deal this year) and only allotted that The Indy 500 would be included in a free cable format. The balance of the races could only be streamed for a price. Fans raised hell, to get them to telecast The Toronto Indy for free, and they caved, including it on cable.

It is the reason though for our often muted response, to many things.

Oh, snap. Once again for the DAWG. I don't want to be American. Never crossed my mind. Rebuilding any bit of history, is about staying on the original though.

So, yes, in fact in small towns, like Letterkenny depicts, hockey players very often, want to leave.

Edited by LongTimeGone (07/31/19 06:12 PM)

wuchangAdministrator

#260010 - 07/30/19 09:27 AM

Canada....where curling has nothing to do with cosmetics

MB2

#260011 - 07/30/19 10:19 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Canada....where curling has nothing to do with cosmetics

And where basic human decency is often rare, when it comes to the little guy.

TORONTO -- A research study done for the Ontario Securities Commission says investors with small- and mid-sized portfolios may be receiving insufficient information about financial planning from their advisers.

It says 43 per cent of respondents said they didn't think their adviser provided education about financial concepts and the vast majority got no advice about debt management, tax and estate planning or planning for a family member.

--------------------

So, this is where I've been, for about 3 years. Looking after portfolios, for myself, and others (at no charge) who have been worked over by financial institutions, for their retirement money.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260012 - 07/30/19 04:23 PM

Do not put your money green dolphin, repeat: Do not put your money on the green dolphin.

Over.

--------------------

MB2

#260013 - 07/31/19 04:48 AM

And, it doesn't go down, like on the TeeVee low buck DIY trading platform advertisements either.

I didn't march into their offices and fire anyone. My adviser was so bad, that the brokerage canned him, while I was away. The brokerage V.P. sent me a "STAY CALM" letter, saying they'd fix me up with a new shyster. Every time a brokerage house gives you a new adviser, the incoming guy pays the old adviser for your book of business. I had months of reading to prepare. Then I started asking friends for the name of their advisers. No one was happy with their's either.

I had come to Jesus meetings with everyone they sent me, knew exactly what the fees were, and heard everything from, "This portfolio is perfectly set up." to "This portfolio is B.S." I asked everyone of them, about brokerages firing advisers, reasons for dismissal, and if they'd ever been fired.
Then, I started interviewing for an adviser attached to different brokerages, and they LOVE you, because they don't have to pay your old adviser for your book of business. "Would you like another martini with your CN Tower lunch Ma'am?" "I just happen to have an extra set of show tickets." "Toronto FC Soccer tickets?"

Then, I got back to the VEEP of the brokerage who sent me the STAY CALM letter, and asked him straight up, why the brokerage canned my adviser. He wouldn't answer me no way, no how. So, I fired his brokerage. It took me 7 months to get every bit of money transferred to new accounts. Been swimming in shark free waters ever since.

Guess who's former brokerage sent their private banking division to the NHL Draft to schmoose new money?

[image]https://images.app.goo.gl/pV41NjpTUhv78RMS7[/image]

last_stand

#260014 - 07/31/19 11:07 AM

You're a big thinker mb. And thoughts are a good thing.

Particularly when they stay in your head.

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260015 - 07/31/19 11:27 AM

“Those only are happy (I thought) who have their minds fixed on some object other than their own happiness; on the happiness of others, on the improvement of mankind, even on some art or pursuit, followed not as a means, but as itself an ideal end. Aiming thus at something else, they find happiness by the way. The enjoyments of life (such was now my theory) are sufficient to make it a pleasant thing, when they are taken en passant, without being made a principal object. Once make them so, and they are immediately felt to be insufficient. They will not bear a scrutinizing examination. Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so. The only chance is to treat, not happiness, but some end external to it, as the purpose of life. Let your self-consciousness, your scrutiny, your self-interrogation, exhaust themselves on that; and if otherwise fortunately circumstanced you will inhale happiness with the air you breathe, without dwelling on it or thinking about it, without either forestalling it in imagination, or putting it to flight by fatal questioning.”

........Over.

--------------------

MB2

#260016 - 07/31/19 12:46 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
“Those only are happy (I thought) who have their minds fixed on some object other than their own happiness; on the happiness of others, on the improvement of mankind, even on some art or pursuit, followed not as a means, but as itself an ideal end. Aiming thus at something else, they find happiness by the way. The enjoyments of life (such was now my theory) are sufficient to make it a pleasant thing, when they are taken en passant, without being made a principal object. Once make them so, and they are immediately felt to be insufficient. They will not bear a scrutinizing examination. Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so. The only chance is to treat, not happiness, but some end external to it, as the purpose of life. Let your self-consciousness, your scrutiny, your self-interrogation, exhaust themselves on that; and if otherwise fortunately circumstanced you will inhale happiness with the air you breathe, without dwelling on it or thinking about it, without either forestalling it in imagination, or putting it to flight by fatal questioning.”

........Over.

I swim with the sharks, no longer. I participate in the pursuit of the happiness of my friends, and my own.

Over.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Nipawin, Saskatchewan

#260017 - 07/31/19 02:51 PM

Is Wabo back?

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

MB2

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: IIFID]
      #260018 - 07/31/19 08:04 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Is Wabo back?

Obviously.

We get so busy, when we work, even if we love what we do.

It usually takes the smallest reminder to wake us up, when you are working on other people's memories...other people's stories.

The other week I had a lady call asking about a car that had been owned by her father. When he passed away, she was young and a single mother, and couldn't afford to purchase the car from her mother, even though she wanted it, because her favourite memory was driving around with her Dad. Then he got sick, and purchased the car of his dreams...a red 1964 Mustang.

He passed away 19 years ago, and I could lay my hands on that file in storage, within minutes, so that I could give her the VIN, and other details, so she could continue with a computerized search for the car.

Proud to say that livery isn't always about the rich and famous and the value of a car. Each one of them, is special to someone out there, and sometimes it just takes a phone call to wake us up to that, because otherwise, they just become a possession, with no meaning.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260019 - 07/31/19 08:55 PM

Here in my car
I know I've started to think
About leaving tonight
Although nothing seems right
In cars

--------------------

MB2

#260021 - 08/01/19 02:20 PM

Nay. Cathartic.

I drove home today with this blasting out my Harmon Kardon's.

Yeah. I finally had tears running down my face, instead of pent up anger at the system, instead of burying myself in work.

Toronto, in the late 70's my ex and I were living in the city, and didn't have any money, so we used to take my ex's 750 Norton to Varsity Stadium by the lake to watch The Argos scrimmages.

Their DB got hurt. As was the standard back then with rookies, they got my husband a better paying day job, but no club money to fill in.

He was only 5'7", but fast, and wore a 46 jacket. I love men that I can look directly in their eyes.

He got hurt playing football often.

He got hurt playing hockey often.

He medicated often.

Then, he couldn't look me in the eyes any longer.

So, I stuffed everything, loved him unconditionally and then left, later in the 80's.

I've never had this reaction to any loss before, and it has nothing to do with any of you. There was no memorial, no outlet, for someone who didn't treat other people well, but even my parents were crying, so I knew there was something wrong about the way I was treating this.

After 5 1/2 months, I thought I was going to break in two.

So thanks, I know there are young minds around here, with big aspirations, and I hope they all come true. Don't be deterred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNX96HbQcVM&list=RDaNX96HbQcVM&start_radio=1

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260022 - 08/01/19 08:18 PM

Well, I don't know what any of that is about, but I'm sorry for your loss. I always figure we make more out of death then we need to. I've seen a bunch of it. I doubt they miss us as much as we miss them.

--------------------

MB2

#260023 - 08/02/19 05:46 AM

They aren't all the same. Baseball guy is a friend, nothing more. He was brutal with me, because he's been with me through thick and thin. "There is no crying in baseball." You'd like him, his words were much more colourful than "Fork him, feed him fish heads."

When I took my granddaughter to see Toy Story 4, there is a toy called Duke Caboom, Canada's Greatest Stunt Driver. A replacement, if you will for Super Dave Osborne. He is advertised to jump long distances on his motorcycle, but keeps crashing, therefore, unwanted.

These things, made me laugh. I always knew, I'd out live him. Keeping my family and friends, are all that matter now.

sptsman

#260024 - 08/02/19 11:33 AM

This thread is like visiting Chernobyl. You can only stay in here for little bits at a time.

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260025 - 08/02/19 12:30 PM

Back off, Andy.....a little feller has died and Duke is about to jump over some chit.

--------------------

MB2

#260026 - 08/02/19 02:46 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Back off, Andy.....a little feller has died and Duke is about to jump over some chit.

All of the information I had, about how to get out of the house, what to do in any situation, when he appeared out of nowhere, kicked in my home, my family's homes, sent me pitiful letters from jail, came directly from drug enforcement officers, but through the auto squad. In my job I was in direct contact with the auto squad regularly. The auto squad knew my family and I to be honorable people. The people he was dealing with, were dangerous.

Because of these circumstances I always had to be aware of my surroundings, I don't do drugs, I rarely drink to excess.

So far, I have succeeded in giving my kid, a better life in his prime, than I ever had.

I thank the cops for that.

No matter how immune you are to this, thank you.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260027 - 08/02/19 04:38 PM

Yeah......that's pretty common, believe it or not.

I gave my kids a better life then I had, but I am prone to drink to excess, when I get the itch to, and in a couple of years I plan to smoke bushels of weed.....or truck loads, or a barge full, whichever is greater.

It's been a struggle for me to maintain a lifestyle that allows me to keep my job.....the only one I ever wanted.

This is truth.....the guys who were meant to be cops don't need a lick of thanks, nor do they care about protesting, disparaging remarks, or any of the BS that comes with it.....hunting bad guys is just too much fun to care what anyone thinks.

--------------------

DuckMeRunnin

Reged: 12/17/05

#260028 - 08/02/19 06:01 PM

Wu, would budget constraints allow the creation of a Therapy forum ?

Maybe an even trade for the Campfires and Singed Eyebrows forum forum that seems to be dying a slow painful death ?

griffinAdministrator
administrator

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: DuckMeRunnin]
      #260029 - 08/02/19 07:30 PM

Can I be the therapist.....I think I have some good advice for struggling folk.

If this is gonna require a resume I would just like to add that I have talked a half dozen people into being tazed and possibly one person into jumping from an overpass.

--------------------

Edited by griffin (08/02/19 07:33 PM)

MB2

#260030 - 08/02/19 08:01 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
Yeah......that's pretty common, believe it or not.

I gave my kids a better life then I had, but I am prone to drink to excess, when I get the itch to, and in a couple of years I plan to smoke bushels of weed.....or truck loads, or a barge full, whichever is greater.

It's been a struggle for me to maintain a lifestyle that allows me to keep my job.....the only one I ever wanted.

This is truth.....the guys who were meant to be cops don't need a lick of thanks, nor do they care about protesting, disparaging remarks, or any of the BS that comes with it.....hunting bad guys is just too much fun to care what anyone thinks.

MB2

#260031 - 08/03/19 05:21 AM

Quote:

DuckMeRunnin said:

Maybe an even trade for the Campfires and Singed Eyebrows forum forum that seems to be dying a slow painful death ?

Title: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Some of us shouldn't be allowed to mix with Mr. Zuckerberg's general population.

I had all of my old hen friends clucking at me, when I was playing Play-Doh with my granddaughter.

I began making Mr. Bill and Bluto figures. It didn't end well for Mr. Bill.

I'm sure when she gets to school this will be the conversation.

Teacher: "What did your Granny teach you? Sewing? Cooking? How to bait a hook?"

Granddaughter: "My Granny taught me about existential dread!"

dabsAdministrator

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #260032 - 08/03/19 06:42 AM

Quote:

DuckMeRunnin said:

What I find most therapeutic about this is seeing DMR branching out and making a post in the sports forum.

wuchangAdministrator

#260035 - 08/03/19 09:58 AM

Quote:

DuckMeRunnin said:

Greg.... if that is needed, I think we can handle it-- doesn't cost anything but time and some experimenting if it doesn't go as planned------

or we crash the entire dump

Quote:

griffin said:

If this is gonna require a resume I would just like to add that I have talked a half dozen people into being tazed and possibly one person into jumping from an overpass.

While I'm sure a dedicated forum "Ask Dr Mahatma Griffin-- famous humanitarian, dog and horse whisper Forum" would provide some chuckles and maybe even a few belly laughs--- we already benefit from your efforts

Hell, you even got Homer to be less Captain Obvious---for which a grateful nation acknowledges your accomplishment

Ok-- strap in

I keep this dump open for people to use ....or not use as they see fit to do--

Long Time Gone aka Miss Bud aka Blondie aka other nom de plume has all the privileges and rights as any other user of this forum and as long the rules of decorum established sooooooo long ago are not severely dented-- shall continue to be in good standing

Her analysis of several nationalities literature was spot on with the exception the Russian knot heads either do themselves in or are shipped to some gulag

Now I was always instructed to use CLEAR,CONCISE and COGENT statements, I realize that those who indulge in other philosophies may have difficulty with the concept and feel that long explanations are necessary...

For my part

Fork'em and feed them fish heads meets the rules of the forum and I feel confident that it meets the clear, concise and cogent definition....perhaps not as creative as I could express myself...but it works for me

BTW-- I was asked if a certain MDC education specialist was banned from this forum and the answer is no....said education specialist is not banned.......but I respect said yahoo's good judgment not to tempt fate twice..

As far as a new forum or substitute for an existing forum....y'all work among yourselves and let me know

out

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

#260036 - 08/03/19 10:35 AM

Quote:

wuchang said:
Quote:

DuckMeRunnin said:

Greg.... if that is needed, I think we can handle it-- doesn't cost anything but time and some experimenting if it doesn't go as planned------

or we crash the entire dump

Quote:

griffin said:

While I'm sure a dedicated forum "Ask Dr Mahatma Griffin-- famous humanitarian, dog and horse whisper Forum" would provide some chuckles and maybe even a few belly laughs--- we already benefit from your efforts

Hell, you even got Homer to be less Captain Obvious---for which a grateful nation acknowledges your accomplishment

Ok-- strap in

I keep this dump open for people to use ....or not use as they see fit to do--

Long Time Gone aka Miss Bud aka Blondie aka other nom de plume has all the privileges and rights as any other user of this forum and as long the rules of decorum established sooooooo long ago are not severely dented-- shall continue to be in good standing

Her analysis of several nationalities literature was spot on with the exception the Russian knot heads either do themselves in or are shipped to some gulag

Now I was always instructed to use CLEAR,CONCISE and COGENT statements, I realize that those who indulge in other philosophies may have difficulty with the concept and feel that long explanations are necessary...

For my part

Fork'em and feed them fish heads meets the rules of the forum and I feel confident that it meets the clear, concise and cogent definition....perhaps not as creative as I could express myself...but it works for me

BTW-- I was asked if a certain MDC education specialist was banned from this forum and the answer is no....said education specialist is not banned.......but I respect said yahoo's good judgment not to tempt fate twice..

As far as a new forum or substitute for an existing forum....y'all work among yourselves and let me know

out

My head hurts after reading all that. I had to google some of what you posted To keep up. Is it OK to do everclear shot followed by bourbon chasers at 9 am??? Asking for a friend

I’m gonna need a therapist soon the way things are
Up

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

DuckMeRunnin

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: H2ODOG]
      #260037 - 08/03/19 06:07 PM

I can't cite its origin, but, " Fork 'em and feed 'em fish heads" is a go to saying for me. My co-workers would substantiate that claim.

Bill, the monetary question was rhetoric. This place, at least to me, has never been anything but a form of therapy.

I hope that never changes. There's a long albeit sordid past shared by some of the individuals that still frequent this site. That seems fitting. I wouldn't change a thing.

Jeff, there's no clock in my stomach. 9 a.m. is the middle of the day for some folks.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260038 - 08/03/19 06:22 PM

Wu - if you ever need me to stop being the go to guy for any IT problems on the board and start paying my share, I'm all in.

You know I show my thanks every time you call me and ask me to fix something that these guys broke, but in case that's not enough.......man, truly, this place IS therapy!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Oh yeah.....as for Ms.B.....hell, she's awesome! Every considerable minute of a day I spend trying to figure out what the fork she is talking about is one I don't spend thinking about some other stupid chit.

Scott

--------------------

DuckMeRunnin

#260039 - 08/03/19 06:53 PM

Scott, I'm growing tired of fielding all the questions regarding astrophysics. You gonna field them as well ?

It sounds like much of your knowledge is being wasted on trivial matters.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260040 - 08/03/19 06:56 PM

I can do that, Greg. I had almost a full semester of Physics in 1980.

griffin

--------------------

DuckMeRunnin

#260041 - 08/03/19 07:10 PM

Never mind. You're obviously overqualified.

Just to put my mind at ease, tell me again how this ties into Binningotn's home town..................................

I' ma newbie at this sports chit.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260042 - 08/03/19 07:36 PM

Oh.....well, he got a car, which is life itself. He grew taller than 5'7 but he has a bird chest so he got that advantage, and he makes play-do people who can't score on him.

How forking hard is this dude?

--------------------

DuckMeRunnin

#260043 - 08/03/19 07:53 PM

Easier than you make it seem.

I understand a new car, but explain the benefit of a bird chest .

When I was about 4, my Grandmother ( in her terribly thick Irish Brogue ) formed my Play -Doh into what she called " Fuddy Duddy balls. She wanted to see how far I could throw that.

When all was said and done, I was out of Play-Doh and she was laughing. Thanks for bringing up such a traumatic memory.

MB2

#260045 - 08/03/19 08:14 PM

DuckMeRunnin

#260046 - 08/03/19 08:18 PM

Okay,.............. and that applies in what manner... ?

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260047 - 08/03/19 08:24 PM

Actually......that applies to all that ails us as a society.

I learned that in the 4 classes I attended one semester of sociology before I had to drop it or take an F.

--------------------

MB2

#260048 - 08/03/19 08:33 PM

Binnington's hometown is home to an annual Midget Hockey Tournament, as far back as when I lived there.

In addition, it is home to two men's figure skating champions.

However, that's not usually where the love of the game begins.

When we were kids, we'd skate on a rink that a neighbour's Dad poured between boards in his backyard. Didn't matter who you were, you just played. I learned to skate on hockey skates, my brother's hand me downs.

When I lived at the farm, my kid's friends would shovel the snow off the ponds, and play.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260049 - 08/03/19 09:09 PM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Binnington's hometown is home to an annual Midget Hockey Tournament, as far back as when I lived there.

In addition, it is home to two men's figure skating champions.

However, that's not usually where the love of the game begins.

When we were kids, we'd skate on a rink that a neighbour's Dad poured between boards in his backyard. Didn't matter who you were, you just played. I learned to skate on hockey skates, my brother's hand me downs.

When I lived at the farm, my kid's friends would shovel the snow off the ponds, and play.

Look dammit.....I grew up playing pond hockey....but the ponds don't freeze for long anymore. I blame goose flatulence in Canada, or possibly Jeff Foiles.

--------------------

MB2

#260050 - 08/03/19 09:40 PM

Then, I may suggest that you spend your winters in the desert with your truckload of weed, in few years,

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260051 - 08/03/19 09:43 PM

I'll never leave the Midwest.....ever

--------------------

MB2

#260052 - 08/03/19 09:53 PM

You are missing punctuation. Is that a statement, or an open ended sentence?

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260053 - 08/04/19 10:00 AM

DMR I would suggest that Griffin is way over qualified in assholephysics more than he is in astrophysics..

--------------------
Thought for the day; “It’s impossible to think outside of the box when all you do is think about getting inside of the box.”

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260054 - 08/04/19 10:04 AM

"I don't want to get into a 'he said, she said' with the refs...I'm the he."

—Chris Pronger

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260055 - 08/04/19 10:09 AM

"Watching a shootout is like admitting you watch Survivor or search the internet for porn."

—Brendan Shanahan

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260056 - 08/04/19 10:10 AM

"Why is a puck called a puck? Because dirty little bastard was taken."

—Martin Brodeur

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260057 - 08/04/19 10:11 AM

"All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity.
-Gordie Howe

--------------------

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260058 - 08/04/19 11:22 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
DMR I would suggest that Griffin is way over qualified in assholephysics more than he is in astrophysics..

That's very hurtful Timmy.....I have feelings dammit!!!

--------------------

MB2

#260059 - 08/04/19 11:33 AM

Quote:

griffin said:
Quote:

IIFID said:

That's very hurtful Timmy.....I have feelings dammit!!!

Both the observatory in our hometown, and Ducks Unlimited Canada received national historic registration last week, since we're still talking about chit no one cares about. I do frequent the observatory when I'm south.

In a play-off round, I'd say there are more assholes in DU.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260060 - 08/04/19 11:51 AM

This is why I don't golf or belong to DU.....it's full of assholes with clubs and guns.

--------------------

MB2

#260061 - 08/04/19 12:53 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
This is why I don't golf or belong to DU.....it's full of assholes with clubs and guns.

This is why I have outside interests, besides golf. Ugh, it's all politics 24/7. I get away from the noise. You maybe don't join, but we all elect one who does.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260062 - 08/04/19 12:58 PM

I'm not a joiner...........ever

--------------------

MB2

#260063 - 08/04/19 01:20 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
I'm not a joiner...........ever

We have one guy that we got to know pretty well, from Oregon. He and his granddaughter's boyfriend got into it over politics so bad last winter that the granddaughter and the boyfriend, just packed up and left without waking he and his wife, the next morning.

Decent enough guy, but both he and his wife never stop. We have seen him lose other friends this way. He won't go into the clubhouse if one of the lady bartenders is serving that day, because he got into a shouting match with her 2 years ago. But, geez, your granddaughter??

So, I just keep my distance, especially when they drink, and why I take courses, volunteer and go out with other friends to shows.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260064 - 08/04/19 01:51 PM

Griffin may not be a joiner.. but from earlier post it sounds like you will soon be a "joint-er".

--------------------

MB2

#260065 - 08/04/19 02:02 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Griffin may not be a joiner.. but from earlier post it sounds like you will soon be a "joint-er".

lol

There's another thing. It's legal here to use it, however, using is reason for the US to turn you away at the border. So is owning US pot shares on the NYSE.

I just go to Dairy Queen, buy the ice cream cakes decorated with leaves, and chow down on that.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260066 - 08/04/19 02:50 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:

Not soon enough.....moved the twins into their sorority house yesterday at Mizzou for their sophomore year....so 2 1/2 more years of work. I'm gonna walk the graduation walk with them....throwing police chit into the crowd. 35 years will be enough.....plenty enough.

Then.............all bets are off, legal or not.

--------------------

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260070 - 08/05/19 08:08 AM

Godddayum I feel old thinking about the twins being sophomores in college! Course alot of you prolly feel the same way when I say Jake aka The Peanut is 25...

--------------------

sptsman

#260071 - 08/05/19 08:14 AM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Decent enough guy, but both he and his wife never stop. We have seen him lose other friends this way.

Then he's not a decent enough guy at all. He's an arsehole. He needs to understand that's why Al Gore invented this internet thingy. It is where you can go to spew your know-it-all chit and not lose all of your friends and relatives. Of course it whips the unstable into a shooting frenzy, killing dozens of innocent people but at least you still have your friends and relatives.

--------------------

MB2

#260073 - 08/05/19 11:34 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Decent enough guy, but both he and his wife never stop. We have seen him lose other friends this way.

Then he's not a decent enough guy at all. He's an arsehole. He needs to understand that's why Al Gore invented this internet thingy. It is where you can go to spew your know-it-all chit and not lose all of your friends and relatives. Of course it whips the unstable into a shooting frenzy, killing dozens of innocent people but at least you still have your friends and relatives.

I have seen him nurse his old dog, until she passed. That's all I meant. It's my husband who ignores his calls and texts for golf and social events.....because he cheats at golf.

Also, days like this on the stock market, and the ones I believe are to follow soon, are exactly why I had to fight with the bankers, so I could prepare portfolios in advance for my family and friends. Now that there's nothing left to prepare, I just sit and watch.. it's all a game of chance, last stand.

Not so crazy after all...

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260074 - 08/05/19 12:23 PM

Master WU,
I seem to remember there being a Wabonese translator back in the day. Is there an LTG translator in this dump? Asking for a friend or actually a lot of friends..

--------------------

MB2

#260075 - 08/05/19 12:39 PM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Master WU,
I seem to remember there being a Wabonese translator back in the day. Is there an LTG translator in this dump? Asking for a friend or actually a lot of friends..

Hi Tim. Not you the banker, but my own investment banker. Do you think, the market's going into a decline?

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260076 - 08/05/19 12:46 PM

The market ALWAYS goes into a decline, and then it comes out of the decline and rises to a record level. That's the way the market has always worked, and the way it will always be.

Timing may or may not matter, depending on individual situations.

In the long run, put money in the stock market and leave it there.

--------------------

MB2

#260077 - 08/05/19 01:10 PM

Quote:

griffin said:

Timing may or may not matter, depending on individual situations.

I spent all of last October, locking down money for elderly people, who can't afford to lose anything.

griffinAdministrator
administrator

#260078 - 08/05/19 04:12 PM

If you would have locked down my account in Oct. I'd have $82,000 less than I have today in my retirement account and I'd have fired your ass already.

--------------------

MB2

#260079 - 08/05/19 04:59 PM

Quote:

griffin said:
If you would have locked down my account in Oct. I'd have $82,000 less than I have today in my retirement account and I'd have fired your ass already.

Good for you. I didn't say I locked down ALL their money.

I sold some losers where the fees were eating up their profits, and locked that down.

Dude, you ever sit in a bar in the 70's for a long periods of time, it's like that. You shoot pool, feed the jukebox, the video games, and I could stay up all night playing backgammon, btw.

This is like Pacman. You eat the ghosts, like you eat these fees, but eventually, that one little rat bastage ghost eats YOU.

Then it's closing time, and last call, and there's no way to recover.

That's what I got rid of for them - under performing funds with high fees. Most investment bankers want you to keep them, because they get a share of those fees.

Now, back in the 70's you'd say, no problem. I'll hunt down that same Pacman machine the next night and keep playing, until I get them ALL.

But, it's not the 70's, the bar is gone, the Pacman game is in a pile with all the other Pacman games out back , so you can't get revenge.

So, you put your quarters away.

last_stand

#260080 - 08/05/19 05:06 PM

Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:

I have seen him nurse his old dog, until she passed. That's all I meant. It's my husband who ignores his calls and texts for golf and social events.....because he cheats at golf.

Also, days like this on the stock market, and the ones I believe are to follow soon, are exactly why I had to fight with the bankers, so I could prepare portfolios in advance for my family and friends. Now that there's nothing left to prepare, I just sit and watch.. it's all a game of chance, last stand.

MB...please...to be here you must at the very least remember who you are typing to.

The wife and I have been self employed since '87.

Most don't know what a game of chance really is.

--------------------

MB2

#260081 - 08/05/19 05:09 PM

Quote:

last_stand said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:
Quote:

sptsman said:
Quote:

LongTimeGone said:

MB...please...to be here you must at the very least remember who you are typing to.

The wife and I have been self employed since '87.

Most don't know what a game of chance really is.

wuchangAdministrator

#260082 - 08/05/19 06:45 PM

1st rule in any game of chance is

Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose

MB2

#260083 - 08/05/19 08:00 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
1st rule in any game of chance is

Don’t bet more than you can afford to lose

You're a conservative, aren't you?

Yep. Which is why all portfolios are different. My granddaughter's education fund, that she won't be able to touch for another 15 years, is far, far different than any other I manage. It's the long bet.

1) Don't look online for info online - unless it's from an independent professional who isn't getting paid to sell you stocks. Most are you know? If you do want independent online info, you'll have to pay for it.

2) Do your research on the management of the company you want to buy.

3) Don't slam those bank doors behind you if you decide to leave one. They'll still talk to you and send you their research. They do want you back.

4) Talk to real (hopefully successful) people about what you're doing.

5) Walk. If you want to buy Apple shares, walk into one of their stores, see if it looks busy, watch what people are looking at and buying.

Make the bet.

IIFID
Bond....Timmy Bond

#260089 - 08/06/19 07:49 AM

Dear Master Wu,
When you get done setting up the Therapy page to be moderated by Dr. Griffin, will you please set up an Investment Page for this kind of talk? Asking for 10's of friends.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator

#260090 - 08/06/19 07:54 AM

A conservative???
Not so much on some things,but that doesn't eliminate the use of common sense

I remember my parents telling me if I was counting on some inheritance, then I was going to be disappointed

I told them to spend every nickel because I didn't need their money--- they raised me to make my own

Molly and I gave my niece and nephew each a good used car
and 6 months of auto insurance so they would have dependable transportation to get to work

I figure they have to "learn to cross a river under fire" just like we did when we were their age.

Wisdom = good judgment
Good judgment = Experience
Experience = Poor Judgment

Nothing like waking up with $30 in the bank and no job --after sinking everything in a business with the rent due to motivate someone as an example of the above

smoke if you got'em

wuchangAdministrator

#260091 - 08/06/19 07:56 AM

Quote:

IIFID said:
Dear Master Wu,
When you get done setting up the Therapy page to be moderated by Dr. Griffin, will you please set up an Investment Page for this kind of talk? Asking for 10's of friends.

Patience

This too will pass Grasshopper

MB2

#260116 - 08/07/19 01:27 PM

Quote:

wuchang said:
A conservative???
Not so much on some things,but that doesn't eliminate the use of common sense

I remember my parents telling me if I was counting on some inheritance, then I was going to be disappointed

I told them to spend every nickel because I didn't need their money--- they raised me to make my own

Molly and I gave my niece and nephew each a good used car
and 6 months of auto insurance so they would have dependable transportation to get to work

I figure they have to "learn to cross a river under fire" just like we did when we were their age.

Wisdom = good judgment
Good judgment = Experience
Experience = Poor Judgment

Nothing like waking up with $30 in the bank and no job --after sinking everything in a business with the rent due to motivate someone as an example of the above

smoke if you got'em

Wisdom = Knowledge of what could go wrong
Experience = Hard work of entire family self employed since 1967
Good Judgement = Cautious choices

Common sense = Not jumping off a cliff because someone says to.

Bubba
strangesly aroused

Loc: Lemmingstan

#260152 - 08/12/19 02:10 PM

Im in the Alaskan wilderness for a week or so and come home to this...now im depressed.

--------------------
God Bless our Troops!

MB2

Re: Binnington's hometown [Re: Bubba]
      #260215 - 08/27/19 09:00 AM

You shouldn't be.

Baseball guy was at a private party last week, with the Stanley Cup.

I had my granddaughter out Sunday afternoon, to a custom car, bike and gun show.

Her first ride in car with no seat belt, no car seat. What could go wrong? A lot, actually.

What actually happened:

She loved it, just like we all used to.....

last_stand

#260217 - 08/27/19 09:12 AM

Yep I remember hanging out the back of our '59 Ford station wagon blowing out my hot dog and cream soda lunch on hwy 21.

Them were the days.

--------------------

MB2

Re: Binnington's hometown *DELETED* [Re: last_stand]
      #260219 - 08/27/19 01:46 PM

Post deleted by MB2

last_stand

#260226 - 08/28/19 05:41 AM

She's a cutie!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 3080 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Mel 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 2615

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page