CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Griffins Dog People Forum

Pages: 1
sptsman

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: Missouri

Got a new Lab...
      #263456 - 06/09/22 10:03 PM

...last October. She is shaping up nicely. Dove season will be the warm-up and before you know it, duck season will be here. Looking forward to seeing her work!!

--------------------
"Hunts are best measured by the endurance of the memories they produce..."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HAUS
member for now

Loc: Paradise

Re: Got a new Lab... [Re: sptsman]
      #263458 - 06/10/22 05:58 PM

congrats!!

did you get a black or yellar?

after 10 yrs without one, i picked up a GSP pup in march.
same boat, looking forward to seeing him work this fall/winter

--------------------
Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day..

sptsman

Re: Got a new Lab... [Re: HAUS]
      #263468 - 06/16/22 08:08 AM

Black female… It’s been several years without a lab for me as well. I’ve never spent the kind of time and money on one like this. I’m actually using a trainer this time around. So far, so good.

The Mrs. is also on board, so that helps. She’s up for throwing bumpers and dead ducks as needed. 😂

--------------------

sptsman

#263603 - 08/29/22 11:36 PM

Well, she turned 1 last week and passed the first two of four Junior Hunt Tests on Sunday. Not sure why I did the tests but glad I did. She passed with flying colors but I found a few holes in my training that I need to work on. I’ll probably go ahead and enter the two more needed to get JH behind her name. Not sure I am motivated to do the senior tests after that but we’ll see. I’m much more interested in how she performs with the doves and then ducks…

--------------------

dabsAdministrator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: New Money, USA

Current High Scores in:
Mini Golf II
      #263610 - 09/06/22 11:12 AM

Quote:

sptsman said:
Well, she turned 1 last week and passed the first two of four Junior Hunt Tests on Sunday. Not sure why I did the tests but glad I did. She passed with flying colors but I found a few holes in my training that I need to work on. I’ll probably go ahead and enter the two more needed to get JH behind her name. Not sure I am motivated to do the senior tests after that but we’ll see. I’m much more interested in how she performs with the doves and then ducks…

Well - how did the dove hunt go?

I just can't bring myself to jump into the trial world...not at all because of my pups abilities, I simply just don't need another hobby. My pup is four and I let her have a litter last July before getting her spayed. One of the pups went to a guy who was buying it for his 13 year-old son. Said he never had interest in sports, but liked going to hunt tests with him so he was getting him his own dog....they have been sending me pics and hung a Jr title on him two months ago...kind of cool to watch that unfold.

dab

sptsman

Re: Got a new Lab... [Re: dabs]
      #263632 - 09/15/22 07:49 AM

Quote:

dabs said:
Quote:

sptsman said:

Well - how did the dove hunt go?

I just can't bring myself to jump into the trial world...not at all because of my pups abilities, I simply just don't need another hobby. My pup is four and I let her have a litter last July before getting her spayed. One of the pups went to a guy who was buying it for his 13 year-old son. Said he never had interest in sports, but liked going to hunt tests with him so he was getting him his own dog....they have been sending me pics and hung a Jr title on him two months ago...kind of cool to watch that unfold.

dab

Went on a dove hunt weekend away and didn’t take her. My buddy brought his male that isn’t fixed or trained and I didn’t quite know how things would go. I left her home and will be talking her Friday and over the weekend on a few dove hunts. I can’t imagine she’ll have any issues. Hopefully there will be some birds flying. We’ll see…

I’m with you on the trials. That seems to be a whole lifestyle thing. Between the daily training and the travel and the tests, I just don’t have the time. I’m not giving up any hunting, fishing, golf, etc. for it. And mama is not going to let me miss weddings and family stuff. I’ll finish up the Junior Hunt title but can’t see going further. The folks that are into it seem to be pretty committed to it. I’m not sure you do that whole thing half-arsed.

--------------------

hucklburry

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Daniel Boone's Neighborhood

#263633 - 09/15/22 10:02 AM

I got kinda lucky at the time, a trainer out of Sorensons would set a time, and show with his dogs and the frozen ducks, a bunch of us would show, setup tests, throw ducks, and run our dogs, taking turns throwing, and the trainer would run his dogs as well. It was a great time, a junior title is fun. We trained at busch wildife or Sorenson property or friends properties.

I agree, beyond the JH, getting into blind retrieves, is a lot of work, beyond what I wanted to commit.

I could see doing it again some time with a future pup, like in retirement....

sptsman

Re: Got a new Lab... [Re: hucklburry]
      #263636 - 09/16/22 12:27 PM

Quote:

hucklburry said:
I got kinda lucky at the time, a trainer out of Sorensons would set a time, and show with his dogs and the frozen ducks, a bunch of us would show, setup tests, throw ducks, and run our dogs, taking turns throwing, and the trainer would run his dogs as well. It was a great time, a junior title is fun. We trained at busch wildife or Sorenson property or friends properties.

I agree, beyond the JH, getting into blind retrieves, is a lot of work, beyond what I wanted to commit.

I could see doing it again some time with a future pup, like in retirement....

We did the same with a trainer. Obviously, it was good work for the dogs but it was very good for me to have gone through some mock runs, land and water. He explained how it all would go down and we ran as if we were at the hunt test. When I finally got to the actual test, there was very little worry about what was going on and what to do. I was especially thankful I wasn't given the #1 spot. After watching a few, it was a piece of cake. My wife, on the other hand, nearly gave herself a stroke, worrying that her baby wouldn't pass...

There was quite a bit of mumbling about one of the land retrieves. Apparently, at the Junior level they have a 100 yard limit on the retrieves. We had one that was downhill and 135 yards (per google earth measurement). Very few dogs didn't have to hunt a little for that bird. A few dogs did not pass that one. I'm not sure if the owners protested or not. I'm told some judges/marshals get pretty testy if you question how they set up the test. Had that happened to me, I would have at least asked for my entry fee back.

--------------------

wuchangAdministrator
spiritual advisor and gatekeeper to the Spirit World

Loc: uphill

#263637 - 09/17/22 08:27 AM

Congrats Andy

Glad you had fun and momma’s baby passed without too much trauma and drama

Enjoy hunting over her this year…..you both are gonna do well

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  OYD, hunth2ofowl 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 520

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page