CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Main Forum >> Waterfowl

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)
salty

Reged: 12/15/05
Loc: Madison, MS

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: Mac]
      #55671 - 08/30/06 01:35 PM

I don't have a dog in this fight, but you didn?t factor in the hit you take from the instantaneous depreciation of buying a new vehicle. I don?t do all of the number crunching and chit ya?ll are talking about, but buying a brand new truck or outboard in the name of ?saving money in fuel? is just stupid. When you buy it, say you are buying it for the real reason, BECAUSE YOU WANT IT. If you want to save real money, down grade your vehicle substantially to a fuel efficient car or just keep driving whatever beater you have until the wheels or prop fall off.

If you like having new stuff and can afford it, good for you. If you are like the rest of us and can?t throw money around like it?s nothing, buying used and paying cash is the real key to saving money.

Being 100% free of debt feels great, you should try it.

Kevin

--------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Reged: 12/22/05

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: ducksBit]
      #55674 - 08/30/06 01:38 PM

The 03' fuel filter for my dodge is $39.00 at the dealer......of course I can buy the same damn filter from Cummings in town for 1/2 the price. I know ya gotta buy the truck from the dealer but it doesn't mean ya gotta buy their oil and filters.

--------------------
It’s better to be hated for who you are, instead of loved for who you aren’t.

ducksBit

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: St. Paul, where else...

Current High Scores in:
Frogger
Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: H2ODOG]
      #55676 - 08/30/06 01:41 PM

With all the damn driving you do, are you still doing oil changes every 3 or 5k?

--------------------
Cummin, not Strokin

"give us water, we will slaughter"

Mel

Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: Burk]
      #55681 - 08/30/06 01:45 PM

Hello, "Dogs on Ice" lives again in a another life, and form.

--------------------
Member DU, Delta

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names - John Kennedy

Tigerhaze

Loc: Deepwater Creek Country

Current High Scores in:
PacMan
Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: salty]
      #55682 - 08/30/06 01:46 PM

Quote:

salty said:
If you like having new stuff and can afford it, good for you. If you are like the rest of us and can?t throw money around like it?s nothing, buying used and paying cash is the real key to saving money.

Kevin

I know that's right!

--------------------
"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy."~ Josey Wales

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: Mel]
      #55683 - 08/30/06 01:48 PM

If I do a bunch of real hard heavy pullin I try to change the oil every 3500 miles. 7 days a week pullin a loaded 24' trailer put a toll on the oil.

Most of the miles are highway so the truck oil gets changed about 5-6K miles.

--------------------

Krazy

#55686 - 08/30/06 01:51 PM

Salty...fer sum of us yer spot on in regards to want over need. I dont need a new truck....but tired of the 6 year old horse I got and even more tired of the "ass" smell in the sumbitch.

Anybody got any depreciation numbers to throw out there for a fella that keeps a ride for 6 years? I figure the truck I got now aint gonna go down in valule too much more....but the maint costs are gonna kick in soon Im sure.

I put new brakes and turned the rotors all around a couple weeks ago $125.

New battery comin anyday...still milkin the one from the factory.

Tires, power steering pump, tranny svc, cv boots/joints, u-joints, rear diff gasket, transfer case svc, seals..and who knows what else.

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#55688 - 08/30/06 01:52 PM

Quote:

salty said:
If you want to save real money, down grade your vehicle substantially to a fuel efficient car or just keep driving whatever beater you have until the wheels or prop fall off.

I'll try buyin a fuel efficient car next time.....where do I install the gooseneck at? And just where do I place the 20 dozen duck decoys, my dog, 3 buddies and all our gear. Oh wait, I need to go find a used CLOWN Car....my bad.

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#55691 - 08/30/06 01:56 PM

Quote:

salty said:
If you want to save real money, down grade your vehicle substantially to a fuel efficient car or just keep driving whatever beater you have until the wheels or prop fall off.
Kevin

Here's another lesson in Business 102. If you own a vehicle and you do actual expenses...not straight line milage.....well after the depreciation you start LOOSING money on that vehicle after you own it 3 years. You either run it into the ground and go buy another or trade it off.

After 3 years my truck will have close to 150,000+ miles and its getting worn out. A truck with a warranty is a good thing.

--------------------

Krazy

#55694 - 08/30/06 02:01 PM

Quote:

A truck with a warranty is a good thing.

And a warranty that the manufacturer actually stands behind is even better yet!

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#55696 - 08/30/06 02:02 PM

Quote:

salty said:

Kevin

Obviously you don't own a house. Not all of us can afford to piss away rent money every month or live in our parent basements.

What happens if ya pay cash for new stuff?? Am I still ahead????

--------------------

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: Krazy]
      #55697 - 08/30/06 02:03 PM

Quote:

Krazy said:
Quote:

A truck with a warranty is a good thing.

And a warranty that the manufacturer actually stands behind is even better yet!

Better buy a Ford then.

--------------------

Duckv

Loc: You see that sign says Riiib T...

#55723 - 08/30/06 02:38 PM

My suburban has a gas engine. It's not as strong as my buddy's truck with a diesel engine. I use his truck when I need to pull my back hoe.

And speaking of hoe's---any one of you heathens would dip your balls in that chick in GoGop's post, and I call bullchit on any statement otherwise. Aint nobody engaged in a 6 page conversation about the operating costs of a diesel vs. a gas engine gonna convince me that she's beneath their standards. Now, I'm not saying I'd walk a trail of broken glass if she was at the other end, but, c'mon, you'd hit it.

I think I've seen her at the draw at Otter.

salty

#55725 - 08/30/06 02:38 PM

Well, dog, I would say that you need a big truck and keeping a newer one is better in your case, because having a truck in for repairs is costing you money not only for repair, but in time away from working. I was speaking in terms of a general person owning a truck and only puts on 15-20K a year.

I drive a turd ford ranger (which gets chitty gas mileage by the way) and I wouldn't drive a forking car either. It was just an example to illustrate the marginality in savings (for the average Joe) of comparing one truck to another when the difference in mileage is only a couple MPG different. My personal preference is to pay for a $400 repair every now and then, than having to pay some dude $400 every month on a note. I also hate giving a dude $2,000-$3,000 in interest over a time period, when I could have saved the money over the same amount of time and came out that $2,000-$3,000 ahead.

To further drive home the message to the ?why use my money when I can use theirs crowd.? Compare the ending amount due for 15 year fixed rate home mortgage ($150,000 for a $100,000 home) to that of a typical 30 year fixed rate (around $210,000 for a $100,000 home). Is the $250 difference per month worth the loss of $60,000 over those 15 years? Not to me. (Don?t bring up the difference in taxes for a paid for house versus a being paid for house, because the added amount of money you pay for taxes in a year is always less than the amount of money you would have thrown at that mortgage.) If the average Joe would follow principles like this and invest the money that he would have paid in interest to the bank, then a lot of us could say fork you to the boss man early and quit work while they are still able to chase ducks hard (and be able to afford it!).

This thread went from a dude asking a simple question about gas mileage to a pissing match to maintenance tips to financing a home and saving for retirement. To further drive this thread off the tracks, raise your hand if you got laid recently?

--------------------

Mac
Birding Moderator

Loc: The Great State of Nebraskey

#55727 - 08/30/06 02:44 PM

"Salty the Thread Killa!"

Duckv

Loc: You see that sign says Riiib T...

#55728 - 08/30/06 02:44 PM

If I had gotten laid recently, would I be looking at pictures of the AR-15 chick?

salty

#55729 - 08/30/06 02:44 PM

Quote:

What happens if ya pay cash for new stuff?? Am I still ahead????

Fork right you are!

Yeah, I rent still and do hate to piss that money away. But when I get to a place that I am going to be for a few years, I'm going with the 15 year fixed rate!

Kevin

--------------------

salty

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: Mac]
      #55731 - 08/30/06 02:49 PM

Quote:

"Salty the Thread Killa!"

I have a tendency to do that. I bet if a person read this thing from start to finish, they wouldn't even know what the first question was about.

--------------------

Krazy

#55733 - 08/30/06 02:50 PM

Quote:

salty said:
I drive a turd ford ranger (which gets chitty gas mileage by the way) and I wouldn't drive a forking car either. It was just an example to illustrate the marginality in savings (for the average Joe) of comparing one truck to another when the difference in mileage is only a couple MPG different. My personal preference is to pay for a $400 repair every now and then, than having to pay some dude $400 every month on a note. I also hate giving a dude $2,000-$3,000 in interest over a time period, when I could have saved the money over the same amount of time and came out that $2,000-$3,000 ahead.

Dude...I know yer in Missislipi now....but 0% interest means the man dont get nothin extra. Xplan pricing is as cheap as it gets. So where you goin with yer "I drive a piece of chit ranger because its better"?

All the while being debt free.

Since yer debt free you either own yer house outright or like dog says yer pissin yer money away on rent. If yer rentin...yer missin out come tax time. Not to mention that buyin a house is a better investment than pourin yer money down a rat hole with yer monthly rent check.

If you own....how big is that double wide you got down there in Missislippi?

Now you got a dog in the fight....so bring it on!

H2ODOG
the one who never tires

#55736 - 08/30/06 02:53 PM

Quote:

salty said:

To further drive home the message to the ?why use my money when I can use theirs crowd.? Compare the ending amount due for 15 year fixed rate home mortgage ($150,000 for a $100,000 home) to that of a typical 30 year fixed rate (around $210,000 for a $100,000 home). Is the $250 difference per month worth the loss of $60,000 over those 15 years? Not to me. (Don?t bring up the difference in taxes for a paid for house versus a being paid for house, because the added amount of money you pay for taxes in a year is always less than the amount of money you would have thrown at that mortgage.) If the average Joe would follow principles like this and invest the money that he would have paid in interest to the bank, then a lot of us could say fork you to the boss man early and quit work while they are still able to chase ducks hard (and be able to afford it!).

Ya got me thinkin Kevin.....I'm sellin the house and moving into a trailer park...the cheaper the better. That way with the money I make off my house sellin price, I can afford to pay rent to the local meth dealer for the next 40 years. I'll save on Mortgage payments, homeowners insurance, and those nasty Personal Propery Taxes in December. What was I thinking?

Afterall, I paid $160,000 for a house 7 years ago that appraised earlier this year for $245,000.....................yep I'm in a money losing situation here. Anyone know a good realator????? I need to sell before things get worse.

--------------------

Dos Gris

Loc: Transplanted

#55744 - 08/30/06 02:58 PM

You check the market lately dunce?
To get back to the 5th or so subject......I have the dealer
change the FF in the truck dude. I don't like takin the
fuel bath under the cab.
Any who, I think the housing market has tanked in Mo.
hasn't it.
B

--------------------
"Professional water-swatter"

salty

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: Krazy]
      #55749 - 08/30/06 03:02 PM

You can't get 0% on anything, but a new vehicle (Correct?). "Used cars have already depreciated (60 to 70% in the first 5 years). Buying used allows the person who bought the car when it was new to eat the cost of the depreciation." --Dave Ramsey (Yes, I've been brain washed to some degree)

You are saving money by not eating the depreciation. They are making money on the high-arse mark up.

I am in grad-school, now so I am pissing away money by renting. However, by renting a couple years, saving money for a bigger down payment, and then going with the 15 year note on a house, I will still be more ahead than if I had a crappy down payment and decided to go with the 30 year note for the relatively little savings per month.

--------------------

Dos Gris

Loc: Transplanted

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: griffin]
      #55753 - 08/30/06 03:04 PM

Dude...If your makin 4% on your money you shouldn't be
braggin. Hell, you might as well turn over
the financial reigns to your wife.
You ever figure that the intrest may be rolled into the
original purchase price???
BTW wizzard, weren't you going to trade the big diesel in
for an E85 burban a few months ago?
B

--------------------
"Professional water-swatter"

Krazy

Re: Fuel mileage on diesel trucks [Re: Dos Gris]
      #55755 - 08/30/06 03:05 PM

Quote:

Dos Gris said:
I think the housing market has tanked in Mo.
hasn't it.
B

Thanks for the tip Nostrodamus!

If thats so then its just another cycle of economics....hell every barge deck hand knows that!

How is they say with investing "Buy low and sell high"?

salty

#55757 - 08/30/06 03:06 PM

Quote:

Ya got me thinkin Kevin.....I'm sellin the house and moving into a trailer park...the cheaper the better. That way with the money I make off my house sellin price, I can afford to pay rent to the local meth dealer for the next 40 years. I'll save on Mortgage payments, homeowners insurance, and those nasty Personal Propery Taxes in December. What was I thinking?

Afterall, I paid $160,000 for a house 7 years ago that appraised earlier this year for $245,000.....................yep I'm in a money losing situation here. Anyone know a good realator????? I need to sell before things get worse.

You?re taking what I said out of context in an excellent attempt at being a smart arse. Owning is better than renting when you are staying put for a while, but a 15 year note, will save you more in the long term than a 30 year note.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1931 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:   

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 16276

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page