CafeOutdoors.com The way it was...the way it always will be!!!

Miscellaneous Stuff >> Swampfox's Joke Section

Pages: 1
SwampFoxModerator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

Carp
      #59555 - 09/23/06 09:17 AM

21 September, 2006 -
SILVER carp ? notorious for their dangerous jumping and ecological damage to rivers and lakes in the USA ? are at the centre of talks to carry out new research. In a bid to ?make good food of bad fish?, Rob Hayward, fisheries researcher at the University of Missouri-Columbia, Duane Chapman, a fisheries biologist with the U.S. Geological Survey and a team of researchers, are looking to convert the fish into food for zoo animals.

The carp, which were introduced 30 years ago by private fish farmers, have allegedly posed repeated threats to fishermen and native fish. Indeed Chapman reports: ?They can break your nose or knock you out of the boat?, leading to the fishermen having to wear protective gear.
For fishermen, the carp provide little profit in terms of harvesting. However, if converted into food, they could become commercially viable, and at the same time save the zoo money. At present the zoo purchases approximately 60 tonnes of fish, such as mackerel and herring. If the carp became an option, this would save them money, as up to 25 per cent of the original food could be replaced.
Penguins, sea lions and pelicans will be the first contestants to taste the new food, if the study goes ahead next spring.
www.fishupdate.com is published by Special Publications. Special Publications also publish FISHupdate magazine, Fish Farmer, the Fish Industry Yearbook, the Scottish Seafood Processors Federation Diary, the Fish Farmer Handbook and a range of wallplanners.

Watch it SF! Postin carp crap could land you in hot water mister.

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cook

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: in my underwear

Re: Carp [Re: SwampFox]
      #59558 - 09/23/06 09:27 AM

Now you can have your carpcake and eat it,too.

SwampFoxModerator

Reged: 12/13/05
Loc: Mid Mo

Re: Carp [Re: cook]
      #59564 - 09/23/06 09:40 AM

Where's Marie Antonette when you need her?

--------------------
"Being deeply learned and skilled, being well trained and using well spoken words; this is good luck."

cook

Reged: 12/14/05
Loc: in my underwear

Re: Carp [Re: SwampFox]
      #59600 - 09/23/06 01:56 PM

were you as bored as me this morning?Took grandson out and got into a bunch of crappie on smithville once he woke up.Tormemting Mr.twister is as much fun.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8523 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  SwampFox, JimDog 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 786

Rate this topic

Jump to

Contact Us Return to Main Page